Password on USB stick Linux Mint

I installed Linux Mint on a live usb stick but I can not make password. I did not set up a password because it never asked and I want to finally set up a password for when I log on.

I go to system preferences and try to make password but the button that says change is shaded out. Any ideas??

Linux sems  to complicate even the most basic tasks :(.

I dont hit anything for current password because I did not make a password when it was set up because it did not ask.

I dont see why I need to open up termainl for setting a password when it can be done in the system settings. As for using password as the password it would not be password because I never set up a password to begin with.

Maybe I just understood you wrong but yea sorry I dont know what you meant :)

I dont even know what command to type in.

I dont see why Linux Mint makes it so complicated to make a simple password :(

Ok thank you very much. Now if I can just find out a way how to add users since I can find now way in the system settings there is no option to add users. I went in a program not called users and groups and when I try to add a user and click add nothing happens the button just clicks and stays there lol.

Thanks for the passwd help. Would be much easier if Linux Mint made it so you could go in the GUI and set up a password. The ternimal was not hard but a regular person would not know to type passwd.

UPDATE: Using Linux with a persistant file to save changes. I just restarted my computer and Linux does not seem to remember that I made a password. So now everything is back to not having a password.

What the heck is going on.

Ok thank you very much. Now if I can just find out a way how to add users since I can find now way in the system settings there is no option to add users. I went in a program not called users and groups and when I try to add a user and click add nothing happens the button just clicks and stays there lol.

Thanks for the passwd help. Would be much easier if Linux Mint made it so you could go in the GUI and set up a password. The ternimal was not hard but a regular person would not know to type passwd.

Di you make any effort into looking at the Mint Wiki/FAQ/Forums? Most if not all your questions will be answered there

Linux is not hard at all if you put in minimal effort and can follow simple instructions

Yes I have tried using google etc to find my answers and I have been using linux on and off since I was a child back in the red hat days but never had a problem with passwords and adding users. ALthough this is my first time using Linuxt Mint.

I will take a 2nd look at the wiki

What window manager are you using? You may be used to Gnome, it has a really good set of system tools which includes managing users and stuff.

I mean you could install gnome-system-tools using apt-get in the terminal.. But I don't think you'll be able to do anything like installing packages if you haven't got a password for your account.

Linux Mint should have asked you to create a username and password when you first installed it.. just like any other OS. I mean.. you managed to get a username.. right? :0

Yes I have tried using google etc to find my answers and I have been using linux on and off since I was a child back in the red hat days but never had a problem with passwords and adding users. ALthough this is my first time using Linuxt Mint.

I will take a 2nd look at the wiki

Maybe this will help.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=105155

No idea why your changes are sticking (passwd, adduser would be the way to do the tasks you want from command line if they would stick). That being said, I question the intent of the password here. I'm only bringing it up because you may not have thought about this: remember this is a removal usb key and thus is accessible readily without booting by simply plugging it in and mounting the FS if the files aren't encrypted.

Myles do you mean if filey not enycrpted and their is a password on linux usb stick but they plut it into another computer such as windows they can see the files? I sorta get what your saying I guess. I kinda wanted password incase it was stolen or when I am away from computer but I guess unless its encryptd ( wich probably beyond my level of experiance) its pointless im assuming for me to password it.

Myles do you mean if filey not enycrpted and their is a password on linux usb stick but they plut it into another computer such as windows they can see the files? I sorta get what your saying I guess. I kinda wanted password incase it was stolen or when I am away from computer but I guess unless its encryptd ( wich probably beyond my level of experiance) its pointless im assuming for me to password it.

Yeah that's what I mean. I think the first thing someone would do is plug it in and try to access it from their own OS (probably Windows) so the password isn't much of a deterrent, since 99% of people aren't going to realize it's bootable in the first place. :-D

IIRC, Ubuntu now asks if you want to encrypt your home directory during the install, so perhaps it is possible to do that with a Live USB.

So your tying to put a password and user on a LIVE CD/USB version of MINT?

That is not really how they are meant to be used.

From http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/69

LiveCD

What is the login and password for the liveCD?

The login is "mint" and the password is blank (there is no password, when asked, simply press Enter).

Note: If the liveCD doesn't log you in automatically, there might be something wrong with your CD. Boot from the CD and use the "Check the integrity of the CD" option.