Am i missing something about homegroup and sharing in Windows 8

HI!

I just re-installed Windows 8 to give Windows 8.1 a try (since Windows 8 in its shipped form was pretty much unusable). So far I like the subtle changes which make the inevitable (if you are using the Start Screen and some RT apps) constant switch from Metro to Desktop less painful and more homogeneous as it used to be in Windows 8.

I finally decided to set up homegroup sharing to access/play to my music files from my Xbox 360 (did not do that in Windows 7).

Now here's what I don't understand. Every time I enable public folders sharing and/or share one of my libraries Windows 8 share the whole users folder with read/list files permission set to everyone connected to this computer.

Am I missing something ??? I want to share public folders and libraries not the whole **** users folder with read and list files right to everyone .... Am I doing something wrong ?

so users folders are in each users folder.. how do you get to userA folder, and userB folder and userC folders.. Easier to share out the common folder above them.

The public folders are under user folder as well.. But sure you could turn off that share and share to the public folder you want to share directly.

I personally not a fan of homegroups, and trying to hide what is going on from the users just makes it more of a magic box if you ask me vs sharing the specific folder they want, and setting specific share and ntfs permissions, etc.

so users folders are in each users folder.. how do you get to userA folder, and userB folder and userC folders.. Easier to share out the common folder above them.

Easier yes but lot less secure ...

If I share folders individually without using homegroup will I be able to stream content using dlna ? The setting to allow devices is in the homegroup setting of the control panel.

keep in mind its "HOME" groups - not DOD groups ;)

I assure you they are not using homegroups to share out stuff in corp or government networks ;)

If you don't like how they work, there is nothing saying you have to use it.. I assure you homegroups are not enabled on any of my windows machines.. Just use the normal sharing, you do not have to create or join a homegroup. And can turn off the services even, etc.