Site (domain) outage update

^ operates equally???  What - are you saying they are not paying attention to the TTL?  What exactly is such a statement suppose to mean?

WHAT I MEAN IS

Happy Birthday, you miserable old fart :p

2nd item I've noticed, the feed thingy might need looking at, my feeds aren't updating

(I think I'm subscribed to neowin.net/news, or something similar)

• Like 2

Well not knowing is the whole point of my post ;)

If nobody addresses the missing details, wrong way to express what is happening then nobody learns anything and the FUD just gets passed on, and everyone is worse for it.

It is one of my pressure points to be sure, it gets me when people pass on info that they have not verified or have no real understanding of the topic to make a sound judgement upon on their own - but not worked up over it, the poster of the info was trying to give out some useful info to be sure.  It could take up to 48 hours for the TTLs to clear - assuming that is what they used for the TTL pointing to the bad ns they put in to get your attention.

Its not this for example "Yep Neowin.net is still down. (Centurystink)"

Centurylink has has the bad ns cached still would be more appropriate description of the problem. 

Neowin is not down, and if you ask the SOA for neowin.net it works just fine - the issue is your ISP dns has cached an entry for the length of its TTL exactly how the system is designed to work ;)  So query the SOA for this record your looking for or wait out the TTL, or contact your ISP and see if they will flush that record for you.. Doubt it ;)

BTW not sure what dns they are using for centurylink - but a query to their name servers shows the correct info

C:\>dig @207.14.235.234 neowin.net NS                                

; <<>> DiG 9.9.4-P1 <<>> @207.14.235.234 neowin.net NS               
; (1 server found)                                                   
;; global options: +cmd                                              
;; Got answer:                                                       
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 51273            
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:                                                
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096                                
;; QUESTION SECTION:                                                 
;neowin.net.                    IN      NS                           

;; ANSWER SECTION:                                                   
neowin.net.             18689   IN      NS      ns1.neowin.net.      
neowin.net.             18689   IN      NS      ns2.neowin.net.      
neowin.net.             18689   IN      NS      ns3.neowin.net.      

;; Query time: 44 msec                                               
;; SERVER: 207.14.235.234#53(207.14.235.234)                         
;; WHEN: Tue Feb 04 08:50:04 Central Standard Time 2014              
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 93                                              

Where 207.14.235.234 is listed on centurylink dns info page

http://www.centurylinkservices.net/ipsupport/dnsinfo.php

dns-auth-3.centurylinkservices.net          

Hello,

He further explains us more completely ignoring his congrads :p

BudMan: Question, do DNS servers completely respect the TTL OR if there are enough requests, check to update itself?

Im excluding all manual help done by a admin and such.

its very likely DNS servers behave differently:

some no-name DNS server:

C:\>nslookup neow.in
Server:  mx-e1.gparent.org
Address:  106.186.17.181

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    neow.in
Addresses:  74.204.71.246, 74.204.71.247, 74.204.71.245

C:\>nslookup www.neowin.net
Server:  mx-e1.gparent.org
Address:  106.186.17.181

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to mx-e1.gparent.org timed-out

vs Google DNS:

C:\>nslookup neow.in
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Name:    neow.in
Addresses:  74.204.71.247, 74.204.71.245, 74.204.71.246

C:\>nslookup www.neowin.net
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Name:    neowin.net
Addresses:  74.204.71.247, 74.204.71.245, 74.204.71.246
Aliases:  www.neowin.net
the 3rd rate DNS server knew about neow.in, but refuse to answer query about www.neowin.net, go figure...

Steve and Site admins,

Notifications in the top right corner... I had notifications then I clicked it so I could be redirected to that specific page but it says not found.

It shows 'neow.in' in the URL instead of neowin.net ... which I was visiting neowin.net.... notification sent me to neow.in but not found ... only shows in URL in location bar.

Thought I let you know.

Steve and Site admins,

Notifications in the top right corner... I had notifications then I clicked it so I could be redirected to that specific page but it says not found.

It shows 'neow.in' in the URL instead of neowin.net ... which I was visiting neowin.net.... notification sent me to neow.in but not found ... only shows in URL in location bar.

Thought I let you know.

When the notification is sent by someone replying to a post (or whatever else the notification is about) it will use whichever domain they're using to access the site with at the time. This will go away once everyone is accessing through neowin.net again.

• Like 1

When the notification is sent by someone replying to a post (or whatever else the notification is about) it will use whichever domain they're using to access the site with at the time. This will go away once everyone is accessing through neowin.net again.

Ok. Thank you.

• Like 1

Anyone else here on BT Infinity still can't access the site through neowin.net? I still have to use neow.in at the moment.

Anyone else here on BT Infinity still can't access the site through neowin.net? I still have to use neow.in at the moment.

It was working earlier for me on BT Broadband, but now I cannot access neowin through neowin.com either. I have to use neow.in

It was working earlier for me on BT Broadband, but now I cannot access neowin through neowin.com either. I have to use neow.in

BT doesn't work for me either but it does if I use Comodo Dragon only because that browser goes through their DNS

All DNS should respect TTL -- if not they are broken!!  You might have some that hold on to records longer than they are suppose too... This is BAD PRACTICE and if you find a dns doing that I would use a different one!

Here is why some are working others are still not.. Depends on where they were in the cycle of the TTL, for some they the cache might of just expired and just grabbed the bad ones ns.yourwhoisisbad.com that was in there 2 seconds before it was updated to the correct ns info.  Now they will cache that for whatever the TTL was on that record.. So lets assume 48 hours.

But another server cache might of expired 2 seconds after the new info was updated and then when the next query came in asking for neowin.net they had to go and look for the NS again and got the correct ones.

If a NS has a entry cached it would never flush that and query again unless it was manually flushed by an admin.  Until the ttl expires it will serve whats in its cache.  Be it gets 1 query a hour or 10000 a second. 

People that have a real problem are ones that are forced to use a proxy, and can not directly query dns - many work locations are like this.  And are at the mercy of what the proxies dns has cached..

Also - Thanks for all the Bday well wishes.. Freaking getting OLD, next year is a big one ;)

Happy birthday, BudMan!

Back to the topic, it's working well for me .... the www.neowin.net domain, that is.

Finally back on, and i must admit the whole episode has been very painful, mainly because i kept clicking on the bookmark as a reflex and being left with disappointment when i realised what i'd done.. I couldn't log in from neow.in

There was no need for anyone to miss out on Neowin if you follow our Twitter or Facebook accounts, that's where we were able to give people updates and a workaround to connect to Neowin.

There was no need for anyone to miss out on Neowin if you follow our Twitter or Facebook accounts, that's where we were able to give people updates and a workaround to connect to Neowin.

*Ahem*Shameless plug*Ahem*

Follow Neowin on FacebookGoogle and Twitter  :shiftyninja: