How to fix S.M.A.R.T status failure on HDD?

Class

Hello everyone!

I recently tried to format one of my HDD's. I did it with the manager in windows. Using fast format option it went thou, but while I selected full format, the drive started to scratch around 1%-2%. Since previously I had corrupted or more so unacceptable files on the drive. I did a S.M.A.R.T check and the drive failed it. Now I removed the drive, but I would like to use the drive, coz it's a 1.5GB drive and only about 30GB on the drive is bad/unacceptable. Is there any option to fix this error? Or how can I "reserve" these sectors so the drive doesn't goes there any more?

Thanks for helping.

Hum

You could run an error check, using Windows.

Check the box to 'repair' bad sectors.

You could try using Spinrite.

But a drive that damaged, I would just rescue what data you can, then toss it.

If the heads are scratching the disks, it is toast.

post-37120-0-75380000-1390032760.png

• Like 1
T3X4S

If it is truly scratching, then it is toast.  I assume by 1.5GB you meant 1.5TB

If it is scratching, then the control arm is digging grooves and spreading shrapnel all over the platters.

Why do you want to keep this thing ?   t.

Hardware errors are usually the thing that kills a drive.  You can get the drive rebuilt possibly by a data recovery place.

There they take the drive apart in a clean room, dip the platters in a liquid that brings out the tiny grooves, then use good hardware to rebuild it.  It cost about $1000 - since you are sweating a $65 drive, I think $1000 is probably out of your budget.

Hum is correct in suggesting CHKDSK/R and SpinRite 6.0 - they are very good at what they do.  But they cant do anything for failing hardware.

• Like 1
Class

Well, I was using with this error for more then 3 years. Oh, yeah I ment 1.5TB. :)

"Error Check" in windows? Do you mean scan disk? or which app do you mean?

He's Dead Jim

I had some damage to sectors on an old 30Gb drive, I successfully used the tool, HDD regenerator to "repair" the damage, and got a few months extra use from it.

But once its scratching its prolly best to acquire a new HDD

Hum
"Error Check" in windows? Do you mean scan disk? or which app do you mean?

^ Windows Tools -- right click on the bad drive, Properties, Tools, Error checking ... see picture above. ^

Class

I had some damage to sectors on an old 30Gb drive, I successfully used the tool, HDD regenerator to "repair" the damage, and got a few months extra use from it.

But once its scratching its prolly best to acquire a new HDD

But I'm definitely going to try this. I hope it will do something.

^ Windows Tools -- right click on the bad drive, Properties, Tools, Error checking ... see picture above. ^

Oh, sry, didn't see the picture. Well, now it's completely blank drive, so no error's are found.

Btw, it only scratches when I try to access those bad sectors. Not generaly.

post-121358-0-29629100-1390034467.png

Luc2k

What does your drive's health look in something like Hard Disk Sentinel? You should backup your data and do a write surface test to fix weak sectors and mark the bad ones as unusable. The scratching part sound really bad though. Is it out of warranty?

T3X4S

Are hard drives more expensive than gold in Hungary ?  I simply dont understand why you are wasting 5 seconds on this.  You know its failing, you cant trust anything you put on there - why mess with it ?

If you say "well Im only 14 and too young to work, and my parents wont help" then I understand.

• Like 1
paulheu

Hello everyone!

I recently tried to format one of my HDD's. I did it with the manager in windows. Using fast format option it went thou, but while I selected full format, the drive started to scratch around 1%-2%. Since previously I had corrupted or more so unacceptable files on the drive. I did a S.M.A.R.T check and the drive failed it.

Don't fiddle with it, get a new drive and trash this one as it is a goner. S.M.A.R.T. error are meant to tell you the drive is dying and needs to be replaced. Trying to fix it will only increase usage a lot and expedite the pending failure.

The Dark Knight

Copy the data to another HDD before trying to fix this! You are after all trying to use it while the platters are getting scratched constantly. The only reason it's still running and you're able to access the data is because it is a 1.5 TB HDD; your stuff is all over those platters.

Just get a new HDD.

