PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

On 05/12/2015, 08:04:42, GotBored said:

*NEW* PS4 & Xbox One resolution and frame rate summary.

PS4:

1080p - 72/81 Games  (88.9%)

60fps -  46/81 Games (56.8%)

- Both 1080p & 60fps - 44/81 (54.3%)

Xbox One:

1080p -30/69 Games (43.4%)

60fps - 32/69 Games (46.3%)

- Both 1080p & 60fps - 14/69  (20.2%)

Source: http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

That brilliantly sums up what was already known for a long time, which is that the XB1 is simply not competitive with the PS4 when it comes to performance.

1 hour ago, notchinese said:

As an owner of both since day 1, claiming its "in no way close to the power of the PS4" is just stupid.

Not stupid at all. The numbers don't lie. It really is lacking in power and doesn't come close to the PS4. The difference between 900p and 1080p is massive in terms of processing power.

1 hour ago, SnoopZ said:

It is clear to me the Xbox One has the best games selection the best user interface, the best controller, and it is close enough in my opinion for reso!ution to not ruin the games.

Opinions are good, aren't they?

2 hours ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

That brilliantly sums up what was already known for a long time, which is that the XB1 is simply not competitive with the PS4 when it comes to performance.

If that's what you care about, then sure. But to say "performance" in the general when you're only talking fps and resolution then I'd have to say you're forgetting a that the PS4 has commonly had problems in maintaining a solid frame rate (experience much larger dips). There are at least some things the X1 does excel at over the PS4 when it comes to performance.

On 12/5/2015, 2:04:42, GotBored said:

*NEW* PS4 & Xbox One resolution and frame rate summary.

PS4:

1080p - 72/81 Games  (88.9%)

60fps -  46/81 Games (56.8%)

- Both 1080p & 60fps - 44/81 (54.3%)

Xbox One:

1080p -30/69 Games (43.4%)

60fps - 32/69 Games (46.3%)

- Both 1080p & 60fps - 14/69  (20.2%)

Source: http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Please note these resolutions and frame rates are provided by game publishers and do not represent average fps and in some case don't seem to indicate if game is upscaled or native 1080p.

For example COD Ghosts on Xbox One is written as native 1080p on source article while other sources indicate it is 720p native upscaled to 1080p. I don't have the time to verify all 150+ games but it is safe to assume X1 will have more upscaled games than PS4  rather than native 1080p.

Difference between native 1080p and upscaled 1080p.

Looks like the long list of changes / software upgrades to the Xbox One that people had hoped would put it on the same level playing field as the PS4 still hasn't come to fruition. PS4 still outperforms the Xbox One.

As pointed out at Neogaf (and other sites), that wiki is missing a ton of games sadly. Hoping one day we get a more reliable option.

On 12/6/2015, 5:27:26, notchinese said:

As an owner of both since day 1, claiming its "in no way close to the power of the PS4" is just stupid.

Indeed. Oddly enough, with the Xbox One being minimally less powerful than the PS4, it has games on it that look better than PS4 games. It's like a turn of the tables.

On 12/7/2015, 12:36:30, Polonium said:

Having recently purchased an Xbox, it's clear to see that it's in no way close to the power of the PS4.

This being said, the exclusives are good fun and I'm pretty sure that's what gaming is all about

Really? What games are you playing on both? I've had both since launch and when they are running you cannot literally tell any difference between multiplats. You're gaming on a 65" a couple of feet away. This isn't youtube comparisons your seeing of close ups of lack of grass and textures paused.

That said exclusive wise if your looking for the best looking games of next gen Ryse, Tomb Raider, Forza 6. Are the best looking games I've played this generation yet. Ryse most importantly and it's only 900p I believe..?

I thought the Forza 6 demo looked somewhat terrible.  It was hard to describe.  It just looks bland and plasticy.  I thought Horizon 2 looked better.  Heck, I thought every recent racing game I owned looked better, going back to NFS: The Run on PC...

I know it's just a demo so it might not be exactly the same as release, but if/when I finish Horizon 2 I'll probably be looking for something else.

I think Need for Speed is my last multiplatform title I'll get on the X1, going back to PC for everything I can from now on.  I have no complaints, but with DX12 PC loses the only major disadvantage it has...and launch day perf on the X1 has been fairly questionable with a lot of titles.

Forza's PQ is always high enough, it's the lighting that usually takes the biggest hit to get to 1080/60 which can make things look bland/unrealistic. Lighting is one of the hardest things to do on limited resources, hence why console games tend to have lots of pre-baked lighting. Especially if 1080/60 is the target.

Horizon was allowed to go for 1080/30 which is why lighting can get a sizeable boost. Similar to DC which has tremendous lighting effects.

1 hour ago, Audioboxer said:

Lighting is one of the hardest things to do on limited resources, hence why console games tend to have lots of pre-baked lighting.

