PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

This will win the day when immersive games like Skyrim will be released.

For now it doesn't really matter all that much. Most of the games are ports of last gen titles. The gfx are not really great anyway. And most of the "next gen" games are meh. I don't know if i'm the only one but to me both the PS4 and One lineup right now look really average at best. The only game i'm dying to play right now is Killer Instinct and it is certainly not because of the gfx ;).

But if the trend continue when games like Skyrim will hit the next gen consoles with next gen gfx it will hurt the One cause let's be honest for an immersive game like Skyrim even a slight advantage in the gfx department is a big deal to a lot of people.

I suppose you could wait and see games that are next gen only to compare, but its rough out there.

All these people saying 'graphics and resolution ins't everything' just don't get it.  Granted gameplay>graphics but there is something seriously wrong if a machine released only a few months ago cannot hit 1080p at a suitable frame rate.

We had 720p games 8 years ago when 1080p displays were already the standard, to only bump that up to maybe 900p if you're lucky is simply clownshoes.  Especially since the device costs ?430 they have really really let themselves down.

All these people saying 'graphics and resolution ins't everything' just don't get it.  Granted gameplay>graphics but there is something seriously wrong if a machine released only a few months ago cannot hit 1080p at a suitable frame rate.

We had 720p games 8 years ago when 1080p displays were already the standard, to only bump that up to maybe 900p if you're lucky is simply clownshoes.  Especially since the device costs ?430 they have really really let themselves down.

I'm not big on graphics, but man... if this is true, it's a HUGE difference. :/

Xbox 360

WhONeqY.jpg

Xbox One

2V4MYvO.jpg

Playstation 3

ANSaPil.jpg

Playsation 4OvAeOPb.jpg

I'm not big on graphics, but man... if this is true, it's a HUGE difference. :/

I literally can't see a difference between the 360 and X1 versions. If I stare at the two long enough, I can sort of convince myself that the X1 shot looks a bit sharper in some places.

I can clearly see a difference between the ps3 and ps4 versions.

Weird stuff

Only difference I can see between the 360 and X1 version is the lighting. Most noticable on the burnt out oil drum.

The clarity between the PS3 and 4 is world's apart though.

It makes you wonder what they actually did to the X1 version.

I had the same impression you did.

I think the question to be asking right now is how much is DirectX to blame in all of this. The consoles results combined with statements from AMD, NVidia and Valve all point towards DirectX being notably slower that competing APIs, to the extent that Nvidia claimed even "Na?ve OpenGL" is faster.

If that is indeed the root problem, then MSFT might be able to salvage the situation in both the PC and Console markets, otherwise they're on the express train to irrelevance.

Only difference I can see between the 360 and X1 version is the lighting. Most noticable on the burnt out oil drum.

The clarity between the PS3 and 4 is world's apart though.

They're not identical scenes so it's not really a fair comparison but it's clear that the PS4 has the upper hand in terms of graphics. Then again, that's to be expecting when the PS4 is running at more than twice the resolution. The XB1 version is only running at 720p, meaning that it can't even be considered a next-gen title.

They're not identical scenes so it's not really a fair comparison but it's clear that the PS4 has the upper hand in terms of graphics. Then again, that's to be expecting when the PS4 is running at more than twice the resolution. The XB1 version is only running at 720p, meaning that it can't even be considered a next-gen title.

Well obviously but just comparing X1 and 360 and there's barely a difference. In fact I don't think there is any differences besides the lighting :no:

Is Konami handling all the versions internally?

This is a much bigger deal than any differences we saw between 360 and PS3. I'm actually beginning to worry about the performance gap and if the freed resources will be enough :unsure:

When the 360 and X1 versions are so similar, you have to wonder what is happening.

Well obviously but just comparing X1 and 360 and there's barely a difference. In fact I don't think there is any differences besides the lighting :no:

Is Konami handling all the versions internally?

This is a much bigger deal than any differences we saw between 360 and PS3. I'm actually beginning to worry about the performance gap and if the freed resources will be enough :unsure:

It seems illogical that this could be blamed on the X1 hardware. This is the 360 vs the X1. No one has claimed that the X1 was anything but several times more powerful than the 360. So what gives?

I think the question to be asking right now is how much is DirectX to blame in all of this. The consoles results combined with statements from AMD, NVidia and Valve all point towards DirectX being notably slower that competing APIs, to the extent that Nvidia claimed even "Na?ve OpenGL" is faster.

If that is indeed the root problem, then MSFT might be able to salvage the situation in both the PC and Console markets, otherwise they're on the express train to irrelevance.

I have a hard time beliving that all of a sudden directx is holding the X1 back in any serious manner. I guess anything is possible though.

Has Microsoft fixed the Xbox One scaler?

Digital Foundry on how the new system software improves sub-1080p image quality.

Microsoft hasn't made things easy for itself. For a console with so many sub-1080p games, the quality of its internal hardware scaler has been deeply unsatisfactory up to now, resulting in poorer-than-expected image quality in a lot of key exclusives and multi-platform titles. The good news is that this weekend's Xbox One system update, which followed hot on the heels of the Titanfall beta, has seen Microsoft take positive steps in resolving the issue.

First things first, though: what went wrong with the pre-patch scaler? Well, most notably, image quality was compromised by a poorly judged sharpening filter that actually emphasised jagged edges, while a distinct gamma shift was also visible on several games, resulting in unnaturally high contrasts that didn't exactly complement the artificially enhanced edges and upscaling artefacts. Ultimately, rather than helping titles such as Call of Duty: Ghosts and Assassin's Creed 4 better stand up to PS4 equivalents running at native 1080p, the scaler made them look significantly worse.

