Microsoft built 75 Xbox One prototypes before settling on its finished design

Disappointing then that it ended up looking like an 80's VCR, IMO.

I remember some of the 360 prototype designs being shown off and they were much more adventurous and unique. I think ultimately the RROD scared them away from the same design process and they went with something safe this time.

I don't really mind it being a rectangled box either, but the size/dual plastic is not an attractive design. Wonder if we'll see some pics leak out. Would be more interested to see controller prototypes.

It looks nothing like a VCR in real life. I have one setting right next to my PS4. Both of them are really nicely made.

yes! looks aren't everything guys. 

xbox_one_vcr.jpg

we will probably never see the prototypes sadly 

Can't tell if sarcasm, those look nothing alike. Its black and rectangular.

It looks nothing like a VCR in real life. I have one setting right next to my PS4. Both of them are really nicely made.

Me too, but it reminds me of VCRs my family owned when I was younger. To each his own!

Can't tell if sarcasm, those look nothing alike. Its black and rectangular.

To be fair you just pointed out why people think they look so similar. Both are just black rectangular boxes with more or less no other designs

• Like 3

For those of us that grew up in the 1980's, it looks EXACTLY like a 1980's VCR, the only difference being that at least 1980's VCRs had internal power supplies.

Dude I've no idea what console you bought, but it wasn't an XBone.  Mine looks NOTHING like that.

To be honest, it's a black box.  I've no interest what it looks like, only what's on the screen.  Unfortunately that's not anything to shout about lol  hopefully it will get a major overhaul like the 360 did.

They did also make a choice with the design in it being able to just slot in with the rest of your gear and not stick out or grab attention. So they didn't want to go with something flashy yet also played it safe with the cooling which in part means the XB1 is very quiet to.  It could've been smaller I'm sure but better safe than sorry from their point.  I wouldn' be surprised if they do a redesign for holiday 2015 and also cut the price. Then they'll talk about how it's xx% smaller and xx% lighter and so on a E3 2015.  :)

How childish are people?

Most entertainment devices have been square black boxes for 30 years, I could say anything is like anything. 

I like the design of the X1, just a little too large. Although, I'm happy they played it safe in terms of hardware.

For those of us that grew up in the 1980's, it looks EXACTLY like a 1980's VCR, the only difference being that at least 1980's VCRs had internal power supplies.

How does the one look ANYTHING like that ?  the PS4 looks more like that then the One. and seriously if people are going to say the One looks like a VCR, they need to extend the same courtesy to the PS4 which looks as much like a VCR as the One IMO. 

And personally I would have liked if they not only kept the design as it is today, but took it a step further, made it a full proper 17 inches wide for full standard stackable components size. All these devices today fighting about having the most weird and unusual size and shape is just stupid. 

it is the size of the xbox one that has it more in common with a 1980s VCR as it is huge in size   while the PS4  supposdly 50% more power and i am sure it is  based on GPU  is  much smaller   so i dont know what MS was thinking  as they could have made the system smaller  

it is the size of the xbox one that has it more in common with a 1980s VCR as it is huge in size   while the PS4  supposdly 50% more power and i am sure it is  based on GPU  is  much smaller   so i dont know what MS was thinking  as they could have made the system smaller  

Im hoping to see what can be done when it's optimized. The X1 GPU is supposed to be the equivalent of an AMD 7770 right? My PC has an AMD 7770 and runs BF4 at 1080p on High settings at high 50's FPS, lowest I've seen it dip is mid 40's during hectic moments.

It's not really as huge as you'd expect once you have an Xbox One for a few days. The size matches the design perfectly.

It's not really as huge as you'd expect once you have an Xbox One for a few days. The size matches the design perfectly.

yes i am sure it does but that still dont account to why Microsoft had to make it the size it is when agian you look at the  PS4 and the differences  in size are rather apparent  and such.  

They'll make it smaller when they're comfortable with the heat dissipation for it.  Sure the PS4 is smaller but it also has a good chunk of heat coming out from tests.  MS is just being careful and don't want to run into any issues. 

