Microsoft: competitive pricing for digital downloads "on the agenda"

It definitely has to match PS+ on numbers at least. How they split it is obviously going to be different since they don't have a portable to cater to. Anything less and it's still not going to look good in price comparison never mind feature parity that comes with standard PSN access or PS+.

3 retail games and 2 arcade is easy, the back catalogue is huge. Make it 2 360, 2 arcade and 1 X1 game or 2 X1 games and I'll be happy.

Suddenly Sony's indie push is already making more sense though! With slow starts to both consoles retail games, PS+ is going to rely on them to fill the void. No way are you going to see PvZ GW launching on GwG, unless MS spend a huge chunk of change to boost the service. Doubt EA will want to though, not for the price tag they've slapped on it.

If MS has to match Sony in number of games given away while paying for the subscription, then that might require MS to stop giving the games away with no strings attached. 

So I guess MS could switch to a plan where you get a similar number of games, but your simply paying for access to them as long as you pay for Gold.

Personally, knowing that I keep the games regardless of my Gold status does add value and I'm willing to accept fewer titles. I like your idea though, but even 3 or 4 titles across the 360 and X1 would be acceptable to me, especially if the games continue to get more recent.  However, if MS want to switch to just offering access like Sony does, then matching the releases in number would be essential.

If MS has to match Sony in number of games given away while paying for the subscription, then that might require MS to stop giving the games away with no strings attached. 

So I guess MS could switch to a plan where you get a similar number of games, but your simply paying for access to them as long as you pay for Gold.

Personally, knowing that I keep the games regardless of my Gold status does add value and I'm willing to accept fewer titles. I like your idea though, but even 3 or 4 titles across the 360 and X1 would be acceptable to me, especially if the games continue to get more recent.  However, if MS want to switch to just offering access like Sony does, then matching the releases in number would be essential.

No complaints from me if that's the requirement. Seeing as many people (especially X1 fans on Neowin), pay for XBL for MP and paywalled apps I'm sure they won't object or change their tune either :p It may be the reason the offers have been so poor, so if they were to match Sony's rules then more publishers might jump on board. Makes things easier for everyone and gamers benefit with a better selection.

Adding more games to GwG adds value to the scheme and makes XBL sell itself without the app restrictions. MS do not have long to play with it but, PS+ subs have skyrocketed since PS4's launch apparently.

No complaints from me if that's the requirement. Seeing as many people (especially X1 fans on Neowin), pay for XBL for MP and paywalled apps I'm sure they won't object or change their tune either :p It may be the reason the offers have been so poor, so if they were to match Sony's rules then more publishers might jump on board. Makes things easier for everyone and gamers benefit with a better selection.

Adding more games to GwG adds value to the scheme and makes XBL sell itself without the app restrictions. MS do not have long to play with it but, PS+ subs have skyrocketed since PS4's launch apparently.

Well I hate giving up the option to actually own the games instead of a rental, even if I get plenty of value out of PS+.  I guess I appreciate both approaches. 

I don't think ps+ subscriptions skyrocketing means that MS is on some kind of clock that requires them to match the number of 'free' games each offers.  Remember, you need ps+ to play MP on most games on the ps4, so you have to take that into account.  If MS wants to stick to its current method of giving you games you can keep but that means fewer games than on PS+, then its up to MS to hammer home the difference and why you the consumer might prefer that method.

Well I hate giving up the option to actually own the games instead of a rental, even if I get plenty of value out of PS+.  I guess I appreciate both approaches. 

I don't think ps+ subscriptions skyrocketing means that MS is on some kind of clock that requires them to match the number of 'free' games each offers.  Remember, you need ps+ to play MP on most games on the ps4, so you have to take that into account.  If MS wants to stick to its current method of giving you games you can keep but that means fewer games than on PS+, then its up to MS to hammer home the difference and why you the consumer might prefer that method.

Whatever the reason for PS+ subs rising, it's happening and MS can't standby and watch.

Unfortunately something has to give. You can't have better games and get to keep them, so if they ever hope to compete with PS+ they'll have to switch to "renting" (assuming that's the reason for quality differences).

People are already ****ed at paywalls, PS3 is the most popular Netflix device (and it will probably continue for PS4).

World of Tanks is only getting 7 days trial for Free accounts, TES Online requires Gold. It's all adding up and Gold looks the worse every day.

2x 360 games from 7 years ago just isn't going to cut it.

Well I bought 2 games on Disc and then i have bought 3 digital and the convenience alone was worth waiting 24 hours for it download.  I have just about sword off disc at this point. I even paid 10 dollars more for the digital version than best buy had it but it was worth it to me.

What would make me happy is going to a store and buying a disc that installs the digital version and i dont need the disc again.

Well I bought 2 games on Disc and then i have bought 3 digital and the convenience alone was worth waiting 24 hours for it download.  I have just about sword off disc at this point. I even paid 10 dollars more for the digital version than best buy had it but it was worth it to me.

