5 Reasons To Get Over The Hype And Start Loving Windows 8.1

The only one I'll mention (read relevant Neowin threads and other online forums for the rest) is the one irritating me the most right now, not enough GPO control.

Also the inability to manage MS Accounts in the enterprise or use store apps without them. Particularly Mail w/Exchange.

Ahh, yes.  I guess MS is focused on the home users first since they probably realize enterprise will migrate over much slower.  I use my Surface tablet at work and I can see things like this.  Fortunately I'm allowed a little more freedom than most.

Windows 8 sucked.  8.1 is much better and the only reason I am using Win8 now.  I have it configured now that I hardly see the Start Screen (no I dont have any start menus installed).  Sorry, I do not like the Start Screen.  I think it is terrible on desktops but again, I dont really see it so it doesnt bother me. But that seems to be the number one complaint tho.  

Anyway, Windows 7 is still available for those who want to use it.  Dont like Win8, stick with Win7 like may still are.  With all the choices users have these days (different versions and platforms), really no reason why anyone should get upset.  No one is forcing anyone to use Windows 8.  This anti product/corporation hate needs to stop.  It is past getting old.  We get it, people dont like "insert company/product here" you dont need to repeat it all the time.

My biggest issue with Windows 8/8.1 is that everyone posts ways to workaround issues that never existed before.

Yes, I can make it work for me, but should I have to?  That doesn't sound like an improvement to me.

Can I see some examples where Windows 8 makes someone more productive?  Or is simply solving a problem that didn't exist?

• Like 2

My biggest issue with Windows 8/8.1 is that everyone posts ways to workaround issues that never existed before.

Yes, I can make it work for me, but should I have to?  That doesn't sound like an improvement to me.

Can I see some examples where Windows 8 makes someone more productive?  Or is simply solving a problem that didn't exist?

Most people that have a "problem" with Windows 8 is because they are using the same hardware they've been using for years.  If you take a look at the new computers being put out you'll see a lot now are very tablet like.  The laptops have touchscreens or the tablets are beefier and have some sort of keyboard.  Windows 8 bridges that gap and allows the hardware to expand.  What's the point of having touchscreen hardware out there if the OS makes it difficult to use?  That's always been the advantage Apple has.  They control the hardware and the software so they release updates to hardware and software simultaneously.  

As for an example, I use a Surface Pro for work.  I dock it when I'm at my desk and use it like a desktop PC but I also take it to appointments and easily show customers demos on it in its tablet mode.  I need more than an iPad/Android tablet because for work I need to run Windows .exe's. 

+1000

And denying this is foolish. I like the potential and use it, and have it on my corp desktop (gotta reimage though, 8.1 ENT from 8 ENT just has too many issues. Luckily we have SCCM and once I say go it'll be there in the morning.)

All denying the issues does is alienate already frustrated users. Acknowledge the potential AND the issues and you will get more people to keep giving it a try and wait for it to get fixed once they see dirt moving in the right direction.

The truth is that Apple is much more restrictive than anything Microsoft produces. I am not limited in what I can install on my Surface Pro with millions of available apps. But Apple doesn't tell you what you can and cannot do? Apple told me I cannot use USB with my iPad, Microsoft told me I can with my Surface RT and Pro. Apple told me that I must use a keyboard with my MacBook Air, Microsoft told me I can make my own decision if I need a keyboard now or not.

But this has been hashed over and over again. You can go back to using your iPhone, which Apple told everyone nobody needs books for, but then they do, but then they don't, but then they do again - along with many other features.

That's true, but their appliance products (iPhone and iPad tablets) just work, and they work well. Everything has issues but if you nail the meat, people don't mind a few bad side dishes. But if the main course sucks, and you skip that and try to just eat the side dishes and they suck, you're in a bad situation. Right now many don't see any value to suffering through growing pains that for the most part only benefit Microsoft. They f'd up and they know it. Now users have to wait even longer for them to fix it. Luckily they have a desktop monopoly for the most part and Windows 7 and Office revenue will keep them going until they get it right.

I'm not convinced Modern UI/WinRT will ever be worth the trouble it's cause so many so far, haven't seen one significant desktop app to convince me anyone is even close, but Windows 8 Desktop Environment is excellent, a worthy upgrade, and if Modern UI gets out of the way things will be fine. And maybe devs will deliver on the promise of WinRT/Modern UI, eventually.

Edit: on the Apple note, their latest round of iPod ads (contribute a verse) are simply fantastic.

The only thing that takes some "getting used to" if you want to call it that is the flexibility of customization you have on the start screen, EVERYTHING else is actually as accessible or more than in Win 7, the only "workaround" needed is for those irrational types that claim the horrid start Menu is somehow better and install crappy apps like Classic Shell, most likely the same types claiming XP was/is better 

• Like 2

Yes, I can make it work for me, but should I have to? That doesn't sound like an improvement to me.

