Microsoft: competitive pricing for digital downloads "on the agenda"

It reads like a different sale to me. Does Ryse even have DLC yet?

The tweet lists two bits of info.

Ryse itself is on sale for 39.99

Add-ons wil be on sale on the 25th. that could be Ryse or maybe it means more than just Ryse add-ons. I think Ryse does have some add-ons.

Microsoft testing cheaper digital pricing for Xbox One games

UPDATE: Ryse reduced to ?34.99 tomorrow.

By Tom Phillips Published Monday, 17 February 2014

UPDATE 16.08PM The UK sale price of Ryse will be ?34.99, Microsoft has confirmed.

For comparison, the game is ?44.99 new from GAME, or ?39.99 pre-owned. You can pick it up second hand for ?38 at CEX, meanwhile.

ORIGINAL STORY 15.12PM Microsoft has said it will respond to requests for cheaper Xbox One digital game prices with a series of tests, starting tomorrow with Ryse: Son of Rome.

jpg

The game will cost $39.99 (likely around ?29.99 in the UK) from the 18th - 24th February, with a further sale on add-on content next week.

"Lot of people asked for better deals on our digital marketplace, so we're testing some," Microsoft studio manager Mike Ybarra explained via Twitter (thanks, Total Xbox).

"That's far better than the used price at GameStop and others! Go digital!"

Ybarra added that he was "99.9 per cent sure" that the deal would be available in the UK, too.

The sale will lead up to the 28th February launch of the next major slice of Ryse DLC, the Mars' Chosen Pack,

The expansion will add a new Survival Mode to the game, plus new maps and a character skin. In Microsoft's words, it will be "the most ambitious and robust add-on to date".

Microsoft mouthpiece Major Nelson hinted in January that more competitive digital game pricing was "indeed on the agenda".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-17-microsoft-testing-cheaper-digital-pricing-for-xbox-one-games

It's not 75% off ala Steam but it's a start :P

Can't leave Steam out of the announcement :laugh:

I'll take any excuse to talk about Steam :wub: :laugh:

But seriously, it's great they are doing this. I hope it goes beyond testing and becomes the norm. If they want to push digital you need to give better reasons than what they did previously. Either exclusive content or pass on the savings. Gamers aren't stupid and paying 1:1 with retail isn't working and won't work.

Sounds good to me.

Also, this game is still relatively new, doubt you'll see games this new go on sale for 75% on steam. I'm interested in getting Assassins Creed 4 but it hasn't been on sale yet.

Sounds good to me.

Also, this game is still relatively new, doubt you'll see games this new go on sale for 75% on steam. I'm interested in getting Assassins Creed 4 but it hasn't been on sale yet.

You'd be surprised. I see games go 50% or more very frequently on Steam even when new. Case in point, Steamworld Dig was only released in December and is 50% this week. If you want to be digital you have to compete.

You'd be surprised. I see games go 50% or more very frequently on Steam even when new. Case in point, Steamworld Dig was only released in December and is 50% this week. If you want to be digital you have to compete.

Of course it depends on the game, if something isn't a big AAA hit then I'm not surprised if they go on sale quicker.

Of course it depends on the game, if something isn't a big AAA hit then I'm not surprised if they go on sale quicker.

Well I guess Ryse and Steamworld Dig aren't too dissimilar then. It can't be a big AAA if it's already on sale by your definition.

There's 2 very good reasons why games go on sale quickly, 1: they were priced too highly to begin with or 2: they aren't very good and need more sales. Both usually go hand in hand.

Either way, it's good to see MS react and push for cheaper digital prices.

Well I guess Ryse and Steamworld Dig aren't too dissimilar then. It can't be a big AAA if it's already on sale by your definition.

There's 2 very good reasons why games go on sale quickly, 1: they were priced too highly to begin with or 2: they aren't very good and need more sales. Both usually go hand in hand.

Either way, it's good to see MS react and push for cheaper digital prices.

I think he is referring to games that started at $60 as being AAA. Steamworld Dig started off at $10. Most big titles on steam that are $50 or $60 usually take a little longer to hit 50%, much less 75% off.

I think he is referring to games that started at $60 as being AAA. Steamworld Dig started off at $10. Most big titles on steam that are $50 or $60 usually take a little longer to hit 50%, much less 75% off.

I don't think any games start at $50 or 60 on Steam :p But the wait isn't nearly as long as both of you make it out to be. Trust me, I buy Steam deals often enough to know lol. I was just using Steamworld Dig because it's an example from today. I could go through the whole library and do the same.

I was looking at AC4 which I saw on steam for ?45 last time I checked, same price I can get it for on my 360 as well, it's also not been put on sale yet from what I've been told.

I was looking at AC4 which I saw on steam for ?45 last time I checked, same price I can get it for on my 360 as well, it's also not been put on sale yet from what I've been told.

25% off at Xmas.