What would make me happy is going to a store and buying a disc that installs the digital version and i dont need the disc again.

Discs aren't required for something like that and it'd be more enviromentally friendly just to offer scratch cards with serials. Even losing the plastic case would cut it down further.

Whatever the reason for PS+ subs rising, it's happening and MS can't standby and watch.

Unfortunately something has to give. You can't have better games and get to keep them, so if they ever hope to compete with PS+ they'll have to switch to "renting" (assuming that's the reason for quality differences).

People are already ****ed at paywalls, PS3 is the most popular Netflix device (and it will probably continue for PS4).

World of Tanks is only getting 7 days trial for Free accounts, TES Online requires Gold. It's all adding up and Gold looks the worse every day.

2x 360 games from 7 years ago just isn't going to cut it.

Matching the number of free games that ps+ offers will not change the perception regarding Gold among some when it comes to things like World of Tanks or TES.

Maybe it makes people feel a tiny bit better, but I highly doubt it changes any opinions.  The paywall stuff is a whole different matter.

Discs aren't required for something like that and it'd be more enviromentally friendly just to offer scratch cards with serials. Even losing the plastic case would cut it down further.

I suppose you could offer retail discs like pc games, simply include a license key, but then too many people would be upset about losing the ability to resell such games easily. 

The console market is simply not ready for that kind of change, regardless of how much people that are already use to the practice on the pc may want it.  I've always liked the idea of being able to install a game on my console and then not need the disc again.

I think he wants the disk to install the game and avoid download times/caps.

Matching the number of free games that ps+ offers will not change the perception regarding Gold among some when it comes to things like World of Tanks or TES.

It doesn't have to. You offer more (better) games and the subs increase on their own accord, which means you don't need to justify your sub costs with silly things like paying to access apps or F2P/MMOs.

Seriously, the longer it goes on the worse they look. If Sony can do it there is absolutely no reason MS can't, especially with their bank balance.

It doesn't have to. You offer more (better) games and the subs increase on their own accord, which means you don't need to justify your sub costs with silly things like paying to access apps or F2P/MMOs.

Seriously, the longer it goes on the worse they look. If Sony can do it there is absolutely no reason MS can't, especially with their bank balance.

Oh hey, I'm all for MS moving away from having apps that are available in the same form for free on other platforms behind a paywall.  I think you have seen my opinion on it.  I believe they are searching for something to take the place of silly stuff like that.  My idea has been that their heavy investment in an entertainment studio will result in MS moving all apps outside of Gold (with the exception possibly of custom apps only on Xbox such as the ESPN app) and replacing that with free or discounted access to media they create (lets say Gold members can view the entire Halo series for free or they can get a discounted xbox music subscription).

But your point has just as much merit.  If they can grow Gold subscriptions via more gaming content without also growing the costs in the process, it could result in the same change in the strategy.

I would say though, just because MS has a lot of money, doesn't mean that is an excuse to spend, spend, spend.  I think they can do it without wasting money, but it would probably require restrictions placed on the games you get as Sony has done.

Originally the Xbox One had that, but then people got their panties in a bunch and ruined that neat feature

Really? What standard consumer dual core processor were you buying in 2003?

Well, seeing as this computer was built as a gift, to my wife, in honour of the birth of my eldest daughter

And the fact that my pc spec is on my profile, amd Athlon x64, 6400 black edition

post-354816-0-68898600-1391580364.jpg

Happy to help :)

Well, seeing as this computer was built as a gift, to my wife, in honour of the birth of my eldest daughter

And the fact that my pc spec is on my profile, amd Athlon x64, 6400 black edition

You had an Athlon 64 x2 in 2003?

You had an Athlon 64 x2 in 2003?

It was available in 2001 I believe, except it was stupid expensive, (which is why I'm waiting for the 9590 to become older and more affordable)

It was available in 2001 I believe, except it was stupid expensive, (which is why I'm waiting for the 9590 to become older and more affordable)

I think you're a bit out on the dates there.

• Like 1

I think you're a bit out on the dates there.

Funny you mention that, I've just spoken to my wife, and you are correct, I have confused my dates, I take back my claim about my pc's age, it was for my 6 year old, sorry.

As fun as it is reminiscing about PC components of yesteryear, back on topic please :P

Understood, and off topic subject dropped.

They've been doing weekly deals it looks like, so that's also something to take mote of, they've been doing red stripe deals on WP for a year now I think so this is an extension f that it seems.

Once the Xbox One GwG starts up they could give us 1 full game for it and 1 arcade game like they do now, also the same for the 360, so that's 4, plus a game for WP and Windows, so 6. Toss in random weekly Xbox sales for games and having gold is easily worth it.   As far as prices for digital, really depends on what they can do that doesn't make the retail side toss a fit, I'm thinking give them a head start would be fine but I don't know. It'd be cool if they let retailers drop the price and then say a week later MS drops the price for the digital ones to match, they could then also give gold members first dibs so that they would only have to wait, say 4 days whole free users have to wait the full week.

• 2 weeks later...