Can I see some examples where Windows 8 makes someone more productive? Or is simply solving a problem that didn't exist?

There are normally work arounds when a new OS is released. I remember the same thing when Win7 was released. Mostly older software tho.

As far as being more productive, I am just as productive on WinXP as I am on Win8. Some have a hard time but that is the way it goes. It is really nice that the task bar is on multiple screens now.

Most people that have a "problem" with Windows 8 is because they are using the same hardware they've been using for years.

Shouldnt really be a problem. I loaded Win8 on a Dell 755 and 380. Ran just fine and those are years old. Win8 also runs smoother than 7 so I dont think older hardware would be a problem. But with anything need to check the min sys requirements and make sure you at least meet those.

Ahh, yes.  I guess MS is focused on the home users first since they probably realize enterprise will migrate over much slower.  I use my Surface tablet at work and I can see things like this.  Fortunately I'm allowed a little more freedom than most.

Also, while it looks like the next update will take care of pinning store apps to the taskbar, there's still no sign of being able to auto start store apps. It sucks to find some nice Modern utility apps, and even the Mail app which is nice, and have to manually launch them anytime you restart. I don't think this was deliberate, I think they just rushed the product out and didn't get it done, I think that's the cause of most of the issues or missing functionality ...

That's just a silly comparison.  But in a similar line...

gpnl.png

Stagnation isn't a great thing either.

On the other hand, a version of Windows that doesn't run Windows software isn't terribly appealing either.  It really will be the Year of Linux when Linux runs Windows software better than Windows does.  I've no problem with the Modern thing.. as long as compatibility with years of software is still there too.

I agree. For the immediate future, I still need desktop programs. If Metro and its programs become robust enough to do what I need, then that may change.

But for now, I still need the desktop, or the capability added to run desktop programs within Metro. Give me that and a good Metro file manager, and I'd easily give up the desktop UI. It's the apps that matter to me, not the desktop itself.

- File transfer (copy / move)

- Multi-monitor

Definite improvements over Windows 7

(just listing two I am using right now, there are more I can list)

There are normally work arounds when a new OS is released. I remember the same thing when Win7 was released. Mostly older software tho.

As far as being more productive, I am just as productive on WinXP as I am on Win8. Some have a hard time but that is the way it goes. It is really nice that the task bar is on multiple screens now.

Shouldnt really be a problem. I loaded Win8 on a Dell 755 and 380. Ran just fine and those are years old. Win8 also runs smoother than 7 so I dont think older hardware would be a problem. But with anything need to check the min sys requirements and make sure you at least meet those.

IIRC, there were workarounds for app compatibility. Not to make basic functionality stuff work. Manually fixing skydrive sync. Clearing store database because updates won't work. That's just a couple off top of my head. In an RTM. It was rushed. And for Sinofsky to then go give speeches at the University level on how to ship a product on time? Shameful. You don't need secondary school to know you can ship on time if you ship it unfinished and without stringent QA.

I applaud MS for firing that **** and backtracking on some things and listening to customer feedback. I also understand the frustration of those who are ****ed at what landed on RTM and at how long it's taking to fix it all.

Admitting your ###### ups and correcting them is a very difficult thing to do, especially for a huge bureaucratic entity with too many chiefs and a shaky vision. Those who can do it, usually end up succeeding. MS has made that step. Their biggest obstacle is in mobile where there are alternatives that are fully featured, many quite nice, without making you feel that you're accepting "less or lower quality."

Takes less time and clicks to use the start menu.  Especially if the app you need is in the 10 "most common" list (which it always is for me).

To get efficient with Metro, you have to use the keyboard, and that still takes more time than just using the mouse.

I find the Start Screen is just as efficient, click-wise as the "most common list" or pinned programs. One click to get to Start, one to open the program. And I have my most used programs at the "front" of the Screen, so there's no scrolling involved.

I agree. For the immediate future, I still need desktop programs. If Metro and its programs become robust enough to do what I need, then that may change.

But for now, I still need the desktop, or the capability added to run desktop programs within Metro. Give me that and a good Metro file manager, and I'd easily give up the desktop UI. It's the apps that matter to me, not the desktop itself.

You can already do all that in Win 8, just run the desktop apps on the desktop and Metro apps in Metro, it's not an either or situation, never was 

Hmm... from the article:

It seems that most of the Windows 8 naysayers are really just Windows (or Microsoft) naysayers in general. It may not make their opinions completely invalid, but it would seem reasonable to take the opinion of a diehard Mac OS X or Linux user with a grain of salt when it comes to Windows.[/size]

;)

It seems that most of the Windows 8 naysayers are really just Windows (or Microsoft) naysayers in general. It may not make their opinions completely invalid, but it would seem reasonable to take the opinion of a diehard Mac OS X or Linux user with a grain of salt when it comes to Windows.

