PS4 Firmware 1.62

??? I watched 9 episodes of House of Cards this past weekend on Netflix and my audio was working no issues at all.

Double check your center speaker. If it is working also double check it is actually running in 5.1/DTS and not stereo with multi-channel output.

Lots of people have no center channel at all (me included), and the only way we can get Netflix using it is to force 2.0 stereo and then have our audio systems output in multi-channel/dolby pro logic. This is running through HDMI by the way in case you're on optical Larry. PCM selected as well.

We (myself included) know it's the PS4 as the PS3 works fine through the exact same audio system. The topic on the official forums is now 35 pages.

Double check your center speaker. If it is working also double check it is actually running in 5.1/DTS and not stereo with multi-channel output.

Lots of people have no center channel at all (me included), and the only way we can get Netflix using it is to force 2.0 stereo and then have our audio systems output in multi-channel/dolby pro logic. This is running through HDMI by the way in case you're on optical Larry. PCM selected as well.

We (myself included) know it's the PS4 as the PS3 works fine through the exact same audio system. The topic on the official forums is now 35 pages.

while I dont have a PS4... shouldnt bitstream be selected instead of PCM?  if you are using bitstream.. your receiver should decode whatever the format is.  And if its a 5.1 title on Netflix.. it should play accordingly..

Same issue with my Samsung Blu-Ray Player...top of the line POS. 5.1? Forget it...drop out, doesn't work, center channel issues. I still use my PS3 for all media entertainment purposes until I finish my rig for the living room.

while I dont have a PS4... shouldnt bitstream be selected instead of PCM?  if you are using bitstream.. your receiver should decode whatever the format is.  And if its a 5.1 title on Netflix.. it should play accordingly..

PCM is already decoded / Bitstream decodes at the receiver.

Either way should work with most modern receivers.

Same issue with my Samsung Blu-Ray Player...top of the line POS. 5.1? Forget it...drop out, doesn't work, center channel issues. I still use my PS3 for all media entertainment purposes until I finish my rig for the living room.

PCM is already decoded / Bitstream decodes at the receiver.

Either way should work with most modern receivers.

yes.. but perhaps the PS4 is sending the "wrong" pcm signal?  Im trying to figure out why DirtyLarry would get 5.1 but AB wouldnt...

yes.. but perhaps the PS4 is sending the "wrong" pcm signal?  Im trying to figure out why DirtyLarry would get 5.1 but AB wouldnt...

PCM is pretty full proof. It's pulse-code modulation.

I honestly think it has to do with Netflix since its affecting other platforms as well.

PCM is pretty full proof. It's pulse-code modulation.

I honestly think it has to do with Netflix since its affecting other platforms as well.

Just found this in a thread on Neogaf.. AB, try bitstream...

"I've found it works if I set the PS4 to Bitstream and not PCM, if I use PCM then I don't get 5.1 with Netflix."

so maybe its a netflix issue or maybe its a player issue... perhaps you can try bitstream on your samsung bluray player...?

Just found this in a thread on Neogaf.. AB, try bitstream...

"I've found it works if I set the PS4 to Bitstream and not PCM, if I use PCM then I don't get 5.1 with Netflix."

so maybe its a netflix issue or maybe its a player issue... perhaps you can try bitstream on your samsung bluray player...?

That didn't work for me either. I've been pretty vocal about this on GAF if you come across any of my posts or "rants" about it lol.

It's definitely not my audio system, it seems to be an HDMI handshake issue on the PS4. It happens in some games as well, the biggest culprit, NBA, is simply a game I do not own.

That didn't work for me either. I've been pretty vocal about this on GAF if you come across any of my posts or "rants" about it lol.

It's definitely not my audio system, it seems to be an HDMI handshake issue on the PS4. It happens in some games as well, the biggest culprit, NBA, is simply a game I do not own.

but is it random as far as hardware is concerned?  Just seems odd that so many are able to get it to work and vice versa..

but is it random as far as hardware is concerned?  Just seems odd that so many are able to get it to work and vice versa..

It's all over AVSForums as well, so it is affecting a good amount of hardware. I personally have the Panasonic SC-BTT490.

Well I updated to 1.6.1 before checking Netflix out, but watching it right now and I am getting sound out of the center channel, but good call AB, my receiver is outputting it as Neo:6, which apparently is a two channel source that expands to 5 or 6 channels. So it appears you are correct. I do swear it said DTS at some point in time, but I guess I was wrong.

