Each front page news article gets its own thread

It works better than IPB. :p

For what it does yes.  I mean.. it could never be used as a forum.. it is made as a simple comment system, with nesting and such.  

I much prefer the way it is now for a few reasons:

• Moving comments to a separate thread would make the news articles look barren. The comments add content to the article (trolls and fanboys notwithstanding), and provide a logical progression from reading the article itself.
  • Clicking a link is going to make me less likely to comment or sign up to comment. This applies to websites that redirect to the forums for comments, and to websites that use third-party comment systems which require unblocking through Ghostery.
  • Chronological ordering is better for a forum thread (IMO), whereas nested comments are more logical for news article comments. Putting comments in the forum would mean constantly switching the thread view for best experience.
  • It's harder to refer back to the original article when the article is on a different page.
Just my 50th of a dollar.
  • Like 2

I much prefer the way it is now for a few reasons:

• Moving comments to a separate thread would make the news articles look barren. The comments add content to the article (trolls and fanboys notwithstanding), and provide a logical progression from reading the article itself.
  • Clicking a link is going to make me less likely to comment or sign up to comment. This applies to websites that redirect to the forums for comments, and to websites that use third-party comment systems which require unblocking through Ghostery.
  • Chronological ordering is better for a forum thread (IMO), whereas nested comments are more logical for news article comments. Putting comments in the forum would mean constantly switching the thread view for best experience.
  • It's harder to refer back to the original article when the article is on a different page.
Just my 50th of a dollar.

You don't need to move any comments or click any links to see them, you send a copy of the comments to the topic and vice versa. This way people who only troll the forums can interact with those that only troll the front page. Look at the system on Tom's Hardware for an example of what I'm talking about (minus the "click to show comments").

The only real snag is nesting and I don't propose we remove it because it's really nice, but maybe the people running the site can make the two ideas work together.

This way people who only troll the forums can interact with those that only troll the front page.

That's maybe not the best example to use when trying to get someone to see the merit of something. :laugh:

That's maybe not the best example to use when trying to get someone to see the merit of something. :laugh:

I didn't want to sugarcoat it :laugh:. Seriously though, I was using trolling to mean "spend a lot of time", although there's no shortage of the regular kind either.

Anywho, to summarise, no need to scrap the comments or the forum topics, just make them communicate.

This way people who only troll the forums can interact with those that only troll the front page. 

I am dying right now.  :laugh:  :laugh: