Would you tell someone to stop using XP even if it's off the internet?

Would you tell people to stop using XP even if it's off the net?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Would you tell someone to stop using XP even if it was disconnected from the internet?

• Yes, I would tell them to go buy a new computer
    • Yes, I would tell them to upgrade their version of windows assuming their computer could handle it.
    • No
  2. 2. If an XP machine came into your office after support ended would you repair it.

• Of course, i'm not an ******* like some people
    • Of course, i'm not an ******* like some people, but I would recommend they take it off the internet.
    • No
    • I would tell them, sure i'll fix it for you, i'm not an *******, but the machine is REALLY old and your money would be better well spent getting a new one.

I would happily work on someone's PC with Windows XP on it if it was an older machine and it couldn't run anything newer.  Frankly, whether it was connected to the Internet or not.  When I lived in Bulgaria most everyone I knew had XP up until I left in the summer of 2012, and I helped out a lot of folks who couldn't afford anything else. 

Of course, if someone had a newer machine which was originally installed with Windows 7 and they said they wanted XP on it because "Windows 7 sucks" or some such foolishness, I would try to help them realize that there would probably be compatibility issues with newer hardware.  If they thought they knew better, I would then beat them with a sack of wet nickels.

Please don't preach to me about security. You're going to have to take my word for it. I know what I'm doing.

I read 12+ security websites daily not counting the 5 or so from MS.

I also run a WU website.

Understand that we're not talking about an individual. You read far more security websites than I do, that's for sure. But at the same time I'm more tech-savvy than most of my friends, as well as most of the building that I work in.

The point here is that if you deal with an end-user, you have to appreciate their situation. Warwagon's analogy is both tasty looking and correct for the state of Windows XP in the future if you don't know what you're doing. The poll is aimed at people who support end-users, the people that don't know what they're doing.

The point here is that if you deal with an end-user, you have to appreciate their situation. Warwagon's analogy is both tasty looking and correct for the state of Windows XP in the future if you don't know what you're doing. The poll is aimed at people who support end-users, the people that don't know what they're doing.

Thanks, in fact anyone who wants to drive the message home to users, just use that cheese analogy!

This is what XP will look like after April 2014

1074987.jpg

Hell, Warwagon, that's been WinXP from day1...

Hell, Warwagon, that's been WinXP from day1...

NO! it has not. Stop saying that. Sure it let everything run with admin rights, but I would not a call that looking like swiss cheese. As far as vulnerabilities go every OS has security vulnerabilities that get patched.

If you want to play that game, that's also been Windows 8 since day one too, unless of course we haven't had any security updates for windows 8 since it came out.

NO! it has not. Stop saying that.

I can't, not when it's true. What do you think prompted MSFT to stop development of Vista, and roll full steam ahead, and all hands on deck for XP SP2? Hell, XP didn't even have a firewall until SP1!

If you want to play that game, that's also been Windows 8 since day one too, unless of course we haven't had any security updates for windows 8 since it came out.

You can't even compare the security of Windows 8 to Windows XP... Out of the box, Windows 8 has a firewall, it has malware protection, it has adware protection, it has User Account protection, and not to mention SmartScreen protection - all built into the OS!

I can't, not when it's true. What do you think prompted MSFT to stop development of Vista, and roll full steam ahead, and all hands on deck for XP SP2? Hell, XP didn't even have a firewall until SP1!

Fair point. I'll give you that one.

Although I do not think Sp2 / sp3 looks like swiss cheese.

I remember Windows XP RTM having a firewall but it was blocking everything and every single had to be added by hand (SP2 version instead detects opened ports and prompts the user to add a rule).

I remember Windows XP RTM having a firewall but it was blocking everything and every single had to be added by hand (SP2 version instead detects opened ports and prompts the user to add a rule).

It was also off by default.

You're right. Looked it up, and found Internet Connection Firewall. I was also wrong about the Firewall not being added until SP1, Windows Firewall wasn't developed until SP2 - even worse. That's 3-4 years Windows XP went without any kind of serious built in protection.

I'd tell them to ditch XP and get a new system, because more then likely the new system will save them money in electric costs... hardware has gotten drastically more efficient since XP was out...I went from a 200 watt idle XP system to a 33 watt idle system now in just the span of time from XP to now