R.I.P. BeLGaRaTh

one of the oldest members too as well (been here since 2001). Rest in peace.

And yes, we need a pinned list of past away members. :(

I made these since a lot of us feel a badge may be appropriate.

Very Light

post-34384-0-47182100-1391829083.png

Somewhat Light

post-34384-0-00566200-1391829091.png

Brighter Colors (SUNSET)

post-34384-0-07685200-1391829085.png

Brighter Colors (SKY)

post-34384-0-01460400-1391840368.png

I made them slightly different than the design style of the current badges for obvious reasons, as they should stand out.

I also decided to make them lighter in color as well to try and say the member "shines on" so to speak. Making them dark and somber just did not seem to be the path to take. Maybe they can be used. Maybe not.

• Like 8

I didn't interact with him a lot, but this is a name I definitely recognize as a long time member. Very sad news.

Also, I will respectfully disagree regarding highlighting members that have been confirmed to have passed away, mainly since it's hard to track down who has passed away unless they had connections to other members. There have been members who have passed away - I can think of one - but we kept the details hidden if we find out about it behind the scenes.

That being said, I will lend my support to this idea if there's enough interest :)

Oh no. :( It's always unfortunate to hear news like this. I really hope he was happy in his last moments. I'll never forget his name. I always found it to be one of the most memorable usernames here. I remember randomly walking around in a local Walmart and having his username pop into my head. Anyway, I'm not trying to make some supernatural claim here. It was just a random thing that happened to me years ago. He was a regular around here and he will not be forgotten. May he rest in peace.

The best thing we can do now is remember him. I enjoyed reading the heartwarming posts from some people here (namely DirtyLarry and Andrew G.).

As for a badge for members that aren't with us anymore, I'm not opposed to it but it will have to be discussed with the higher-ups. Also, the admins get the final say.

Hello,

I made these since a lot of us feel a badge may be appropriate.

Very Light

attachicon.gifbadge-member_RIP_01.png

Somewhat Light

attachicon.gifbadge-member_RIP_02.png

Brighter Colors (SUNSET)

attachicon.gifbadge-member_RIP_03.png

Brighter Colors (SKY)

attachicon.gifbadge-member_RIP_04.png

I made them slightly different than the design style of the current badges for obvious reasons, as they should stand out.

I also decided to make them lighter in color as well to try and say the member "shines on" so to speak. Making them dark and somber just did not seem to be the path to take. Maybe they can be used. Maybe not.

I made a thread about this topic (memorial badges): https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1199699-memorial-badge-for-deceased-members/ Just to push the idea a bit further as I think it would a good touch.

BeLGaRaTh, I didn't know you. But to hear about the passing of a member of the community makes me sad.

My thoughts on the idea of the memorial badge are in the thread riahc3 made. A nice idea, but overall it would be too difficult to follow through with.

I never knew him well, but it's never good to see someone go.

R.I.P. BelGaRaTh.

And my condolences to all of those that his loss weighs upon.

I haven't been able to get to know him, but my prayers are with his family now.

Requiescat in pace BeLGaRaTh

I may have never encountered you before, but since no-one deserves to die and you've made a big impact on this community, you will be remembered and honored with a special Neowin badge. R.I.P. BeLGaRaTh.

Being a new member, I've never come across Belgarath and unfortunately I won't now. From what everyone has written, it seems he was a very respected and kind being - so a downer on my side.

May he rest in peace and condolences to all who knew him.

(...) Also, I will respectfully disagree regarding highlighting members that have been confirmed to have passed away, mainly since it's hard to track down who has passed away unless they had connections to other members. There have been members who have passed away - I can think of one - but we kept the details hidden if we find out about it behind the scenes. (...)

I disagree, i think it's important to know if a member isn't among us anymore; i don't keep contact with members here (no friends here!) but like a community i want to know if a member isn't well or as been "promoted" to a better place than here.

I can remember one day i was in Microsoft's Techdays and i saw a colleague of mine from the days of faculty; i didn't saw him and other peepz for like 6 years so i was very glad to see him fine and well, only to find out that one of our closest friends from those times died in a very tragic fashion; i lost his contact so i didn't know.

Worst felling ever. :cry: :(

That is really sad :( I'm sorry to hear! My condolences to those affected

This got me thinking, our time here is so short and the connections we make on here are very real -- it would be great to have a Neowin meetup IRL wherever people are. I think it could be a really positive thing to help people connect with others whom they interact with on here on a daily basis (especially in the Gamers Hangout). I'd like to think of it as a positive thing that came out of BeLGaRaTh's influence. What do you guys think?

This got me thinking, our time here is so short and the connections we make on here are very real -- it would be great to have a Neowin meetup IRL wherever people are. I think it could be a really positive thing to help people connect with others whom they interact with on here on a daily basis (especially in the Gamers Hangout). I'd like to think of it as a positive thing that came out of BeLGaRaTh's influence. What do you guys think?

I would absolutely do that, and actually already have back in the day when I was on staff. All of the staff would meet up and it was always a good time. Really quite interesting to put a name to the face, and also was funny to see how a few people were nothing at all like their online persona was.

I didn't know him but it always makes you stop and think about things when you learn someone on a community you've frequented for years passes away. It's happened on other forums I use and it's quite sobering sometimes. 

Rest in peace dude. 

Hello,

Back in the day Neowin did yearly meet-ups...