I've switched receivers since the first time I played Destiny, but 2.0 still seems to have a nice lighting upgrade compared to the original game.  They don't really list it in patch notes that I've noticed, so I don't know.

I don't think the X1 will become amazing, though I think games that use cloud assist will do some interesting stuff...but I've still been impressed with what it can do in the right hands.

18 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

Complain about whinging... go on and make a thoroughly whinging post....

Entire thread needs to be closed honestly.. I don't remember us having a 100 page thread on the 360 outclassing PS3 multiplats unless my memory is shotty. Useless endless circle here.

9 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

Entire thread needs to be closed honestly.. I don't remember us having a 100 page thread on the 360 outclassing PS3 multiplats unless my memory is shotty. Useless endless circle here.

Back then DF articles were posted as individual topics, and were allowed, they weren't closed. Mods this time around decided to put everything in one topic rather than individual threads.

23 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

I don't see a problem with this thread here as long there are only facts. 

What seems to pollute this thread is people bringing their opinions into what should be a factual discussion. If you have the stats (resolution and FPS) then great, if a member then states "well I still think the Xbox/PS4 is better for me" that's great, but not what this thread should be about. This shouldn't be a discussion about which multiplat game looks better in your opinion, it should be purely about the resolution/framerate of said game.

I guess the only opinion that should be allowed is how the Xbox can start achieving that golden benchmark or how the PS4 will continue to improve. 

34 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

That's because the difference between the X360 and PS3 was extremely small. The difference this generation is much greater, with some games running at half the framerate or half the resolution on XB1 versus the PS4. This topic is simply a way to have all performance related topics in one place, as otherwise there would be a separate topic for each game. If you don't like this topic then just ignore it - it really is that simple.

6 hours ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

That's because the difference between the X360 and PS3 was extremely small. The difference this generation is much greater, with some games running at half the framerate or half the resolution on XB1 versus the PS4. This topic is simply a way to have all performance related topics in one place, as otherwise there would be a separate topic for each game. If you don't like this topic then just ignore it - it really is that simple.

Actually the difference this gen is smaller than last gen, as stated by many developers as well.

That said, if one doesn't like this topic, why on earth would they read it or post in it?

21 minutes ago, Kvally said:

Actually the difference this gen is smaller than last gen, as stated by many developers as well.

That's simply not true. Last generation you never had one console running at half the resolution of the other or half the framerate. The X360 was generally slightly faster than the PS3 in many games but not by much. This generation the PS4 is substantially faster than the XB1 in most games. The vast majority of games on PS4 run at 1080p; on the XB1 the majority of games DON'T run at 1080p. Further, you'd had developers say the difference is 'very significant'.

Just to prove the difference is greater, GTA 4 was one of the highest profile games of last generation where the PS3 underperformed the X360 - it was at 630p, which is only 77% of the resolution of the X360's 720p. This generation most XB1 games run at 900p or less, which is 69% of the PS4's 1080p; at the extreme end we see games on the XB1 running at 720p versus the PS4's 1080p, which is just 44% of the resolution. Objectively and factually speaking the difference this generation is greater than last generation, in many cases significantly greater.

20 minutes ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

That's simply not true. Last generation you never had one console running at half the resolution of the other or half the framerate.

No, you just had about two years where devs could barely figure out how to code for the PS3 heh.

1 hour ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

That's simply not true. Last generation you never had one console running at half the resolution of the other or half the framerate. The X360 was generally slightly faster than the PS3 in many games but not by much. This generation the PS4 is substantially faster than the XB1 in most games. The vast majority of games on PS4 run at 1080p; on the XB1 the majority of games DON'T run at 1080p. Further, you'd had developers say the difference is 'very significant'.

Just to prove the difference is greater, GTA 4 was one of the highest profile games of last generation where the PS3 underperformed the X360 - it was at 630p, which is only 77% of the resolution of the X360's 720p. This generation most XB1 games run at 900p or less, which is 69% of the PS4's 1080p; at the extreme end we see games on the XB1 running at 720p versus the PS4's 1080p, which is just 44% of the resolution. Objectively and factually speaking the difference this generation is greater than last generation, in many cases significantly greater.

It simply is true.

I was talking about the hardware performance, not games. The PS3 had faster more powerful hardware then the 360 by a larger margin than they do this gen. Sadly, the uber powerful cell was the biggest bitch to code for.

Actually, you are factually wrong. This generation, MOST Xbox One games run at 900[p or higher.

14 minutes ago, Kvally said:

It simply is true.

I was talking about the hardware performance, not games. The PS3 had faster more powerful hardware then the 360 by a larger margin than they do this gen. Sadly, the uber powerful cell was the biggest bitch to code for.

Actually, you are factually wrong. This generation, MOST Xbox One games run at 900[p or higher.

Simply saying it's true doesn't make it so. I provided evidence demonstrating that you're wrong and yet still you refuse to accept it. As for you last point, what I said was that most XB1 games don't run at 1080p (as pointed out earlier) - you're arguing a point I never made, a straw man fallacy.

