Post your lifehacks

Was reminded of this from a Facebook status just now.

Razor blades:

To get more use out of those expensive replacement blades, dry it after each use. You'll get much more usage out of it.

Post yours :P

Two that I found on the Internet that work well:

• Put your shower nozzles/taps in a bag filled with white vinegar and leave overnight. It will descale them well.
  • To remove the odour from the inside of your shoes, put rolled up newspaper in them and leave them overnight.
  • Like 4

Put dryer sheets under the seats in your car to remove any bad smells.

At the ends of most Tinfoil and Saran wrap packages are two tabs you can push in, this will prevent the rolls from falling out.

When using a plunger to unclog the toilet, push the plunger over the hole slowly all the way down, then pull back fast.  Don't try and push the clog down, pull it up.

In some electronic devices that require two batteries, you can sometimes get away with using 1 (if you don't have two) and using a paper clip in place of the second battery.  This will complete the circuit (the device will die faster than using two). 

When microwaving popcorn pop it in the bag and also put in a glass/mug of water.  The moisture from that water will prevent the popcorn from drying out.

When making popcorn, don't worry about buying the butter flavor (usually just a powder/cheap mixture) you can get better results by metling butter and pouring it over the popcorn.

When in a meeting or around others (as a male) try to make yourself as big as possible.  Be it sitting up with your shoulder back, or leaning back with your elbows out.  This increases the testosterone levels, and makes you feel more confident and project more confidence to others.

To stop shyness, or help with shyness, try and approach at least 1 situation per day and do the opposite of what you normally would.  If a roommate has friends over, and you normally stick to your room go out and say hi, even if it is just a quick hey how are you.  If you see someone needing help and you would normally walk by, offer to help.  By doing 1 a day you can remain in your comfort zone, while still going out of it.

Those are the ones I've heard and remembered off the top of my head, I am sure I've read more.. but for those are the ones that came to mind.

• Like 2

At the ends of most Tinfoil and Saran wrap packages are two tabs you can push in, this will prevent the rolls from falling out.

I will check this in a bit (y)

I will check this in a bit (Y)

It's true, but I've always found them to be useless, the roll still flies out of the container. :laugh:
  • Like 3

Wrap twist ties over multiple cables for easy cable grouping and management. 41_B0chs_Kwg_L_SY300.jpg

For a quick and simple nail/stud finder, attach a string to a strong magnet, like a hard drive magnet, and sweep gently across a wall.

Oh, and keep a few toilet rolls around once the toilet paper is used up. I use mine for holding wrapping paper together in my cupboard, but they also work well for keeping cables together in storage.

They also make great bong replacements. just say'in :)

Oh, and keep a few toilet rolls around once the toilet paper is used up. I use mine for holding wrapping paper together in my cupboard, but they also work well for keeping cables together in storage.

Skateboards are great for moving heavy objects such as fridge freezers, washing machines / tumble driers, cupboards etc. Incredibly useful, especially if you're moving the object on your own.

You don't need a fancy one, any will do. I bought a skateboard for ?15 over twelve years ago and it still gets used when something heavy needs shifting.

• Like 2

Use newspaper with window cleaner instead of clothes for a streak free finish

That's a real old one that no one I tell it to will believe!! Best way in the world to clean glass/windows! :)

Going to have to try that newspaper in smelly shoes trick on my kids shoes!! Does it have to be newspaper or can you use ads that come in the mail type stuff!

Going to have to try that newspaper in smelly shoes trick on my kids shoes!! Does it have to be newspaper or can you use ads that come in the mail type stuff!

I used newspaper and it worked. I'm pretty sure it needs to be paper rather than glossy pages from a magazine, something about absorbtion of moisture if I remember correctly.

Here's one that I was shown when I was visiting Ireland. I bought a charger in Portugal, so it has two prongs instead of the UK's 3 prongs. Normally this means you can't plug the charger in to a UK socket because of a safety mechanism in the top hole of the socket. The solution? Get a matchstick and stick it in to the top hole. You'll feel a bit of pressure and something will click. While the match remains there you will be able to plug your european charger in to the plug.

