Sony has sold 4.2 million PlayStation 4s

Sony has sold 4.2 million PlayStation 4s

By Andrew Webster on

January 7, 2014 12:48 pm

DSC_0770_large_verge_medium_landscape.jp

It took the PlayStation 4 just 16 days to reach 2.1 million units sold, and today Sony has announced that the number has since doubled ? as of December 28th the company has moved 4.2 million PS4s. The news was announced by Sony's Andrew House at today's CES 2014 press conference in Las Vegas, and comes just a day after Microsoft revealed that it had sold 3 million Xbox One consoles as of December 31st. Of course, Sony had a brief head start, which may account for the higher sales numbers -- the PS4 launched on November 15th, whereas the latest Xbox hit store shelves one week later.

Developing...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/5284508/sony-has-sold-4-2-million-playstation-4s

This topic is not an invite to start a troll/flame war on PS4/X1 sales.

Great numbers for Sony, they are doing well. I think they have a hit on their hands with the ps4 :laugh:

Yet more evidence that the console market is not dead yet as some may have thought.

Impressive figures, everyone is selling what they can make so arguments about numbers of countries is pretty irrelevant.

Impressive figures, everyone is selling what they can make so arguments about numbers of countries is pretty irrelevant.

Good, glad you say that.

So according to official figures we've seen now,

PS4 11/15/2013-12/28/2013 at 4.2 million = ~95k consoles per day

XB1 11/22/2013-12/31/2013 at 3 million = ~75k consoles per day

Obviously PS4 is selling more and I would expect it to, but both systems are selling well and that is good for competition and great games.

• Like 2

Good, glad you say that.

So according to official figures we've seen now,

PS4 11/15/2013-12/28/2013 at 4.2 million = ~95k consoles per day

XB1 11/22/2013-12/31/2013 at 3 million = ~75k consoles per day

Obviously PS4 is selling more and I would expect it to, but both systems are selling well and that is good for competition and great games.

Unfortunately, MS didn't give us an exact figure, so its hard do exact comparisons like that. I agree that gap is there, but MS did so over 3 million. If I had to guess, I would say its between 3.1 and 3.5 million. I would think that if it was over 3.5, they would have said 'over 3 and a half million sold'.

Unfortunately, MS didn't give us an exact figure, so its hard do exact comparisons like that. I agree that gap is there, but MS did so over 3 million. If I had to guess, I would say its between 3.1 and 3.5 million. I would think that if it was over 3.5, they would have said 'over 3 and a half million sold'.

Over 3 million will be 3 to 3.1 million. If you sold 3.1 million you would say over 3.1 million. For PR, 100,000 is a landmark, especially at the start when the figures we are talking about are in the millions, not the tens of millions.

Over 3 million will be 3 to 3.1 million. If you sold 3.1 million you would say over 3.1 million. For PR, 100,000 is a landmark, especially at the start when the figures we are talking about are in the millions, not the tens of millions.

Ah ok, so its 3 to 3.1

Still don't know the exact number.

Sony is still held-back by stock issues. No Stock in Australia, US and it only just got stock back in the UK today (But Amazon UK has already ran out so I'm guessing it wont last long)

Its already more than a million in-front of its competitor it would've been much more if people could get their hands on one.

I'm starting to think they deliberately do this, just to make some 'think' it's selling like hotcakes, Not just Sony, I'm seeing this trend a lot in quite a few different markets.

Sony is still held-back by stock issues. No Stock in Australia, US and it only just got stock back in the UK today (But Amazon UK has already ran out so I'm guessing it wont last long)

Its already more than a million in-front of its competitor it would've been much more if people could get their hands on one.

Anything is possible. You mentioned 3 markets, but then there are what, 40+ other markets they are trying to serve?

That's a lot to spread out stock across.

If MS had managed to get out in more than 13 markets, they would be running into more stock issues I'd guess.

Anything is possible. You mentioned 3 markets, but then there are what, 40+ other markets they are trying to serve?

That's a lot to spread out stock across.

If MS had managed to get out in more than 13 markets, they would be running into more stock issues I'd guess.

Apart from Japan which neither are in both are in the regions which sell the most quantities of consoles. Sony also allocates more consoles to these regions which sell the most and I don't think the other regions had much of an effect on the PS4 stock issue.

