It's not really like that though. but the world is a lot more alive. and the fact it's p2p and not f2p cuts the moron factor by about 99%

I disagree with that last part. There is still an abundance of stupid people playing the game.

I'm enjoying the game so far but I'm really questioning it's long term viability. We're lead to believe the game starts at level 50 with veteran ranks and I really hope that's true.

Anyone else notice their armor breaking extremely fast? I repair my armor fully, go out and kill 4 or 5 things and after that it's already taken 10% damage. I'm really not fond on the entire armor degrade use on mechanic and there's a good reason why it isn't that way in any other modern mmos. It's annoying and frustrating and serves as a huge money sink.

Anyone else notice their armor breaking extremely fast? I repair my armor fully, go out and kill 4 or 5 things and after that it's already taken 10% damage. I'm really not fond on the entire armor degrade use on mechanic and there's a good reason why it isn't that way in any other modern mmos. It's annoying and frustrating and serves as a huge money sink.

because very little armor binds so you can sell it all, all of it can also be used to increase your balcksmithing or clothing skill and get components. 

basically it's there. to keep the economy healthy and avoid ridiculous prices on everything and making everyone rich.  generally I only notice armor degradation if I die though not from just fighting. 

because very little armor binds so you can sell it all, all of it can also be used to increase your balcksmithing or clothing skill and get components. 

basically it's there. to keep the economy healthy and avoid ridiculous prices on everything and making everyone rich.  generally I only notice armor degradation if I die though not from just fighting. 

I get all that. But when you're taking 10% armor degradation before you make it 50 feet from a town that's a little too much.

I'm still not behind the armor degrading "feature". It's stupid and makes it annoying to play the game and I'm not even level 50 yet. I can't imagine how bad it's going to be when I have high end armor to repair.

They just need to get rid of that mechanic altogether and add some different money sinks into the game. Thinking on it there really isn't all that many money sinks. Outside of buying your mounts, armor repairs, and teleport fees (I usually go to shrines to save on that fee) I can't think of any.  No dye system, no item transmute system. And I already have a 17k and 42k mount and I'm just level 43.

I really like the game but it's missing quite a few mechanics that come standard in the majority of mmos (auction house), and there are reasons why they do. I feel like maybe this game came out about six months to a year too early.

Also I'm not sold on the megaserver thing. At least how they have it done where you have to do a certain amount of damage to tag mobs. Most public dungeon bosses die within 2-3 seconds of spawning making it really hard to tag them. They really need to add some scaling as far as those go. Quest items aren't shared. It's frustrating as hell going to pick up a quest item, only to get attacked by a mob that chased you across the map and have some random stroll up and take it from you while you're stuck in combat. Nor are gathering nodes. At least GW2 has those things down so the mega server feature won't be as much an issue in that game.

a lot of those features have been left out on purpose though and won't make it in. 

I don't see a problem with armor degrade anyway, it takes a long time and a couple of deaths before it actually affects the armor. and you're ot supposed to die :) if you don't die I haven't really seen it affect the armor before 2 levels when you need to upgrade anyway. 

and bank and inventory slots is probably the biggest sink in the game. 

a lot of those features have been left out on purpose though and won't make it in. 

I don't see a problem with armor degrade anyway, it takes a long time and a couple of deaths before it actually affects the armor. and you're ot supposed to die :) if you don't die I haven't really seen it affect the armor before 2 levels when you need to upgrade anyway. 

and bank and inventory slots is probably the biggest sink in the game. 

I rarely die unless I stupidly decide to try to solo a skull boss. And yeah, as you are leveling you upgrade your armor so often that it degrading isn't so much a problem but I can see it being one when we reach veteran ranks when we're going to be wanting to use epic and legendary armor.

At 40+ things start to slow down a bit and my armor is degrading (not from deaths) in 30-40 minutes. It's way too quick and not much will convince me it's good for the game to have it stay like that. When I play with my friends they've taken to not wearing armor at all while doing quests or pub dungeons because it breaks so often. It definitely makes things a bit harder but then they're not being hit with 2k gold repair fees every hour or two.

Hawk and tragedy, if you had to pick the biggest difference between Elder Scrolls Online and Oblivion/Skyrim, what would it be? Very cautious when it comes to MMOs, not a fan at all...but am tempted by this cause do love me some meaty RPGing.

Dunno I haven't played skyrim in a long time now.

But don't expect it to be skyrim or such, it's not. It's an MMORPG dressed as a TES game. It's got the universe, graphics, lore and story, but it's a different game even if it's closer to Skyrim than other MMOs in play style.

Personality I find it fun though and the PVP is actually fun. Even if I think maybe it should be possible to change ownership of castles quite as fast as it does.

Though apparently AD, the alliance I'm in, totally owns the PVP maps in the US server , we usually have half of it while the other two share the other half and we often get up to owning 2/3rds or so

To bad GW2 looks like GW2 though. the graphical style and gameplay are neither anything I like. It's got way to much asian inspiration on the faces/models and armors. Also this thread isn't about GW2 so ;)

Screenshots also don't portray the looks very well

You don't have to like GW2 to appreciate the animations. ESO's animation quality is rigid, similar to that of maybe SWTOR. Was one of the things that actually bothered me while I was playing in the beta the past couple weekends. I was really hoping for the fluidity of GW2 with the great backstory or lore of the Elder Scrolls.

Anyway, I'm still undecided about ESO currently. I've seen plenty of mixed reviews, and having had my own hands on it even, I'm really worried about dropping $60 plus a sub just for this, mainly because MMOs usually have that honeymoon phase in the beginning where everything is awesome because it's new and fresh. I think I'd rather see how well the game will work out in the long run, after some of the existing issues have been patched up and more people have gotten to the end game to test the depth of the game.

Even if you only last the honeymoon phase, it's worth it for the buy in. so many hours of fun. 

As for the animations, they bugged me in beta but not anymore, not sure if they changed them. and SWTOR's animations seemed like some of the most fluid to me, as god as WoW's which the animations are one of the good things I can say about that game. 

I also like how things actually take time in this game, and the animation won't get interrupted by something else. 

Hawk and tragedy, if you had to pick the biggest difference between Elder Scrolls Online and Oblivion/Skyrim, what would it be? Very cautious when it comes to MMOs, not a fan at all...but am tempted by this cause do love me some meaty RPGing.

I would say that everything is different from Skyrim. The only thing they have in common is the lore. Game play is completely different in just about every way. 

I said it before but if people go into this game expecting an mmo version of Skyrim they're going to be disappointed.

Dunno I haven't played skyrim in a long time now.

But don't expect it to be skyrim or such, it's not. It's an MMORPG dressed as a TES game. It's got the universe, graphics, lore and story, but it's a different game even if it's closer to Skyrim than other MMOs in play style.

Personality I find it fun though and the PVP is actually fun. Even if I think maybe it should be possible to change ownership of castles quite as fast as it does.

Though apparently AD, the alliance I'm in, totally owns the PVP maps in the US server , we usually have half of it while the other two share the other half and we often get up to owning 2/3rds or so

I would say that everything is different from Skyrim. The only thing they have in common is the lore. Game play is completely different in just about every way. 

I said it before but if people go into this game expecting an mmo version of Skyrim they're going to be disappointed.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, to be completely honest an MMO Skyrim is exactly what i was hoping for so you helped me a lot...i can't afford to buy every game that comes out though i give it a good effort :|

Appreciate the candid and succinct overviews, i think i know what this game is all about now and it's not something i would personally enjoy, though it sounds like lots of people are having a great time with it, which is nice.

Yeah, an 'MMO Skyrim' is exactly what myself and people want tbh. They probably would've been better off developing that idea into reality.

An MMO is not what I want from them. What I want is a cooperative Elder Scrolls game. 2-4 players tops. That way mechanics wouldn't need to be changed at all. I think an MMO was a bit of a mistake.

An MMO is not what I want from them. What I want is a cooperative Elder Scrolls game. 2-4 players tops. That way mechanics wouldn't need to be changed at all. I think an MMO was a bit of a mistake.

See I think coop RPG expesically on this scale rarely if ever works. there's so little time when 2-4 peopel have time to play at the sime time that you'll never finish the game, an MMO there's always someone around to play with and you can play it as a coop game. 

I guess that really depends. A co-op game should never require other players to be completed. So it'd essentially be just another Elder Scrolls game but friends could join you if they wanted to.

I caved and bought this game and love it - love the combat, love the lore, love the questing!

I don't understand the hate toward it being a reskinned MMO, it plays so different to other MMOs for me.

A friend of mine asks if there are any roleplay activities ingame? What about the community and players? Are they social, ready to quest in groups and so on ?

SKyrim gameplay doesn't translate well directly to an MMO which is why they didn't. honestly this is as close as it gets.

Understandable. It's their project and baby so they get to do whatever they think is right, perhaps it's one of those occasions where what a big chunk of the user base thinks is good would not be workable. The FPS Command and Conquer comes to mind. Everyone thought it would be a great idea, so Westwood made it. Yeah.

"Regardless of whether you assume the guise of an orc or an elf, Elder Scrolls Online is the story of an adventurer in search of his or her soul. It's a fitting setup for a beloved single-player franchise that finds itself taking its first shaky steps in the unfamiliar massively multiplayer roleplaying game genre, and just moments past the character creation screen you can feel it struggling to reconcile its heritage with its new duds. Just as the adventurer tries to learn the truth of their past, ESO itself struggles with its identity through each leg of the lengthy leveling content."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/31/the-elder-scrolls-online-review