Site outages

I had to contact ICANN recently and I didn't get a response for two weeks!

Shouldn't it be your registrar, Dotster, that would resolve this on your behalf? It would be very unusual for any company to deal directly with ICANN.

Anyone else seeing sporadic outages today? Service comes then goes. I get a timeout error.

Yes, trouble loading today too

Can we get the full story just in case we are vulnerable as well ?

I have a few sites I would like to check so they don't go out for the day.

I've created a forward lookup zone and A records for your site on my local DNS as well, please let us know when it is resolved so I can kill it.

Invalid contact e-mail on the whois record, see below

I've contacted ICANN through the support ticket to get it reinstated but I don't have any idea how long that process takes. It was due to one of the many email addresses that are tied to our account/domains not working. Although the email addresses on the public WHOIS do work and are valid. Just one of those things.. :/

Hello,

Good on this end. Yesterday and today.

Might be a region issue? (since DNSs are involved)

Same, haven't had any downtime.

For once my region isn't screwing me over. :laugh:

Same, haven't had any downtime.

For once my region isn't screwing me over. :laugh:

Or it is. If you can still access via neowin.net, that means your ISP is being incredibly skanky and caching DNS results for far longer than they should be...

Or it is. If you can still access via neowin.net, that means your ISP is being incredibly skanky and caching DNS results for far longer than they should be...

Not really sure that I would consider it a bad thing.

http://www.icann.org/en/resources/compliance/complaints/registrars/contact-verification is the summary but I think the pertinent information is here: http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/raa/approved-with-specs-27jun13-en.htm#whois-accuracy

Care to explain why it's bad? It seems to be benefiting me right now. :huh:

Because your ISP could just as easily be caching the wrong information. Sites might be using a low TTL for a reason (Like they're running on Amazons cluster and it's just moved the site to a different host, so the IP changed, etc.)

Because your ISP could just as easily be caching the wrong information. Sites might be using a low TTL for a reason (Like they're running on Amazons cluster and it's just moved the site to a different host, so the IP changed, etc.)

Thanks for the explanation. (Y) Hopefully my ISP isn't doing this. :/

Was able to get in via the neow.in URL, but then I couldn't log in because the login action refers to neowin.net , so it kept timing out when I wanted to log in.  Ended up adding a line to /etc/hosts pointing to the IP address I got from pinging neow.in so I could just visit neowin.net and log in.

If anybody else is able to browse neowin but can't log in because of being referred to neowin.net , you can modify your /etc/hosts file, and last time I checked Windows had a similar file.

In Linux just edit /etc/hosts as root and add the following line.  In Windows it's C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts .  You may have to enable the "Show hidden files" option.  Just using neowin.net didn't work for Firefox, which is why I also included www.neowin.net

74.204.71.246    neowin.net www.neowin.net