4K Ultra HD Blu-ray On The Way

Here is the article from TWICE : http://www.twice.com/magazine-issue-type/current-issue/blu-ray-disc-association-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-way/109597

The very high data-storage and transfer-rate requirements of 4K/UHD ? four times the spatial resolution of 1080p HDTV ? means that optical discs will once again be the most practical way to move all that data around in a very convenient way. Blu-ray had a tremendous impact on HDTV adoption, and we think it will offer the same push for UHD adoption.

I know that streaming GOOD quality 4K content is going to kill many users with most ISP having bandwidth limitation, download caps.

Streaming, even in supposed HD, is far from the quality you get from a Blu-Ray.  The compression level is so high, it often ruins the "HD" experience.  I've tried "HD" from Apple, MS and Netflix and it pales (sucks!) in comparison to Blu-Ray.  To me, it's worst than saying that a 128kbit MP3 is just as good as a CD.

• Like 2

i am just wondering if current blu-ray players  least once from  late 2012 and up would be able to be updated  to support  BD 4k  movies  even tho at this moment most of us only have  1080p sets  but it be nice to know or if they plan to just make new players  

Title needs to rhyme more ;)

i am just wondering if current blu-ray players  least once from  late 2012 and up would be able to be updated  to support  BD 4k  movies  even tho at this moment most of us only have  1080p sets  but it be nice to know or if they plan to just make new players  

I thought HDMI couldn't support more than 1080p?

I could see that being a rather large barricade for something like that.

I doubt it. They have to modify the current Blu-ray spec to do 4K, and I don't see how they are going to do it without going to triple+ layer discs.

This is why we have HDMI versions like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc

It depends on what codec they decide to use. They will likely be switching to a more efficient codec which will mean needing new hardware decoders in players.

Here is the article from TWICE : http://www.twice.com/magazine-issue-type/current-issue/blu-ray-disc-association-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-way/109597

I know that streaming GOOD quality 4K content is going to kill many users with most ISP having bandwidth limitation, download caps.

Streaming, even in supposed HD, is far from the quality you get from a Blu-Ray.  The compression level is so high, it often ruins the "HD" experience.  I've tried "HD" from Apple, MS and Netflix and it pales (sucks!) in comparison to Blu-Ray.  To me, it's worst than saying that a 128kbit MP3 is just as good as a CD.

Hum I streamed a 1080p movie from Youtube and to me it was a lot closer to a blu ray than a 128kbit mp3 is to a cd.

128kbit is bearable only if you have a sucky sound system. On a good quality sound system it sounds like a gull crying. 1080p streaming while not as great as a blue ray is at least bearable even on a good display. Often I find 1080p streaming actually better than some HDTV channels.

Gotcha.

I take it that is not firmware upgradeable?

nope

single link can't do more, well actually I think it can slightly, but I think dual link would be able to. 

I doubt it. They have to modify the current Blu-ray spec to do 4K, and I don't see how they are going to do it without going to triple+ layer discs.

Well, unless you count in the new codec they are using for 4K on BD. allowing 4k with the same quality and size as a 1080 BD movie, supposedly. 

you may be interested in this article. highlights are that even comcast can actually offer you ~gigabit. they just don't cause it's costly and the demand isn't there. 

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/12/why-comcast-and-other-cable-isps-arent-selling-you-gigabit-internet/

I think comcast demonstrated this 2 years ago. if you do the math, streaming 4k is possible with gigabit. 

i would assume  tho that  what will happen if they used the current codecs that  BD disc  size would go up due to the amount of storage needed for the  4k video  and for all the  BD features to stay along with this. 

4K Blu-ray is currently just a marketing gimmick, much like 3D, and will probably stay that way for the next 10 years. You will not be able to notice the difference between it and a good 1080p transfer unless you have a 65+ inch screen, and even then you must know what specifically to look for.

4K Blu-ray is currently just a marketing gimmick, much like 3D, and will probably stay that way for the next 10 years. You will not be able to notice the difference between it and a good 1080p transfer unless you have a 65+ inch screen, and even then you must know what specifically to look for.

I agree, 4K resolution seems really stupid and pointless for a home television. They're just taking advantage of naive consumers at this point.

