Logmein free is going away

Im actually shocked more people in here werent already using TV.  I have been using it for about 3 years, and my last employer bought a commercial license on my recommendation.  Now, my current employer is switching over to TV after showing them what a sinking ship LMI is, and since I will be using it more than anyone else - it should be important to use whatever I am familiar with.

To those who are more familiar with it than me.  Is there a way to remote in when a domain computer is not logged in ?  There are several times I am @ my office @ night getting some work done, and the ability to log in remotely to other systems would help (cant use RDP as they are in other in the field (different offices)).  But since nobody is on the other end, they arent logged in.  I am assuming when one has the LAN option turned on, that this is no longer an issue....

The reason logmein was good is you didn't need to port forward like you do with RDP, so you can have it on 10 computers on one public IP.

You can with RDP too, i personally SSH to my router then connect to which ever computer i like. However you could port forward different ports:

1111 to 3389 on PC1

1112 to 3389 on PC2

1113 to 3389 on PC3

And so on.

But yes Logmein / TeamViewer just work i agree, would not use anything else for connecting to a friends PC. I've always just liked RDP better for my own computers.

That doesn't work if you use it to remote into a mac.  Looks like I will be moving over to teamviewer full time now.

Good point, TeamViewer just work's as well so i cant see you having any problems to be honest.

To those who are more familiar with it than me.  Is there a way to remote in when a domain computer is not logged in ?  There are several times I am @ my office @ night getting some work done, and the ability to log in remotely to other systems would help (cant use RDP as they are in other in the field (different offices)).  But since nobody is on the other end, they arent logged in.  I am assuming when one has the LAN option turned on, that this is no longer an issue....

Extras->Options

Security

Rules For Connections To This Computer->Windows Logon  - set to "allowed for all users"

Also:

Advanced->Advanced Settings For Connects To This Computer->"Full access control when a partner is connecting to a Windows logon screen"

Teamviewer runs as a service and is therefore loaded regardless of logon state :)

I dropped logmein when they removed the ability to log into unattended computers last year (the remote computer had to be on logged in to use it). This comes as no surprise to me. They had been slowly creeping in additional restrictions for years to force people to upgrade.

Pass me what you are smoking please, I can use some.  I have logged into computers that are unattended in the last week...they are so unattended that they don't even have a keyboard, mouse, or monitor hooked up to them.  I don't know where you think you got this information from or don't know what you have tried or not tried.  It makes no difference in a few days though.

Here is what I don't get or I am just missing something.  I was part of the group a couple of years ago that beta tested the new central console that all customers use now.  But all I use is the free client, I have never paid for any pro subscriptions.  I have yet to get an email from LMI and I can still add more than 10 free clients on my account.  As of today I can also still add new computers to my account with the free client.  It is very confusing and I am unsure what to do.  I don't want to stay with LMI because this could change at any moment and I would be screwed but switching all of my computers would take time.

I attached a couple of screenshots.  As you can see I have a few free computers that are still online and available.  I can also still add the free client to computers.  Very confusing.

post-899-0-11203500-1390401019.jpg

post-899-0-08759500-1390401020.jpg

post-899-0-04570100-1390401021.jpg

If you have logmein central you are uneffected by this....kind of.  there is a new limit to logmein central, you get up to 100 computers on the logmein free.  If you do not have logmein central you have to pay for logmein pro on each computer to continue to use logmein.

If you have logmein central you are uneffected by this....kind of.  there is a new limit to logmein central, you get up to 100 computers on the logmein free.  If you do not have logmein central you have to pay for logmein pro on each computer to continue to use logmein.

And how long is that going to last.  They just made the change a few months ago to the LMI free of the 10 computer limit and now this.  Something tells me that the central console and free clients will change soon also.  I just don't see the benefit to staying with them any longer.