I don't think any games start at $50 or 60 on Steam :p But the wait isn't nearly as long as both of you make it out to be. Trust me, I buy Steam deals often enough to know lol. I was just using Steamworld Dig because it's an example from today. I could go through the whole library and do the same.

Ok now I know you have 'Steam' colored glasses on :laugh:

For people like yourself that cannot 'see any Steam game that is $50 or $60 on Steam', it would definitely be hard to believe. I happen to be in your group since I have yet to buy a game on Steam that was not on sale for at least 50% off.

If you know what the timeframe is for full priced titles to hit 50% or 75% off, then please share it, I really dont know what the average is. I'm sure someone already did this research.

25% off at Xmas.

That's not 50 or 75% off :p

Ok now I know you have 'Steam' colored glasses on :laugh:

For people like yourself that cannot 'see any Steam game that is $50 or $60 on Steam', it would definitely be hard to believe. I happen to be in your group since I have yet to buy a game on Steam that was not on sale for at least 50% off.

If you know what the timeframe is for full priced titles to hit 50% or 75% off, then please share it, I really dont know what the average is. I'm sure someone already did this research.

That's not 50 or 75% off :p

Well I've not researched it but I can definitely judge when one is due or when something is priced too highly. I see it often enough and I have a wishlist/library big enough to know when deals happen :laugh:

And the comment about $50/60 wasn't me wearing rose tinted glasses btw, I honestly don't know of any. Just out of curiosity I've URL hacked to find it and the most expensive game on Steam is ARMA 3 for ?40. Everything above that is either software or a collection of games/DLC. Followed closely behind by most of the recent CoD games and AC4 and then more collections.

But my point is you'll see games hit 75% long before they see that kind of price on XBL or PSN. AC4 will probably be 50% by the summer sale or at least 40%. No chance that'll happen on consoles DD. But like I've said about other console problems in the past, the only people who lose out are those that apologise for Microsoft/Sony and bend over when they say so. I'll look out for me and my wallet elsewhere :p (Y)

And the comment about $50/60 wasn't me wearing rose tinted glasses btw, I honestly don't know of any. Just out of curiosity I've URL hacked to find it and the most expensive game on Steam is ARMA 3 for ?40. Everything above that is either software or a collection of games/DLC. Followed closely behind by most of the recent CoD games and AC4 and then more collections.

Well there you go, more Euorpean pricing showing up. US pricing on Steam is showing several games at $50 or more. A quick count shows about 20 games at 50 or above and 9 of those at $60 (that is just counting games in the 'action' genre). I agree with your point, its just I wanted to add a little perspective to it.

Your overall point is most definitely true though, Steam offers much better deals than on consoles. A sale like the one in this thread is nice, but not enough to match the way Steam sales go on. That would take store wide deals, not just a couple deals a week.

Here is a breakdown of the larger sale on 360 games:

http://majornelson.com/2014/02/17/xbox-360-ultimate-games-sale/

Some good deals there.

Saw that this morning, I give them a B for effort :P

Only 4 games from 2013 and the rest a lot older. The games have been cheaper elsewhere for months too or in some cases part of PS+ IGC.

Looking forward to tomorrow's selection and hopefully I won't own everything on offer :laugh:

Saw that this morning, I give them a B for effort :p

Only 4 games from 2013 and the rest a lot older. The games have been cheaper elsewhere for months too or in some cases part of PS+ IGC.

Looking forward to tomorrow's selection and hopefully I won't own everything on offer :laugh:

I wondered how long it would take you to swoop in and remind us of how bad it is :laugh:

I wondered how long it would take you to swoop in and remind us of how bad it is :laugh:

lol.

I admit, I am very hard to please when it comes to deals and I am definitely in the minority here when it comes to what's on offer / already own ratio.

Again, I think it's absolutely great that they're doing the sales and the prices are great (Y) I'm "mean" because I care and because I love bargains lol :laugh:

lol.

I admit, I am very hard to please when it comes to deals and I am definitely in the minority here when it comes to what's on offer / already own ratio.

Again, I think it's absolutely great that they're doing the sales and the prices are great (Y) I'm "mean" because I care and because I love bargains lol :laugh:

I'm just being hard on you.  I get why you care.  I'm often the same way when it comes to buying just about anything.

As soon as MS offers a sale that offers 100% off games, then you can really celebrate.

They need to fix their Rayman Legends blooper. RRP is $40, it's $40 on PSN store, but is currently $60 on XBL. Not that anyone on Neowin is brainless enough to do so, but obviously do not buy it just now lol.

They need to fix their Rayman Legends blooper. RRP is $40, it's $40 on PSN store, but is currently $60 on XBL. Not that anyone on Neowin is brainless enough to do so, but obviously do not buy it just now lol.

I dont think that was one of the 'deals' posted :laugh:

I dont think that was one of the 'deals' posted :laugh:

Nah of course not, I just didn't want to create a topic to point out something MS will no doubt fix within the next few hours! Just hope them/Ubisoft have the refunds ready for anyone who does purchase it just now.

edit: Apparently fixed already!