Each front page news article gets its own thread

Hello,

Ive seen this on another site (dont remember which) but it would draw more attention to the forums and in turn get more registrations....

Instead of the current "comments" in each front page news article, why, when a front page news article is posted, automatically a thread is created in what would be a new secion in the forums called "Front Page News". This way people can have a discussion about it.

Hello,

I know exactly where you've seen it : HowToGeek.

Nope.

I feel the comments section gets lost or left out or forgotten in a sense; I think it would be better for the forums :)

What really sucks is when an "editor" or "contributor" to Neowin FPN takes a topic from "Back Page News" 15-30 minutes after the BPN topic was created and doesn't give any credit to the person(s) who posted it on Neowin first.

It should be a requirement that before front page news is posted, the forums should be checked to see if the news might already have been posted, then give that person, or persons, at least bi-line credits.

On the other hand, if it's in BPN, forums should redirect there.

Hello,

Ive seen this on another site (dont remember which) but it would draw more attention to the forums and in turn get more registrations....

Instead of the current "comments" in each front page news article, why, when a front page news article is posted, automatically a thread is created in what would be a new secion in the forums called "Front Page News". This way people can have a discussion about it.

Can you not have a discussion in the comments section? I'm not sure what issue you're trying to solve here.

Can you not have a discussion in the comments section? I'm not sure what issue you're trying to solve here.

The issue would be with news that are both on the main page and in the forums. You end up with two separate discussions on the same subject.

Hello,

Because we prefer our own custom coded comments system, that's why.

Thank you for the explanation.

Not really. The comments section is a glorified graffiti board. Its a lot cleaner and more integrated to just make it a thread.

I dont really get the point of the "Front Page News" forum which are just links to the article itself...

I dont really get the point of the "Front Page News" forum which are just links to the article itself...

That's probably there to help people searching the forums find news that was posted on the front page.

As for the comments section, I prefer it as it is, you get the early birds that say I hate/love/indifferent then the rest reply to each thread, its a lot easier to keep track of what people are saying in the comments as they are all grouped together.

Try the same thing in the forums and you get people replying to different things and essentially interrupting the flow of conversations, this is not ideal for the random visitor who comes along and agrees with point A and has to read through a couple of pages of point B & C to see what was next said about point A.

In short, It works as it is and usually popular news has a separate thread created by a user :p

Hello,

this is not ideal for the random visitor who comes along and agrees with point A and has to read through a couple of pages of point B & C to see what was next said about point A

But there is the catch :)

Now that random visitor is intrigued but not only the thread but the entire forum. Signs up and browses the site even more :)

But Steven already said no so......

Disclaimer: I don't have a hand at coding, so some of this may be inaccurate.

Problem with forum comments: can't nest replies to comments. IPB 3 probably had a view for nesting back in the day, but I'm not sure if it still exists in IPB 4 - and if it did, we're not bringing it back as it confused members. So having a linear reply view gets messy when trying to track multiple conversations (and fights :rolleyes:) in a comment thread.

The commenting backend is also a lot more efficient than IPB. The end result is clear: when some article from Neowin goes up on reddit, the front page can handle the traffic, but the forums die pretty quickly.

Our backend also has a couple of features tailored to the news operations, some to do with stats tracking and others to do with moderation. So in short, we're giving up a lot for a minor change.

i'm pretty sure its so articles can appear in the minispy on the forums

i'm pretty sure its so articles can appear in the minispy on the forums

I partially disagree, as I always thought it was to 'simplify' the communications for rss feeds 

I think it's fine the way It is lol the way the website it drew me in anyway I found it easy to Navigate and I like the comments on the article and if someone wants to discuss it then that's cool too if it isn't broke don't fix it otherwise good idea though

i personally prefer the front page comments over a thread, makes it easier to follow a single conversation

however i would like to see the front page comments being kept a little more strictly 'on topic', although i can appreciate how much moderation this would require

The commenting backend is also a lot more efficient than IPB. The end result is clear: when some article from Neowin goes up on reddit, the front page can handle the traffic, but the forums die pretty quickly.

Our backend also has a couple of features tailored to the news operations, some to do with stats tracking and others to do with moderation. So in short, we're giving up a lot for a minor change.

Exactly