I have been using Teamviewer for several years. I use it for Friends and Family that need tech help and at work on Win Server 2008, Win 8.1, Win7, and Win8 Embedded on thin clients. Works great, very clear and fast (depending on net speed/quality). 

ooooh TV allows me to control a pc with XBMC or Plex GUI loaded! Handy :D

EDIT - oh, but it drops you out when you quit due to that annoying message :/

And how long is that going to last.  They just made the change a few months ago to the LMI free of the 10 computer limit and now this.  Something tells me that the central console and free clients will change soon also.  I just don't see the benefit to staying with them any longer.

Central is a paid for service. Most people/businesses have to purchase it. I don't know if they will drop how many are free with the $300 option, but right now it is at 100.

ooooh TV allows me to control a pc with XBMC or Plex GUI loaded! Handy :D

EDIT - oh, but it drops you out when you quit due to that annoying message :/

That's why my media centers are "modified" to allow to concurrent users, so I l remote in on another account, while the media center users is unaffected. I run all the "server" related stuff on the remote user. 

TeamViewer nowadays does everything Logmein free did (audio, drag&drop/cut&paste) without wasting as much memory but it's still buggy as hell. They moved away from that garbage VNC codebase with TeamViewer 9 but it's still slow as hell, I wonder how they managed to replace it with something just as inefficient. I could use Remote Desktop with 32bit color on GPRS (4kbps) connections yet in more than a decade no other software has come nowhere remotely close.

Pass me what you are smoking please, I can use some.  I have logged into computers that are unattended in the last week...they are so unattended that they don't even have a keyboard, mouse, or monitor hooked up to them.  I don't know where you think you got this information from or don't know what you have tried or not tried.  It makes no difference in a few days though.

What I've been smoking was already answered in this thread:

They added that limitation to their Logmein Free Hamachi software last year and mistakenly thought that they had applied the limitation across all of their free product lines due to the central management. I posted a link in this thread to their blog were they discuss the change last year, and someone pointed out that that change specifically for Hamachi only and not the remote desktop part of the service. I had migrated to teamviewer last year because I hadn't known. Not that it really mattered in the long run since they dropped the free product completely.

It seems every year now, they add additional limitations to their software products to encourage cash flow so I'm sure they'll find something next year to charge additionally for. 

Extras->Options

Security

Rules For Connections To This Computer->Windows Logon  - set to "allowed for all users"

Also:

Advanced->Advanced Settings For Connects To This Computer->"Full access control when a partner is connecting to a Windows logon screen"

Teamviewer runs as a service and is therefore loaded regardless of logon state :)

That is awesome, I have seen that option when going through stuff, but didnt look at it specifically.

Thanks, man.

Since Logmein is kaput - I am going to have my company get the $1500 license, as it will be for my benefit I wanted to know how to maximize its usefulness - this helps !

I wonder how many customers they're going to lose over this decision...

Well, I've cancelled & uninstalled it all off of the 12 machines / servers in my account and cancelled my 1x Pro subscription.

Time to try TeamViewer.

Uggh, you have to contact Logmein support to get your account closed.

Edited by Aergan

I use Central (paid) and it's been completely screwed today, at least 90% of clients show offline. People screaming on the LMI forum and FB page but no response. Anyone know what is happening or why no coverage of this? Someone is unable to get email from MS or Google its front news in 5 minutes!

I use Central (paid) and it's been completely screwed today, at least 90% of clients show offline. People screaming on the LMI forum and FB page but no response. Anyone know what is happening or why no coverage of this? Someone is unable to get email from MS or Google its front news in 5 minutes!

It was on the front page of NEOWIN.

It was closed down over a week ago... but yes, I feel your pain. And of the day, we had a free ride for a long time... guess they need money... but how about offering a cheap solution instead? Not a Pro account, but a 'starter' one?

It was on the front page of NEOWIN.

It was closed down over a week ago... but yes, I feel your pain. And of the day, we had a free ride for a long time... guess they need money... but how about offering a cheap solution instead? Not a Pro account, but a 'starter' one?

I'm not referring to LMI free I'm talking about a paid subscription to Central