• Like 1
Raa

A S.M.A.R.T. error can't be fixed. It's a built in mechanism to let you know the drive is about to fail.

Backup your data, and replace the drive as soon as possible.

• Like 4
+BudMan

So the drive has been having issues for 3 years? How come you didn't run the makers diag tools the day it started doing it.. If the drive had problems while under warranty you could of gotten replacement.

What specific disk is this, Seagate, Western Digital, Toshiba, etc. And we can point you to where to get the makers tools to test the drive.

Example here is seagate tools

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Dos version you can boot from a CD and test, etc.

If you would of run this test before the warranty was up and it fails, you could of replaced. Make sure you run the long version of the test, etc. What specific smart info is reporting bad?

If the drive is showing signs of failure "clicking for example" Yeah get your data off you can that you need if any, and get a new disk..

FreeJAC1310

I use HD Tune. Great software. Was the only software that showed it was my hard drive controller on a laptop that was causing my O/S crash issues. Check it out. hdtune.com

ndoggfromhell

Smart failed and makes noise... I'd throw it away.  

There was a person I worked with who would bring home all the "smart failed" drives that didn't make bad noises or were "repaired' by manufacturer tools.  He used them in an unraid server (nearly 15 drives in all) and they've been going strong for a few years now.  He keeps adding failed drives to it and he has never had any issues.  Not sure how he bypasses the SMART Failure warning, but he does.  Not sure you can disable it on the drive, might be able to disable it in bios on the computer you're using.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Samsung is set to hold another Galaxy Unpacked event on April 28
      by Jay Bonggolto

Samsung held its recent Galaxy Unpacked event in March where it unveiled the Galaxy A52, A52 5G, and A72. Now, the tech giant has released a new invite for yet another Unpacked event this month.

The affair will take place on April 28 and it will be Samsung's fourth Unpacked event this year. It will also be streamed live on the company's website at 10am Eastern Standard Time.

Although Samsung didn't mention anything about what the event will be for, the teaser states: "the most powerful Galaxy is coming." Seeing as the South Korean tech giant has already announced quite a plethora of phones this year, there's a slim chance it could be yet another typical smartphone. At the moment, there's no clear indication as to what Samsung might introduce a few weeks from now.

That said, it's possible we could be seeing a new foldable device from Samsung soon. Note that the Galaxy Z Flip launched around this time last year, but Samsung has yet to unveil a new foldable phone. It's also hard to rule out the possibility of a new smartwatch coming out at the event. Other speculations point to the debut of Samsung's first Windows 10 PC powered by its own Exynos processors. It's anybody's guess for now.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Samsung's future phones may have sensor-shift cameras for more stable images
      by Jay Bonggolto

Samsung's flagship phones have long had optical image stabilization (OIS), and most recently it incorporated the same camera technology into its mid-range Galaxy A lineup, starting with the Galaxy A72. Soon, the tech giant may introduce a more advanced image stabilization system to its phone cameras.

A new report from GalaxyClub suggests Samsung's future smartphones will feature sensor-shift cameras like that of the iPhone 12 Pro Max. For the uninitiated, this type of camera is integrated with sensors that move to compensate for vibrations when you're taking a photo. In contrast, OIS involves moving the lens to stabilize the image.

There's no clear indication as to when we might see this image stabilization system in an actual phone. For now, Samsung is reportedly testing the sensor-shift camera for a new device.

That said, there's every chance the image stabilization system could be integrated into Samsung's next flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S22 series. In addition, a few days ago, a Twitter post made rounds on the web claiming that the South Korean tech firm was collaborating with Olympus for the camera of its next-generation flagship devices. The Japanese camera maker is known for building cameras with sensor-shift systems, so it's possible that Olympus may be developing the rumored sensor-shift camera for future Samsung handsets.

Source: GalaxyClub

• By indospot
      Samsung's new tracker can help you find objects with your camera
      by João Carrasqueira

Samsung has announced an upgraded version of the SmartTag tracker that was introduced alongside the Galaxy S21, called the SmartTag+. Item trackers like the SmartTag+ can be attached to items like handbags or keychains so you can locate them using your phone.