In fairness, I seem to remember knowing this years ago, but like many things it got lost to the ages. So just in case it's happened to anyone else, there you go!

Was reminded of this from a Facebook status just now.

Razor blades:

To get more use out of those expensive replacement blades, dry it after each use. You'll get much more usage out of it.

Post yours :p

You can also store the razor in baby oil/mineral oil in between uses.  That will help it last a lot longer.  Be warned though that the comfort strip on the razor will come off from the oil.

Not sure if it is a life hack however, its something my mother did as a child that i have done as well.

if you make a large bowl of something like potato salad or chili or just anything with a pot or large bowl and do not have a lid. instead of plastic wrap you can use a shower cap.

- easily re-seat a loose wooden screw by removing it, fill the hole with as many toothpicks that can fit and breaking off the portion that sticks out.  Re-seat the screw.

- wax the glass windows as well as the rest of your car.  Rain will bead off the windows.

- a can of coke removes acid built up around battery terminals

- remove wax on your rug via an iron and newspaper.

- stainless steel cleaner & polish works great on bathroom mirrors and glass stove tops

- easily clean your BBQ grill by placing everything inside your self-cleaning oven

• Like 2

if you make a large bowl of something like potato salad or chili or just anything with a pot or large bowl and do not have a lid. instead of plastic wrap you can use a shower cap.

That would work, except that I wrap my head in plastic wrap rather than owning a shower cap. :shifty: 

I drink a lot of coke, and the things that it can dissolve have me worried for my stomach. :laugh:

If you spill red wine on yourself, apply white wine. While I haven't tried it myself (why would I drop precious red wine?) I'm told that the white wine will neutralise the stain.

- easily re-seat a loose wooden screw by removing it, fill the hole with as many toothpicks that can fit and breaking off the portion that sticks out.  Re-seat the screw.

- wax the glass windows as well as the rest of your car.  Rain will bead off the windows.

- remove wax on your rug via an iron and newspaper.

- stainless steel cleaner & polish works great on bathroom mirrors and glass stove tops

- easily clean your BBQ grill by placing everything inside your self-cleaning oven

I always thought we weren't suppose to wax our windows, leaves a swirly glaze.

As for the self-cleaning oven, mine takes like 4hrs, easy but would take to long just to clean the BBQ.

I always thought we weren't suppose to wax our windows, leaves a swirly glaze.

As for the self-cleaning oven, mine takes like 4hrs, easy but would take to long just to clean the BBQ.

Never had a glaze on my windows.  Could be the wax used or cloth.

Newer self-cleaning ovens have timers.  Plus, you can stop the cleaning at any time.  My timer starts at 2 hours, so I just set my microwave timer at 90 minutes, then kill the oven.  The grill comes out spotless.

Tough to open jar or bottle. Rubber band (wider is better) around lids and open.

I was struggling with a rubber band, when the wife told me she could do it better.

Jammed a butter knife between the jar and its lid. Took her around 5 seconds to get it open..

I was struggling with a rubber band, when the wife told me she could do it better.

Jammed a butter knife between the jar and its lid. Took her around 5 seconds to get it open..

Another way to do it, is hit the edge of the lid (go around the whole thing) with the handle of a butter knife.  This will put dents into the edge of the lid and cause the suction to break and the lid should come off relatively easily.

Another couple "hacks" I remembered, and do often:

When eating an apple, don't eat from the side and eat inwards.  This creates the core which is too difficult to eat, but still contains large amounts of apple.  Instead eat from the bottom and work your way up the apple.  The flesh of the apple will soften the core when bitten and will allow you to eat the core.  If done properly all that should be left is the seeds (I usually just pick them out when I get to them with a pen, or nail cutters, or anything pointy) and the stem.

Easily peel a banana by pinching the bottom, it will split making it super easy to peel without squishing the top.