Up until the new firmware shipped over the weekend, the only way to circumvent the sharpening filter on native 720p titles was by manually switching the console to match the game resolution, thus letting your TV or monitor take care of the scaling.

However, this constant swapping between display modes was obviously a hassle and most people would never bother. It didn't solve the problem anyway: while games such as Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct and Call of Duty appeared smoother and more natural this way rather than using the scaler, forcing 720p output didn't seem to entirely disable the unwanted filter. A close look at edges on a pixel level showed that the sharpening effect (halos around objects) was still present, just operating with a significantly lower intensity. Furthermore, the technique simply didn't work on games that rendered in resolutions higher than 720p but below 1080p, such as Assassin's Creed (1600x900) and indeed the precious Titanfall beta (1408x792).

So, how much of a difference does the new Xbox One firmware make? Is the sharpening effect gone, and what changes if any have been made to the scaling algorithm and the existing gamma set-up? In the run-up to the Xbox One launch, Microsoft promised us a quality upscaling solution, so we couldn't help wonder whether this update would finally deliver...

Continues...

So are you suggesting now Konami or Kojima took a sack of money to make PS4 look better? :laugh:

Highly doubt that, but if the 360 and X1 versions look so similar, you have to wonder if they simply did not prioritize that console against the ps4.

Highly doubt that, but if the 360 and X1 versions look so similar, you have to wonder if they simply did not prioritize that console against the ps4.

Probably some truth in this, but that still doesn't sit nice for MS if the devs who prioritized the 360 version last gen now have the X1 version as far down the list as we see here. Complete role reversal of last gen in terms of headaches with hardware/development SDK.

MS should never of lost the reigns to this extent, keeping Sony playing catch up on the software front was one of their trojan horses with the 360 vs PS3.

I know we have the 3 tier OS/TV/multimedia argument, but the hearts of the gamer were won last gen by the multiplats reigning superior on the 360 coupled with the OS being better for multiplayer. Now Sony have caught up with the cross voice chat, one of the last omissions and we know how the multiplats are currently going.

Probably some truth in this, but that still doesn't sit nice for MS if the devs who prioritized the 360 version last gen now have the X1 version as far down the list as we see here. Complete role reversal of last gen in terms of headaches with hardware/development SDK.

MS should never of lost the reigns to this extent, keeping Sony playing catch up on the software front was one of their trojan horses with the 360 vs PS3.

I know we have the 3 tier OS/TV/multimedia argument, but the hearts of the gamer were won last gen by the multiplats reigning superior on the 360 coupled with the OS being better for multiplayer. Now Sony have caught up with the cross voice chat, one of the last omissions and we know how the multiplats are currently going.

Well then the only piece left is if MS can right the ship like Sony did last gen. Sony was able to close the gap with developers and multiplatform games got better over time, with a few exceptions. Can MS make development easier and thefore close the gap enough to matter? Hard to know for sure.

If they can't, its over before it even got started.

Other profile pic was better... :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I have a hard time beliving that all of a sudden directx is holding the X1 back in any serious manner. I guess anything is possible though.

DirectX being the cause is the best possible outcome for Microsoft in this situation, if the disparity is down to hardware then they're obviously gimped for the rest of the generation. Software can be patched.

As it stands right now there is a API coup coming and the more time that passes without action from Microsoft, the worse the situation becomes for them. Losing the status of de facto API on the PC could have further negative impact on the Console space, and it's a position they won't get back if they do lose it.

DirectX being the cause is the best possible outcome for Microsoft in this situation, if the disparity is down to hardware then they're obviously gimped for the rest of the generation. Software can be patched.

As it stands right now there is a API coup coming and the more time that passes without action from Microsoft, the worse the situation becomes for them. Losing the status of de facto API on the PC could have further negative impact on the Console space, and it's a position they won't get back if they do lose it.

What if its not a problem with DirectX as much as their sdk/drivers?

I mean I know everyone is giddy over Mantle as the replacement for DirectX, but is it really so terrible? But lets assume your right and DirectX is fundamentally flawed. Well then MS can't fix it and its over. Or they adopt Mantle as well and just bow out of the whole api race.

June 2013

The difference in power between the PS4 and Xbox One is small and nothing to worry about, Hideo Kojima has told 4Gamer.

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/metal_gear_solid_5_the_phantom_pain/news/ps4_and_xbox_one_power_difference_is_minimal_says_kojima.html

Feb 2014

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima is a major PlayStation 4 supporter, saying in a new interview that Sony's new console is so powerful that it can render 1080p at 60fps with "room to spare."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojima-playstation-4-can-render-1080p-at-60fps-with-room-to-spare/1100-6417709/

Interesting where both console makers choose to drop their bags of money. Pick your poison. Better looking games vs better games period. The latter has historically proven to be the better choice.

June 2013

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/metal_gear_solid_5_the_phantom_pain/news/ps4_and_xbox_one_power_difference_is_minimal_says_kojima.html

Feb 2014

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojima-playstation-4-can-render-1080p-at-60fps-with-room-to-spare/1100-6417709/

Interesting where both console makers choose to drop their bags of money. Pick your poison. Better looking games vs better games period. The latter has historically proven to be the better choice.

Ends up being what you think is a "better game period".   Plenty of PS3 titles I thought looked way better story/game wise than Xbox360 games.  The latter is personal choice.