In the case of the SmartTag+, not only does it come with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) connectivity, it also supports Ultra Wide Band (UWB), thus offering more accuracy with its tracking abilities. Only a few phones in Samsung's lineup support UWB, though, specifically the Galaxy Note20 Ultra, Galaxy S21+, S21 Ultra, and Z Fold2.

If you do have a UWB-enabled phone, however, you can use the new AR Finder feature in the SmartThings Find app to find your lost objects using your camera. Thanks to the UWB technology, not only can you see how far the item is, you can see what direction it's in, so you can point the camera around and your phone will guide you to the SmartTag+.

On top of that, you can leverage the community of SmartThings user to help locate the SmartTag+ even if it's out of range of your phone. Users have to opt in to help others locate their items, but if someone has enabled that capability and they pass by your lost tag, you'll be able to find it on a map. The SmartThings app can also be used to assign certain actions like turning off lights to the button on the tag, making quick actions a bit more accessible, though this feature also works on the original SmartTag.

The SmartTag+ will be available from April 16 in select markets and rolling out to more countries gradually. Those in the United States can expect it "in the coming weeks".

• By Rich Woods
      Samsung's 2021 Galaxy A series is coming to the United States
      by Rich Woods

Today, Samsung announced that its array of 2021 Galaxy A smartphones are coming to the United States. Among the mid-range options, which support 5G, are the Galaxy A32, Galaxy A42, and Galaxy A52. On the entry-level side of things, it's introducing the Galaxy A02s and Galaxy A12.

“Over the past year, we’ve come to rely on our phones more than ever to keep us connected and provide some much-needed fun and entertainment,” said Drew Blackard, vice president of mobile product management at Samsung Electronics America. “The 2021 Galaxy A series delivers all of that. These are the perfect smartphones for anyone who wants the quality and innovation synonymous with Samsung at a great price.”

In fact, the Galaxy A32 5G, powered by a MediaTek Dimensity 720 chipset, is Samsung's first sub-$300 5G smartphone. And all of the 5G handsets have 4K video recording features like 4K Video Snap, which lets you take a picture from your 4K videos. They also come with this like fast charging, microSD expansion, and Adaptive Power Saving.

The Galaxy A52 5G is at the top of the pack, obviously, and it actually has a 6.5-inch FHD 120Hz Super AMOLED display, whereas the A42 has a 60Hz Super AMOLED screen and the A32 has a 90Hz LCD. The A52 comes with a 64MP main sensor that has OIS and a 12MP ultra-wide lens, along with 6GB RAM and 128GB of storage. The cameras on the A32 and A42 aren't quite as high-resolution, with 48MP main sensors and 8MP ultra-wide sensors.

The Galaxy A52 5G starts at $499.99, the A42 5G starts at $399.99, and the A32 5G starts at $279.99. The A12 and A02s start at $179.99 and $109.99, respectively, and pack 3GB or 2GB of RAM with 32GB of storage. The A42 is available tomorrow, while the rest are available on the 9th.

It's worth noting that this is a market that LG just exited from, being that it just shut down its smartphone business entirely. OnePlus is trying to enter the entry-level to mid-range market with its Nord brand, and Motorola plays in it with its Moto E and Moto G brands.

• By Steven P.
      Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra is starting to receive the April security patch
      by Steven Parker

The ridiculously expensive Galaxy Note20 Ultra, which we reviewed last year, is starting to receive the April Security patch. It is already reportedly rolling out in Germany, according to SamMobile. The patch does not add anything new, that happened last month with S21 camera features arriving on the S20 series of phones with an update.

The firmware to look out for is named N986BXXS1DUD1 and as per usual the update will be staggered. However, if you are a Galaxy Note20 Ultra user, you can check for availability for this update by navigating to Settings » Software update and tapping on Download and install.

The April Security patch is also gradually arriving on other S20 series of phones since last week, so you could try the above steps to see if you have an update available.

In the U.S. you can find the Note20 Ultra 5G currently at $359.99 off for $940 on Amazon, although it is locked to Verizon, still it is better than the usual $1,299 asking price.

Source: SamMobile