Fatal marijuana car crashes triple

They drive more cautious because their mind is "blurred" and because their reactions are slower, this does NOT make them safer drivers. Do you know the number one way cops recognize drunk drivers? because they swerve all over the road? no, because they speed and rive recklessly ? no. No because they drive really cautiously and usually slow. 

It's a known fact that reaction speed is severely reduced under cannabis influence, both your actual movement,s but also the time it takes for your brain to process the information on what to do. When your car is moving at 60-80kmh on a normal road, or more on a highway or similar, even the time it takes for a sober person to react is often to slow or barely enough as it actually takes some time between the time your brain registers danger and you hit the brake pedal. Time is distance. 

Stop saying my mind is "blurred" because it isn't. I could execute a full day at work to the same standard, I can play musical instruments at the same caliber, I can play games to the same skill the only difference is that I'm probably searching for snacks a long the way and forgetting what I did 10 minutes ago.

Your talking to me as someone who hasn't touched the stuff, whereas its the other way round. Comparing drink driving to driving while under the influence of cannabis is ridiculous. I understand why people can have a strong negative view against it just because of the nature of the subject. 

You are no way impaired when under the influence of cannabis. Do you see people stumbling all around the street when they're high? No. Do you see people laid in gutter just because they've had one spliff too many? No. They're just walking around to the corner shop with red eyes going to grab a bag of crisps. Its harmless. 

AIUI one of the major swab systems was developed in the UK and is made by Philips, but before such things are used the regulators have to approve them. FCC, FDA etc. The usual alphabet soup.

Cost is also.a factor because 98% of cops are local and locally funded. Absent Federal or State law enforcement grants small communities, which is most of the US, may have trouble paying for them.

Stop saying my mind is "blurred" because it isn't. I could execute a full day at work to the same standard, I can play musical instruments at the same caliber, I can play games to the same skill the only difference is that I'm probably searching for snacks a long the way and forgetting what I did 10 minutes ago.

Your talking to me as someone who hasn't touched the stuff, whereas its the other way round. Comparing drink driving to driving while under the influence of cannabis is ridiculous. I understand why people can have a strong negative view against it just because of the nature of the subject. 

You are no way impaired when under the influence of cannabis. Do you see people stumbling all around the street when they're high? No. Do you see people laid in gutter just because they've had one spliff too many? No. They're just walking around to the corner shop with red eyes going to grab a bag of crisps. Its harmless. 

I agree with you, however, it should be noted that tolerance varies among people.

And, by the same token, nicotine, especially the very first cigarette of the day, especially on an empty stomach, can impair some people's driving ability a lot too. Yet, I've never heard of the anti-smoking while driving movement (except for the second-hand smoke argument). And car manufacturers even put ash trays in their cars :D

Hello,

You are no way impaired when under the influence of cannabis. They're just walking around to the corner shop with red eyes going to grab a bag of crisps. Its harmless.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/impairment :

impairment /im?pair?ment/ (im-p?r?ment) any abnormality of, partial or complete loss of, or loss of the function of, a body part, organ, or system.

A red eye is abnormal.

I, a former smoker, admit that it impairs a few or a lot of my functions. Thats why I would have never taken it and drove.

Hello,

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/impairment :

A red eye is abnormal.

I, a former smoker, admit that it impairs a few or a lot of my functions. Thats why I would have never taken it and drove.

Fair enough, got me on a technicality  :shifty:

I agree with you, however, it should be noted that tolerance varies among people.

And, by the same token, nicotine, especially the very first cigarette of the day, especially on an empty stomach, can impair some people's driving ability a lot too. Yet, I've never heard of the anti-smoking while driving movement (except for the second-hand smoke argument). And car manufacturers even put ash trays in their cars :D

Oh definitely, I come off a bit harsh in my posts above which I didn't want to portray.

I'd definitely not recommend someone who's taking it for the first time to get in a car, but the tolerance and custom to it decreases dramatically as the user gets more familiar with it.

Currently, one of nine drivers involved in fatal crashes would test positive for marijuana

Testing positive does not equate cause for. Given that it stays in your system, smoking the night before it would have no effect on you but tests would still show up in your system days or weeks longer then the effects. Id like to know the details and evidence used forthe study.

How do US police not have road side drug testing kits?  

who says they dont?

i'd also like to know how these people tested positive for being under the influence of marijuana at the time of death.

who says they dont?

i'd also like to know how these people tested positive for being under the influence of marijuana at the time of death.

Blood?

Urine?

Saliva?

Proper on the spot drug tests don't exists, yet.

Of course they do.  I've had lots of them.

Swab your mouth, come back to you within 5 minutes and tell you if you've failed or passed.

Of course they do.  I've had lots of them.

Swab your mouth, come back to you within 5 minutes and tell you if you've failed or passed.

They are far from standard here in the US. There is also no proper test to tell if you are currently high on marijuana as it's stays in your system for days, weeks or longer. Having a basic test show positive results doesn't mean that you are currently under the influence it. Some here have questioned the legality of these tests because of the results don't prove that one is under the influence.

I'm ignorant when it comes to drug detection.  Are they able to reasonably test if a person is currently intoxicated from pot?  If someone smokes that morning, and gets pulled over that evening and is marked positive by this test I'd say its a bull**** test.

I had always heard that most pot tests can only detect if the person had smoked sometime within the past 3 weeks.  But, like I said, I'm ignorant on the issue.  Thanks for any clarifications.

I'm ignorant when it comes to drug detection.  Are they able to reasonably test if a person is currently intoxicated from pot?  If someone smokes that morning, and gets pulled over that evening and is marked positive by this test I'd say its a bull**** test.

I had always heard that most pot tests can only detect if the person had smoked sometime within the past 3 weeks.  But, like I said, I'm ignorant on the issue.  Thanks for any clarifications.

Here is some basic info on types of tests and how long they can stay in your system. Saliva tests are the newest form and can't give the same results as blood, urine and hair. So yes you can smoke in the morning and get tested at night and potentially still test positive that evening even though you are not under the influence.

http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/drugtestguide/drugtestdetection.html

I don't think that breath alcohol tests detect if you're actually intoxicated as such (other indicators - slurring, wobbly on feet, etc are the giveaway), rather they just detect the quantity of alcohol you've currently got in your system. Even if you've drunk that morning and not had any since, the test will still snag you if you're over the limit. I imagine the same concept would work for drug testing - if you blow over the limit, you're nicked, even if you appear perfectly functional. 

Here is some basic info on types of tests and how long they can stay in your system. Saliva tests are the newest form and can't give the same results as blood, urine and hair. So yes you can smoke in the morning and get tested at night and potentially still test positive that evening even though you are not under the influence.

http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/drugtestguide/drugtestdetection.html

If it were in a state that legalized the substance, I think that a good lawyer could make short work of a test that was inaccurate at determining the current state of the driver.

I don't think that breath alcohol tests detect if you're actually intoxicated as such (other indicators - slurring, wobbly on feet, etc are the giveaway), rather they just detect the quantity of alcohol you've currently got in your system. Even if you've drunk that morning and not had any since, the test will still snag you if you're over the limit. I imagine the same concept would work for drug testing - if you blow over the limit, you're nicked, even if you appear perfectly functional. 

But Alcohol (and the tests to detect its presence) has been studied more thoroughly.  It would be an unusual case to have a few drinks in the morning and then later that evening still show up with an elevated alcohol/blood level.  The rate the average person metabolizes the alcohol is well understood, and the test is more indicative of a persons present state.

That hasn't really been developed for Marijuana yet.  The article mudslang links to illustrates the variance pretty well.

All of your posts are spot on. 

Sure, it has different effect to some people, but I have met many that smoke, and ill say this: 

NONE of them act like they are 'drunk', which indeed is a very dangerous thing to do while driving because that DOES cause you to behave irrational like driving recklessly and usually faster (idk why someone would say slower while drunk...what drink are you drinking???). Bam insta-caught. Unless you know better and still pay attention while drunk, because that's what I do as I don't want to be 'caught'. I will do like 0-40 as fast as I can in some quiet areas but then top off at 40 and cruise so I don't get arrested for DUI. But ill definitely whip around, I don't drive drunk all that often because of this, I know I don't think too smart while drinking...

From an honest opinion: I smoke everyday, and drive high everyday. I have been driving for 6 years now, and had 2 accidents. Bet you are instantly saying: yup smoking causes accidents. lol. Guess what, I was 100% sober on both of them. First accident when I had my licence for like 6 months, yup new driver, was looking at my phone, bam. Second accident, had my license for a year after first accident so for about 1.5 years total: was looking off to the side of my vehicle when the guy in front of me slammed his brakes and I hit him. I was 100% sober again. 

*Knock on wood*- Since the second crash, or 4.5y later, smoking everyday, have not had 1 accident. 

Somethings mentioned like it makes you driver slower, is the only fact that is true. I honestly love smoking and driving, it actually makes me MORE aware because i'm just chilling paying attention to the road. I don't get distracted. And let me tell you, when something happens, you get sober real quick. Like the worse that's happened to me is getting pulled over for a tail light out while i'm high, but as soon as blue lights go on, bam not high anymore. Or I have had to swerve for a deer, I get sober real quick.

This dude said it best: cork1958 "This is ONLY coming to light due to the fact that it is legal in some places and they are trying to crack down on it. To easy of a way for states to make extra money off it."

And this: zhiVago "And eight out of nine were sober when they crashed."