By all means provide evidence to the contrary and I'll be happy to reconsider my position but nothing you've said refutes my earlier post. You've simply chosen to ignore the evidence and maintain your unfounded belief.

8 minutes ago, randomevent said:

Aside from a John Carmack quote I was looking at and lost, there's this guy http://www.psu.com/News/26625/PS4-vs-Xbox-One--both-consoles-are-nearly-identical-says-developer

That's from an indie developer that has only made ONE game and it isn't even graphically demanding:

ss_4e814edd055656b741f71081bdbae614cacf1

2 minutes ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

That's from an indie developer that has only made ONE game and it isn't even graphically demanding:

ss_4e814edd055656b741f71081bdbae614cacf1

We love how you have to find a way to pick the developer apart. Just because it doesn't match your agenda doesn't change the fact that developer obviously knows more than you. That said:

PS4 And Xbox One Performance Is Nearly Identical

http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-and-xbox-one-performance-is-nearly-identical-cloud-can-help-xbox-one-in-certain-ways-dev

Destiny’s graphics nearly identical on PS4 and Xbox One

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/190078-destinys-graphics-on-the-ps4-and-xbox-one-are-almost-identical-maybe-the-xbox-one-can-hit-1080p-after-all

Xbox One nearly identical to PS4, says Resident Evil creator

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/xbox-identical-ps4-resident-evil-creator-mikami/

PS4 and Xbox One power difference is minimal, says Kojima

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/metal_gear_solid_5_the_phantom_pain/news/ps4_and_xbox_one_power_difference_is_minimal_says_kojima.html

Xbox One and PS4 hardware specs are ‘essentially the same,’ says John Carmack

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/162976-xbox-one-and-ps4-hardware-specs-are-essentially-the-same-says-john-carmack

Granted, I don't have time to sit and post all the others that show up in google results, but you get the picture.

38 minutes ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

Simply saying it's true doesn't make it so. I provided evidence demonstrating that you're wrong and yet still you refuse to accept it. As for you last point, what I said was that most XB1 games don't run at 1080p (as pointed out earlier) - you're arguing a point I never made, a straw man fallacy.

By all means provide evidence to the contrary and I'll be happy to reconsider my position but nothing you've said refutes my earlier post. You've simply chosen to ignore the evidence and maintain your unfounded belief.

Simply stating it is not true doesn't make it so. You didn't provide anything other than fabricated numbers (whether you inherited them from a clueless source or you made them up I don't know). And we all know that IGN is missing a crap ton of games from their little wiki.

You said (and I have the quote):

"This generation most XB1 games run at 900p or less, which is 69% of the PS4's 1080p"

and now you just said:

"what I said was that most XB1 games don't run at 1080p"

No, you clearly said 2 things. You said most games don't run at 1080p on Xbox One, and then you said most Xbox One games run at 900p or less. When in fact, most of the games on the Xbox One are 900p or higher.

18 minutes ago, Kvally said:

most Xbox One games run at 900p or less. When in fact, most of the games on the Xbox One are 900p or higher.

Those two things are not exclusive.

As for that developer, I thought John Carmack spoke for himself.  I just needed to leave so didn't feel like finding more links at the time.

Who cares what anyone says as an opinion, facts and figures don't lie, and that's what this topic should be. Straight up figures (FPS and resolution) and DF articles. Maybe if it did just stay that it would die off as some ask for - It's really most the opinions that keep this topic going :p

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kvally said:

Simply stating it is not true doesn't make it so. You didn't provide anything other than fabricated numbers (whether you inherited them from a clueless source or you made them up I don't know). And we all know that IGN is missing a crap ton of games from their little wiki.

You said (and I have the quote):

"This generation most XB1 games run at 900p or less, which is 69% of the PS4's 1080p"

and now you just said:

"what I said was that most XB1 games don't run at 1080p"

No, you clearly said 2 things. You said most games don't run at 1080p on Xbox One, and then you said most Xbox One games run at 900p or less. When in fact, most of the games on the Xbox One are 900p or higher.

Can you really not see that those two statements make the same point? I don't understand how you think they're different. As for the IGN list, that is the most comprehensive comparison of the two platforms that we have. You haven't provided any evidence that 'most of the games on the Xbox One are 900p or higher'. That statement may be true—something I fully accept—but you haven't provided any evidence to support it. Based on the information we have the PS4 consistently manages 1080p, whereas the XB1 consistently doesn't. Either way it is indisputable that the PS4 has fewer games running at 900p or below. In fact I'm not aware of a single game on the PS4 that runs below 900p, whereas there are numerous games on XB1 that do.

As for your claim about developers, there are those on either side of the debate—some claiming the difference is 'significant', others claiming the difference is 'minimal'—and it's a subjective argument so we're not going to make any progress there. All I would point out is that the numbers speak for themselves.