Nice figures for both, It's still probably far too early but I think the analysts predicting the end of consoles are probably going to have to extend their expectations. Also think that given the price on the majority of the steam boxes, they are going to have an uphill battle but good luck to them, another "console" on the market will only make things more competitve amongst the current players.

Apart from Japan which neither are in both are in the regions which sell the most quantities of consoles. Sony also allocates more consoles to these regions which sell the most and I don't think the other regions had much of an effect on the PS4 stock issue.

So you don't think the combined sales from all of the other markets amounted to anything sales wise?

Even if sales weren't high, surely Sony had to divert stock to those markets in anticipation of sales. Maybe they are also stock piling some units for the Japan launch.

There is at least one available in India it seems :laugh:

http://www.flipkart.com/sony-playstation-4-ps4/p/itmdrnshthv9egmf?pid=GMCDNZCHPFVHKGAT&otracker=from-search&srno=t_1&query=playstation+4&ref=121e3fc0-0b25-45f9-abd4-82b2db891811

A bit more on the UK front http://free.yudu.com/item/details/1610062/MCV-January-10th-2014

"The Playstation 4 pipped Xbox 360 in the final week to become the UK's best-selling home games console in 2013."

"It beat Xbox 360 to the No.1 home console position by a couple of thousand units"

"However, PS4 wasn't the best-selling games device of 2013. That title belongs to the 3DS, which enjoyed strong sales thanks to a number of big releases and the launch of the 2DS."

3DS was my console of 2013 personally.

An amazing comeback for the device which had such a rough launch, and so many great game available now with more to come this year. No shame in coming 2nd to it IMO :P

3DS was my console of 2013 personally.

An amazing comeback for the device which had such a rough launch, and so many great game available now with more to come this year. No shame in coming 2nd to it IMO :p

Nintendo hopes the WiiU can have the same comeback after a shaky start.

Nintendo hopes the WiiU can have the same comeback after a shaky start.

I hope so.

There was news yesterday Nintendo is now worth more than Sony total. Not 100% fair as Nintendo is games only while Sony are struggling with their electronics, movies, music and phones. The lift on the China console ban also boosted their shares.

I really hope 2014 goes better for them. Smash Bros & Mario Kart can't arrive sooner

I hope so.

There was news yesterday Nintendo is now worth more than Sony total. Not 100% fair as Nintendo is games only while Sony are struggling with their electronics, movies, music and phones. The lift on the China console ban also boosted their shares.

I really hope 2014 goes better for them. Smash Bros & Mario Kart can't arrive sooner

I still think they need to bring Starfox back in an epic game. Something that harkens back to the great n64 game.

The 3DS XL is nice. Picked one up for my Christmas. Its an exclusive Animal Crossing simulator right now though lol.

Only thing that sucks is the screen res, going from a Vita to a 3DS XL screen (blown up low res) is ugly as feck.

I hope so.

I don't think they're struggling too much on the music aspect (Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry, Beyonce, Adele, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, One Direction -- not the best music for my taste, but if they somehow signed Kanye that'd pretty much be a mortal lock on Billboard charts).  SME pulled in $6B in 2012.

Television is getting there, as well, despite Breaking Bad being over.  I do like Masters of Sex.

A bit more on the UK front http://free.yudu.com/item/details/1610062/MCV-January-10th-2014

"The Playstation 4 pipped Xbox 360 in the final week to become the UK's best-selling home games console in 2013."

"It beat Xbox 360 to the No.1 home console position by a couple of thousand units"

"However, PS4 wasn't the best-selling games device of 2013. That title belongs to the 3DS, which enjoyed strong sales thanks to a number of big releases and the launch of the 2DS."

Well. turns out this is wrong.

PS4 gathered more revenue than Xbox 360. hardly surprising.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96606215&postcount=303

Well. turns out this is wrong.

PS4 gathered more revenue than Xbox 360. hardly surprising.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96606215&postcount=303

Firstly someones post on a forum isn't a source. 

Secondly his opinion was wrong because the original source of the news article clearly states:

It was numbers, not revenue but it did gather more revenue too.

So turns out Audioboxers post was correct..