To hawkman saying "or influenced by alcohol, speed, crack, medicines and so on." to the above quote: Hey I think this topic and report is about 'Marijuana'...no? They are saying, marijuana is the new #1 driving killer. Forget the alcohol, speed, crack, medicines and so on. Some of us are explaining that this new "#1 drugged driving killer' is so false that its not even funny. That'll be very stupid if they just start coming out with these 'random' tests to see who is high while driving. Because let me tell you, it is NOTHING like being drunk and driving. I've done it and its completely different. And to be put into that category is not very fair. 1 out of 9 is honestly really good in my eyes, I think if they were saying it was 6 out of 9, then yes, that's bad. That's alcohol, 6 out of 9 times. And like others are saying, being tested positive does NOT even prove that you are high on the spot, could be in your system from a few days ago. 

OH and RED EYE? Pffff thats not the 'tell-tale sign' that you are high. I have seen plenty of people with red eyes that I know 100% do not ever smoke. Its called natural, and being tired. You think the clearasil TV 'clear-eye' guy was only talking about MJ? No...its a natural causing bodily reaction.

Make sure to try the substance in question before speaking on it. If you don't wish to try it, okay, but then don't speak on it like you are expert. I can't stand all these prohibitionist about 'MJ is bad! MJ is bad!', when they have never done it in their life. Its like me saying roller coasters are bad, when I have never road one, but I just 'listen' to other roller-coaster haters. 

We have had very limited legal marijuana, mostly limited to your nation, mostly limited to one city there.

More so, people know it's illegal to drive while under the influence, and seeing as it's in a city most people under the influence there don't need to, or want to drive anywhere anyway. 

And as I said, driving slower doesn't make you safer. in some cases it can actually make you more dangerous. especially coupled with slower reaction. Marijuana is a mind altering drug, you should NEVER operate vehicles or other stuff that can kill or maim you or more importantly other people while under the influence of such drugs. Anyone who thinks that's ok, needs a serious look at their life if they think smoking weed is so important to their life they have to do it before driving, if it is, then you ARE an addict. 

Czech has had it legal for quite a while, few more countries joined in the last 5 or so years, and in the UK its degraded to the likes of a traffic violation.

EU has had drugs semi-legal for a lot longer now. Okay public it was never really allowed. But thats here too.

Oh and in my country it's not just Amsterdam.....

And I'm not promoting driving under any influence what so ever. But just from personal experience... Marihuana is just as bad as coffee when it comes to driving.  And the numbers are generally a lot lower here, drugs use, driving under influence....

Never use any substance that will impair your ability to control a motor vehicle. Pot. Alcohol. Prescription medication, etc. 

Driving is a privilege, not a right. Anyone who ignores the rules should have their license revoked.

You are no way impaired when under the influence of cannabis. 

Ridiculous statement. Medically, chemically, and psychologically false. Reaction time, hazard perception, and general awareness is drastically altered by cannabis. You're clueless. Stay off the road.

Ridiculous statement. Medically, chemically, and psychologically false. Reaction time, hazard perception, and general awareness is drastically altered by cannabis. You're clueless. Stay off the road.

Well according to definition yes, like the guy who posted said.

You're basically dismissing anything I say based on your own beliefs without listening anything I have to say and then provide no evidence for your argument. You have elders on the road who are far from being fit to drive and being a hazard and you're worried about some young adult who's got the munchies.

I think fairly on it because personally, I'm as good as a driver with or without cannabis. To be honest, It feels no different than getting into a car when sober. I never think about it differently. I only do it for that reason. For example, If I've been smoking all day and I'm very tired at night or something like that, of course I'm never going to get into the car. To put it into context for you as well, I hate people who even remotely think about drink driving. It's ridiculously dangerous and immature because you're in a different frame of mind and your perception is gone.

i don't smoke it but there needs to be more classification on marijuana,  not just as legal or none legal but also when described on toxicness, Ie a Guy crashed his car today after drinking alcohol, the guy may of had a Smirnoff ice or he may of had three bottles of wine. I suspect this is the case with the above and similar stories, different strains and some are mixed with other stuff.

Well according to definition yes, like the guy who posted said.

You're basically dismissing anything I say based on your own beliefs without listening anything I have to say and then provide no evidence for your argument. You have elders on the road who are far from being fit to drive and being a hazard and you're worried about some young adult who's got the munchies.

I think fairly on it because personally, I'm as good as a driver with or without cannabis. To be honest, It feels no different than getting into a car when sober. I never think about it differently. I only do it for that reason. For example, If I've been smoking all day and I'm very tired at night or something like that, of course I'm never going to get into the car. To put it into context for you as well, I hate people who even remotely think about drink driving. It's ridiculously dangerous and immature because you're in a different frame of mind and your perception is gone.

No, he's saying what he's saying because of medically proven FACTS.  Whilst his personal beliefs are a factor, they're backed up by science.  You, btw, are doing exactly the same. You're dismissing the science based on your personal beliefs.  Beliefs which are proven FALSE by science.

Never ask a drunk person if they're drunk; they'll invariable say no; the same applies to stoners. Your own perceptions of your state of mind are not reliable because you ARE being influenced by an foreign substance.  Doing drugs whilst driving is STUPID and I hope you're caught and your license revoked, permanently.

If people want to use these substances, it's their bodies and their choice; but when it risks others, it needs to stop.