Windows 8.1 Boot to desktop Selection screen mockup.

It strikes me as strange why this mock-up wasn't included as part of the setup questions about privacy and similar. 

Also: BRING BACK THE ABILITY TO HAVE A NON-MICROSOFT ACCOUNT without having to disconnect a network cable during the install.

Actually all you have to do is just make up a bogus username and bogus password and it will say incorrect at which point it also gives you the option to create a local account.

Actually all you have to do is just make up a bogus username and bogus password and it will say incorrect at which point it also gives you the option to create a local account.

Why should you have to do something like that at all?

Not needed. The public has already made this choice and its an overwhelming rejection of the failed "Metro" interface and the Start Screen.

Where? XBox One sold billions. Windows Phone sales continue to increase. Both contain Metro interfaces.

• Like 1

Where? XBox One sold billions. Windows Phone sales continue to increase. Both contain Metro interfaces.

Yes because Xbox and a phone are the same as a PC.

You don't have a choice on those systems.  On a PC, you do have a choice.  If you get an Xbox One, you HAVE to use the interface you give you.  If you use a PC, you can downgrade to Windows 7.

• Like 1

Yes because Xbox and a phone are the same as a PC.

You don't have a choice on those systems.  On a PC, you do have a choice.  If you get an Xbox One, you HAVE to use the interface you give you.  If you use a PC, you can downgrade to Windows 7.

Um. Ok.... Just what do you think makes up an XBox? What makes it any different than a PC?

Um. Ok.... Just what do you think makes up an XBox? What makes it any different than a PC?

It doesn't run the same applications, isn't used for the same purposes and uses different input devices in a different context and typically on a different type of screen maybe?

It doesn't run the same applications, isn't used for the same purposes and uses different input devices in a different context and typically on a different type of screen maybe?

It will before long, if not already. I don't see how they can't deliver the same UX, especially, when one can enter the old desktop on a PC.

It will before long, if not already. I don't see how they can't deliver the same UX, especially, when one can enter the old desktop on a PC.

this makes no sense, just admit you were wrong about an xbox and pc being fundementally the "same".

What? Can you run Photoshop on Xbox One?

In theory, you could. They run the same hardware, and share the same OS core.

this makes no sense, just admit you were wrong about an xbox and pc being fundementally the "same".

It makes perfect sense. See above.

In theory, you could. They run the same hardware, and share the same OS core.

But that doesn't mean anything. The Xbox is designed not to run to this of application; it's an implementation detail that it shares OS components with Windows. The Xbox One is designed to be a living room entertainement system, with all the context, usage scenarios, input/output devices, and type of application supported consequences that this entails. Photoshop (and desktop apps in general) is out of the picture not just incidentally but by design.

But that doesn't mean anything. The Xbox is designed not to run to this of application; it's an implementation detail that it shares OS components with Windows. The Xbox One is designed to be a living room entertainement system, with all the context, usage scenarios, input/output devices, and type of application supported consequences that this entails. Photoshop (and desktop apps in general) is out of the picture not just incidentally but by design.

Ok, but how does that change anything? Both devices deliver the same services. If Adobe wanted to, it wouldn't take much to port their Windows 8 app. The PC can do that too. It can run the same peripherals the Xbox can. Metro still has a place on the PC.

Why is Photoshop such a critical "showstopper" that the desktop PC cannot evolve to meet the next generation of users and technology?

Ok, but how does that change anything? Both devices deliver the same services. If Adobe wanted to, it wouldn't take much to port their Windows 8 app. The PC can do that too. It can run the same peripherals the Xbox can. Metro still has a place on the PC.

Why is Photoshop such a critical "showstopper" that the desktop PC cannot evolve to meet the next generation of users and technology?

How are they delivering the same services when the PC can't run Xbox One games which is its primary software and the Xbox One cannot run desktop applications which are the primary type of Windows applications? On Metro apps, the support on Xbox One isn't even there yet, and it's likely they won't run unmodified on Xbox One anyway; Microsoft has merely said they'll try to make porting easy. The PC also supports vastly more peripherals than Xbox One; you can't even use an Xbox 360 controller on an Xbox One!

I honestly don't understand the point you're trying to make: we're talking about two very different devices designed for completely different purposes. The idea of using Photoshop (real Photoshop, not the photo touch-up app that has "Photoshop" in the name) on an Xbox One is amusing at best. And I'm just using it as a well-known example of the type of application that's not supported by the console.

How are they delivering the same services when the PC can't run Xbox One games which is its primary software and the Xbox One cannot run desktop applications which are the primary type of Windows applications? On Metro apps, the support on Xbox One isn't even there yet, and it's likely they won't run unmodified on Xbox One anyway; Microsoft has merely said they'll try to make porting easy. The PC also supports vastly more peripherals than Xbox One; you can't even use an Xbox 360 controller on an Xbox One!

I honestly don't understand the point you're trying to make: we're talking about two very different devices designed for completely different purposes. The idea of using Photoshop (real Photoshop, not the photo touch-up app that has "Photoshop" in the name) on an Xbox One is amusing at best. And I'm just using it as a well-known example of the type of application that's not supported by the console.

What about AutoCAD, Blender, 3DS Max, Cinema 4D, and others?

They would make horrible metro apps, I can't even imagine using them on the Xbox.

Face it, The PC is used for different things.  Aren't these different OSes anyway?  They might have the same core, but it is not 100% identical.

What about AutoCAD, Blender, 3DS Max, Cinema 4D, and others?

They would make horrible metro apps, I can't even imagine using them on the Xbox.

Face it, The PC is used for different things.  Aren't these different OSes anyway?  They might have the same core, but it is not 100% identical.

How much money could I bet that you don't even use them on a PC...? You keep bringing up these applications but something tells me you don't even use them anyway day to day.

How much money could I bet that you don't even use them on a PC...? You keep bringing up these applications but something tells me you don't even use them anyway day to day.

Aren't these hugely popular applications? What difference does it make to the argument that the person making it uses them?

Aren't these hugely popular applications? What difference does it make to the argument that the person making it uses them?

Popular? No. Industry specific, yes.

Popular? No. Industry specific, yes.

Blender and 3DS Max easily have hundreds of thousands of users each. Are you trying to restrict the definition of "popular" to consumer oriented software to suit your argument?

Blender and 3DS Max easily have hundreds of thousands of users each. Are you trying to restrict the definition of "popular" to consumer oriented software to suit your argument?

Thousands of users... among millions is hardly "popular". Angry Birds is popular. Firefox is popular. Facebook is popular. VLC is popular. Office is popular.

Ordinary computer users don't seek out industry specific applications, such as the ones listed. These are not "popular" applications. 

Thousands of users... among millions is hardly "popular". Angry Birds is popular. Firefox is popular. Facebook is popular. VLC is popular. Office is popular.

Ordinary computer users don't seek out industry specific applications, such as the ones listed. These are not "popular" applications. 

So if it doesn't figure among the top 50 most downloaded applications, it isn't "popular"? Let's not fight over words then. Let's just say "used by a very large number of people everywhere around the world". I thought "popular" was a good word for that, but I can do without.

Um....I do use Blender.  I do not use the other programs BUT I have used the trials.  I do not want to spend $3,000+ on a 3D Modeling program, so I use Blender.  So please, do not tell me what I do and do not use.  I write games, so I use Blender for making 3D models.