How childish are people?

Most entertainment devices have been square black boxes for 30 years, I could say anything is like anything.

Actually, I think much of the criticism is justified. The Xbox 360 was an attractive looking console that really distinguished itself from traditional home electronics; the Xbox One looks incredibly generic and is oversized, especially in comparison to the PlayStation 4. That doesn't make it a bad console or have any bearing on the quality of games but I can understand why a lot of people are disappointed.

Hopefully the inevitable slimline models and alternative SKUs will utilise a more attractive design, both for the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4.

• Like 1

Actually, I think much of the criticism is justified. The Xbox 360 was an attractive looking console that really distinguished itself from traditional home electronics; the Xbox One looks incredibly generic and is oversized, especially in comparison to the PlayStation 4. That doesn't make it a bad console or have any bearing on the quality of games but I can understand why a lot of people are disappointed.

Hopefully the inevitable slimline models and alternative SKUs will utilise a more attractive design, both for the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4.

To each his own, I love the size of my Xbox One and I don't even want it to be smaller :)

It just fits the design, which I happen to like a lot.

ra46qr.jpg

The Xbox One is on the left and on the right is a CD Player from the 1990s, bringing retro back?

The VCR has too much goin on in the front. The One brings no attention to its self. Only a slot in the from and power button (and the power button isn't out of place either). And that was Microsoft's whole intention.

When the One is at your actual house, it's actually nice looking, and does blend right in.

Lol... People are goin on, as if you play your games standing directly at the Xbox...

It sits on a shelf, and you don't pay it any mind at all unless you are putting a movie into it or disc based game...

One thing to keep in mind is that the 360 when it started was just a basic gaming console, in comparison the Xbox One is more of a all around multimedia device and they intend for it to be used for lot's of things not just games. Using that as the goal the design was aiming for something that slots into your entertainment center under the TV and doesn't look out of place with whatever else you have down there. While I agree the size could've been smaller it'll shrink in time. The PS4 is already on the small side so I don't expect to see that shrink anytime soon really.

Oh geez...

Blu-Ray players!

Denon_DBP2010CI.jpgdenon-cara-bluray-player-450x239.jpg

ud5005-network-bluray-player.jpg

Receivers!

tx-nr5008angled400600.jpgEV_rxv565.jpg

Cable boxes!

samsung_front.jpgComcast_box_610x222.jpg

What do all of these have in common?  Things that can stack in an entertainment unit!

I don't know why people are surprised others care about cosmetics, the world practically runs on how everything, humans included, look. Difference to this say a phone though is it is stuck in a cabinet and a phone is taken pretty much everywhere, out in public as well. Doesn't mean you can't say this console looks meh, and still love how it works!

The number in the title will include a lot of early prototypes as well that were never really going to get used, but had to be done for specific reasons. Still I was disappointed to see the external power supply again more than anything. Design is boring and a bit large, but okay.

• Like 1

Oh geez...

Blu-Ray players!

Denon_DBP2010CI.jpgdenon-cara-bluray-player-450x239.jpg

ud5005-network-bluray-player.jpg

Receivers!

tx-nr5008angled400600.jpgEV_rxv565.jpg

Cable boxes!

samsung_front.jpgComcast_box_610x222.jpg

What do all of these have in common?  Things that can stack in an entertainment unit!

Well look at that... If it isn't 2000's cable boxes, and receivers, and look, even a Blu-Ray player...

Thank you 80's VCR... YOUR design is still being used by the best products 2 decades later...

It's also interesting that certain people didn't seem to have a problem with the original PS3 even though it was roughly the same size and you couldn't put anything on it because of the curved shape.

Next-gen-console-size-comparison.jpg

• Like 1

It's also interesting that certain people didn't seem to have a problem with the original PS3 even though it was roughly the same size and you couldn't put anything on it because of the curved shape.

Next-gen-console-size-comparison.jpg

Is that to scale compared with each console?

Cause that's a huge difference in size especially cause the PS4 has more grunt too.