How do you backup?

What is your main preference when backing up?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you backup?

2. 2. What media?

3. 3. What exactly do you back up?

• Non-replacable
    • Everything (image a entire drive/drives)
    • Important but replacable

I have a rather stringent backup system.

I have a small server upstairs which is in Raid 5. Everything gets backed up to this via Time Machine (macs) + Windows Backup (windows) on a continuous basis as and when they need to.

These backups, plus copies of everything else on the server that cannot be replaced easily, gets backed up locally to another network location every 24 hours. I keep daily backups for last 7 days, then 4 weekly backups, then monthly from there.

There's a small app on the server which automatically backs up USB flash drives (<64GB) whenever they're plugged into it. I plug all of our USB flash drives in randomly (i.e. when I remember) just in case. They don't normally contain anything important, but I do it every so often anyway.

The daily backups get copied off-site every Monday and Friday. Keeping a similar approach, I keep the last 4 (2 weeks) of biweekly backups, followed by 1 per week for the next 4 weeks, followed by another 4 monthly backups.

The entire server gets scanned for viruses on a daily basis - including scanning all backups.

Sounds pretty complicated, but it all happens automatically.

Local: Pretty much everything on a server

Cloud: Non-replaceable content on Amazon S3 and Glacier

Used to have off-site backups, but low cost storage from Amazon has saved me a lot of hassle. :)

I am so weary of using Dropbox for backups because of SLA concerns. 

I use an S3 server for my last month of daily backups and a glacier server for everything older than that. I backup my webservers, my pcs and my laptop.

All my pictures/videos/etc are all on my additional S3 server which I use as a CDN. This way I can share my pictures with friends and don't have to worry about my classified documents being on the same environment. 

And finally, on-site I have a NAS with an UPS that stores data on-site which is all encrypted and password protected just in case I can't access AWS or if my push to Amazon fails for some reason.

At work we use an offsite backup to our data centre which is then mirrored to a second DC in another part of the country.

At home, all of my irreplaceable (mainly photos and documents) Are in the cloud, everything else is on my NAS drive. 

documents & pictures is pretty much all i back up. and i do that with a combination of dropbox and skydrive.

skydrive for documents & dropbox for pics & other misc items

Hello,

What happened to the choice of both on and off site?

Due to the thread not being oriented towards that, I respectfully PMed someone to remove it :)

I wanted to know what members perfered :)

Hello,

Due to the thread not being oriented towards that, I respectfully PMed someone to remove it :)

I wanted to know what members perfered :)

I "Prefer" BOTH!

Hello,

I "Prefer" BOTH!

From your overkill post:

For me personally, I tend to go a little overboard, but then again I don?t think you can ever have too many backups.

Inside my computer I have 6 hard drives. 1 of which is used for backup. Every night all of my important things get backed up to that hard drive. At the same time I also have a carbonite subscription which I have about 20GB worth of information that gets backed up there.

Then I also bought 2 regular 3.5 3TB hard drives, to backup every drive on my system. I use it in conjunction with a Sata dock. 1 of the 3TB drives stays in my office, while the other drive gets put in a safety deposit box at the bank. Both drives get swapped monthly and both drives are never at my house at the same time.

The Sata dock via esata gives you native Sata speeds, thus making for a much faster backup.

The software I use is syncback SE, it?s configured never to delete from the backup and to update files which are new or that have changed. Thus the very first backup takes the longest, after that, not so much.

As far as my quickbooks company files I have versioning setup which saves 7 versions on a usb drive plugged into my Quickbooks laptop (Accessed from all computers via RDP) and 2 computers on my network. Which in turn gets grabbed by carbonite and my offsite backup.

You mention that one of your HDDs is backed up to that hard drive (onsite) and at the same time (but you mention it AFTER) you backup to a offsite cloud. You technically you perfer onsite :) Not only that, but you PERFER to restore your backups from onsite, it seems.

Im sorry that the option is not avaliable but I wanted to see what people perfer to do :)

• 1 month later...