Depends. I hear mostly Windows fans complaining about Win8. Of couse you will have people who like another platform complain as well...but it is hard to tell who is complaining the most...win fans or no win fans.

I was using workarounds for limitations in the UI as far back as Win 3.1. To me having to "make it work for me" isn't a failure of any kind - it's just business as usual.

Did you never change any defaults or use any add-ons in XP or 7?

Why is customizing the interface such a huge burden for 8, when alternate shells and menus and unique themes and hacks have always been part of what you could do? Especially when the tools are more stable and easier to use than ever?

• Like 2

That's true, but their appliance products (iPhone and iPad tablets) just work, and they work well. Everything has issues but if you nail the meat, people don't mind a few bad side dishes. But if the main course sucks, and you skip that and try to just eat the side dishes and they suck, you're in a bad situation. Right now many don't see any value to suffering through growing pains that for the most part only benefit Microsoft. They f'd up and they know it. Now users have to wait even longer for them to fix it. Luckily they have a desktop monopoly for the most part and Windows 7 and Office revenue will keep them going until they get it right.

I'm not convinced Modern UI/WinRT will ever be worth the trouble it's cause so many so far, haven't seen one significant desktop app to convince me anyone is even close, but Windows 8 Desktop Environment is excellent, a worthy upgrade, and if Modern UI gets out of the way things will be fine. And maybe devs will deliver on the promise of WinRT/Modern UI, eventually.

Edit: on the Apple note, their latest round of iPod ads (contribute a verse) are simply fantastic.

Until there are problems with them, and when people question that highlighted quote then the Apple fanboys start complaining that nobody every said that, and we are just spreading hate. Of course, you would like to just claim that Win8 has caused many troubles, but ignore the many who use it, love it, and would never look back to Win7.

My Surface RT and Pro have just worked, but it doesn't have that shiny Apple logo on it, so it must not, right? My Apple products did work, but since iOS7 has been released they have not with the tangled mess of never ending bugs.

On Sunday while sitting watching the NFC championships I pulled out my phone to look up some stat on a football player. One friend there wouldn't listen to the data I looked up. He works at an Apple store, was wearing an Apple shirt, and fully believed that the data I looked up from NFL.com could be incorrect because I read it on my Lumia WP8. When that stupid poetry commercial was played during the game, even he said it sucked. 

- File transfer (copy / move)

- Multi-monitor

Definite improvements over Windows 7

(just listing two I am using right now, there are more I can list)

This, big time. The ability to pause/resume transfers alone is a huge improvement. I still use TeraCopy on Win8 because it has some additional features I wanted, but I didn't use Teracopy for the first 2-3 months after installing Win8 because the default is that much better than Win7 (in comparison I had been running TeraCopy on Win7 for the longest time).

And as you said, the multi-monitor support is loads better than Win7. I had tested and was running third-party software on Win7 to gain proper multi-monitor support (when it comes to taskbars, at least)....something I can completely forgo with Windows 8.

So yes, I did have to install an additional piece of software to restore some functionality I missed from Win7 (classic shell), but on the flip side I gained functionality that allowed me to skip installing other third-party software by installing Windows 8. One of those pieces of software (multi-monitor taskbar management) is a huge improvement to productivity for those with more than one monitor.

• Like 2

No Thanks. Windows 8/8.1 are both horrible for me and my work environment. I don't need someone telling me why or how I need something. Hopefully, they will figure it out. 

I've been using 15" MBP for about a month now (Mavericks).

I had always imagined OS X is great on video/photo editing but honestly I have no idea what made me think so.

First, the hardware.

i7 and nvidia GPU gets a lot better results on Windows with same benchmarking software.

Second, I use Photoshop alot and it's alot more buggier and slower in Mavericks than in Windows 8. Also it's missing some basic functions on OS X.

I couldn't newer recommend OS X for work environment.

I've been using 15" MBP for about a month now (Mavericks).

I had always imagined OS X is great on video/photo editing but honestly I have no idea what made me think so.

First, the hardware.

i7 and nvidia GPU gets a lot better results on Windows with same benchmarking software.

Second, I use Photoshop alot and it's alot more buggier and slower in Mavericks than in Windows 8. Also it's missing some basic functions on OS X.

works great for me bro. 2012 15" MBP 16GB ram 256gb ssd..also took out my combo drive and replaced it with a 1TB hdd. Hope it gets worked out for you bro.

You can already do all that in Win 8, just run the desktop apps on the desktop and Metro apps in Metro, it's not an either or situation, never was 

And that's actually how I work - using a mix of desktop and Metro apps. I'm just saying I don't want the desktop to go away, or have to choose between the two, until Metro apps become mature enough to be deskto replacements, or until Metro is able to run the desktop apps. I'd rather see that happen than Metro apps on the desktop.