Yeah that's about how I feel too. Maybe if I had a 4K projector and 12+ foot screen it would be worth it.

Yeah that's about how I feel too. Maybe if I had a 4K projector and 12+ foot screen it would be worth it.

Just save up and buy your own IMAX theater. 4K Blu-ray is quickly becoming "audiophile grade" territory for video. This is quite glaring in movies like 28 Days Later.

The same people who think 1080p is a huge improvement over 720p on a 4-5 inch screen (and claim to see the difference) will disagree with you ;)

I have some gold plated cables that I could sell them. They improve the flow of 1's and 0's, upgrading the digital signal to legitimate 4K. 4REAL :shifty:

• Like 2

Although I reserve judgement on that until I witness 4K for myself, 1080p on a typical HDTV in a typical living room is gorgeous enough that I'm initially quite skeptical. Perhaps the format might make sense for much larger screens (80"+), but then people just don't have the space for that in general.

I'm mainly hoping for high- and variable-framerate support. We need a blu-ray version of the original 48fps Hobbit movies, and 60fps Avatar 2 when it comes out. I'm optimistic HFR will gain traction in the next decade and the blu-ray standard has to follow.

Although I reserve judgement on that until I witness 4K for myself, 1080p on a typical HDTV in a typical living room is gorgeous enough that I'm initially quite skeptical.

I'm mainly hoping for high- and variable-framerate support. We need a blu-ray version of the original 48fps Hobbit movies, and 60fps Avatar 2 when it comes out. I'm optimistic HFR will gain traction in the next decade and the blu-ray standard has to follow.

Unless they stop tagging HFR with 3D, I don't think it's likely to gain much traction. 3D Blu-rays have been a bust if you exclude Avatar and 48fps version is much better experienced in a big screen, IMAX preferably, rather than on your 55 inch 3D TV.

HDMI 2.0 specs supports 4K@60 so content only has to follow up. Still, people will cling to the numbers like crazy. Some friends of mine LOVED The Hobbit in 48fps 3D... except the room was only showing in 24p because it wasn't capable of HFR. They just didn't update the signage. :rofl:

I agree, 4K resolution seems really stupid and pointless for a home television. They're just taking advantage of naive consumers at this point.

^^^ This most definitely. While dvd to blue is a nice bump in quality its not that huge nor will 1080 p to 4k be that different. Maybe for gaming you would notice but not for movies.

While over priced (atm) how can you say its a gimmick.  Just head to any Best Buy with a magnolia section and you can see the Sony 4k TV demoing the 4k movies they have.  The picture quality is better... I was impressed with the pq but it wasnt enough for me to spend the $5k on.  So while I agree a larger screen is needed, that doesnt make it a gimmick. (I disagree with your opinion on 3d as well but thats for a different topic). 

While over priced (atm) how can you say its a gimmick.  Just head to any Best Buy with a magnolia section and you can see the Sony 4k TV demoing the 4k movies they have.  The picture quality is better... I was impressed with the pq but it wasnt enough for me to spend the $5k on.  So while I agree a larger screen is needed, that doesnt make it a gimmick. (I disagree with your opinion on 3d as well but thats for a different topic). 

I didn't say 4K TVs were gimmicky, I said 4K Blu-rays are. The demos look amazing because that's what they're designed for, to show off 4K resolution in a show room. You get home, plug it in and 99% of the content out there will not produce the same effect. They could also be running at 1080p and you'd be none the wiser. Good quality TVs are great at displaying content, be it at 1080p or 4K, it's all about panel quality and features. But we reach a point of severally diminishing returns when comparing a 1080p Blu-ray to a 4K one on the same TV or even different TVs with comparable specs.

Could they have put any more buzzwords together? Sheesh. Put "32GB, quad-core, 4G LTE" in there somewhere, and you have yourself a *@tty Verizon commercial.

HDMI 1.4 can support 4K at 30Hz, HDMI 2 can support 4K at 60Hz

I'm sorry, but I heard this same excuse in the late 90's when HD was starting to come around... "Who would ever need 1920x1080, 720x480 is good enough" too "I can't see a difference between SD and HD".... I saw a 4K TV in person the other day, and it is drastically clearer then a 1080p screen at the same size (55")