I tried it every which way on my Blu-Ray player personally as I do this stuff for a living - nothing helped except setting the Netflix stream it self to Audio to Stereo output. 

I know it sounds like I'm crying about my BluRay player but it seems to be an issue with other equipment too so I figured it might have bled over to the PS4

I noticed that if I had netflix open I can now load a game and it keeps netflix running. If I then go to close application I get the choice to close either the game or netflix. Has it always been like this? I only noticed yesterday.

So they're pushing out 300+mb updates with no new features?  It is 2014 and Sony have still not heard of deltas?

I have always wondered why sony does this.  Every single update has to be the same giant size everytime because they replace the whole firmware VS just a delta update.   Just curious because i dont really remember on the ps3 but has sony ever released a BIG change patch?  I mean i only remember 300mb patches with 1 or 2 things every couple of months on ps3 and its looking like the same on ps4.  Not that i care cause i dont really use any of the media or play online with my ps4.

I noticed that if I had netflix open I can now load a game and it keeps netflix running. If I then go to close application I get the choice to close either the game or netflix. Has it always been like this? I only noticed yesterday.

Pretty sure it has, 2 games are too intensive, but an app and a game are okay.

I have always wondered why sony does this.  Every single update has to be the same giant size everytime because they replace the whole firmware VS just a delta update.   Just curious because i dont really remember on the ps3 but has sony ever released a BIG change patch?  I mean i only remember 300mb patches with 1 or 2 things every couple of months on ps3 and its looking like the same on ps4.  Not that i care cause i dont really use any of the media or play online with my ps4.

They changed it a few years ago on PS3

I'm sure they'll do the same on PS4.

I also wish PS4 would update to get 3d Blu-ray support.

Zen Pinball (PS4) already has 3d support / enabled with it's most current update.

They changed it a few years ago on PS3

I'm sure they'll do the same on PS4.

Thanks that explains it.  Always patched via USB and they only put full size updates on their website.

I have faith they will do good this time but i just dont remember any exciting patches on ps3.  I mainly remember them removing features like  otheros because some one found an exploit and then spending 2 years wasting tons of money and time on security patches that didnt even help in the least and bricked a lot of consoles.

Thanks that explains it.  Always patched via USB and they only put full size updates on their website.

I have faith they will do good this time but i just dont remember any exciting patches on ps3.  I mainly remember them removing features like  otheros because some one found an exploit and then spending 2 years wasting tons of money and time on security patches that didnt even help in the least and bricked a lot of consoles.

Yeah the overall OS didn't change much in the lifetime of the PS3. The most recent change was probably the Store redesign but that came very late on.

The other big change was the inclusion of in-game XMB. That was in the early days, so if you weren't an early adopter you probably didn't know it was missing.

Yeah the overall OS didn't change much in the lifetime of the PS3. The most recent change was probably the Store redesign but that came very late on.

The other big change was the inclusion of in-game XMB. That was in the early days, so if you weren't an early adopter you probably didn't know it was missing.

Yeah I didnt get a ps3 for about 8 months after launch

I noticed one thing.  When I tried to play the new Game of Thrones season 3 discs in the PS4, it would crash before ever getting to the main menu.  The previews would play, but then just a black screen.  Closing the app didn't work.  Attempting to shut down the machine didn't work.  Turning the power off at the machine didn't work.  The only thing I could do was pull the plug on the device!  After trying three times, I went ahead and just updated.  Everything played fine after that.

PS3 didnt came with Media Center functionality at launch either. The first Update enabled PSN access... Even MPEG/H264 support came later or 1080p DVD playback....

Most features on the PS3 came through updates.

Also the OS itself has been streamlined and improved drastically over its lifetime. To lower its memory footprint and such.

PS3 didnt came with Media Center functionality at launch either. The first Update enabled PSN access... Even MPEG/H264 support came later or 1080p DVD playback....

Most features on the PS3 came through updates.

Also the OS itself has been streamlined and improved drastically over its lifetime. To lower its memory footprint and such.

You have a better memory than I do. I honestly don't remember much about the media centre stuff and even now I don't know a lot about it.

But I also wouldn't consider them exiciting updates either :P That's just me though. The OS stayed relatively the same since launch, especially in regards to capabilities and aesthetics. The limited RAM really hurt them and it was plain to see with the instabilities inside apps or the PS Store. Communiticating with external devices seems to be the one thing they were really good at adding though.