Thoughts: Windows 8.1 Update 1 looks worse than ever before...

I thought this was neat:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/7/5390024/windows-8-1-update-1-boot-to-desktop-ui-changes#214406845

x9eh.jpg

Or would showing desktop apps in the metro switcher be a better idea?

I like this idea too, however, I believe the better solution would be to show desktop apps listed in the metro task switcher. Kb+M users will still need to move their mouse to the edge of the screen anyway, so having the desktop taskbar appearing over Metro apps isn't doing anything for anyone, only adds clutter, and honest to God, looks downright horrible.

• Like 2

This change doesn't do much but add clutter to the screen.  

At least you're finally realizing that not every change is an improvement... ;)

This update is going to be nothing more than a clusterfrak for millions of users. 

I may have missed it. But have you actually explained the rationale behind that thinking?

I may have missed it. But have you actually explained the rationale behind that thinking?

Yes, in my first comment, and reiterated above...

I believe the better solution would be to show desktop apps listed in the metro task switcher. Kb+M users will still need to move their mouse to the edge of the screen anyway, so having the desktop taskbar appearing over Metro apps isn't doing anything for anyone, and only adds clutter, and honest to God, looks downright horrible.

I thought this was neat:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/7/5390024/windows-8-1-update-1-boot-to-desktop-ui-changes#214406845

x9eh.jpg

Or would showing desktop apps in the metro switcher be a better idea?

Desktop apps in the Metro switcher would be my preference. I really don't like the fact that Microsoft seems to be slowly turning Metro into just another flavor of the old desktop.

• Like 2

Desktop apps in the Metro switcher would be my preference. I really don't like the fact that Microsoft seems to be slowly turning Metro into just another flavor of the old desktop.

I agree that having them in the task switcher would be a good idea but at the same time the metro task switcher is limited and needs to be updated. What I mean is that they have to give it the ability to scroll like they did to the metro IE tabs UI. Right now depending on your screen size the task switcher shows you a limited set of apps, open too many and older ones fall off it, same as tabs in IE used to do. If they do that it'd be a big difference and allow for more thinks to be shown and less reasons to have to drop back to the start screen.

• Like 3

It would be way more cool (and provide a better fit for the existing conceptual model) if MS put virtual Desktops in the Metro full-screen switcher. Let the task bar switch between apps and the Metro switcher switch between workspaces.

I could also quote an infinite number of people who dislike windows 8.

And what does that have to do with anything here, or even anything I said in the post you quoted? The thread isn't about that. Go troll elsewhere.

And what does that have to do with anything here, or even anything I said in the post you quoted? The thread isn't about that. Go troll elsewhere.

You just liked a post which said the exact opposite of my post. A chart which showed how everyone must love windows 8 which had NOTHING to do with your thread, and you not only didn't call that trolling, but you clicked the like button.

You just liked a post which said the exact opposite of my post. A chart which showed how everyone must love windows 8 which had NOTHING to do with your thread, and you not only didn't call that trolling, but you clicked the like button.

Hold your horses! The chart is relevant to this thread as it shows that this update probably would be better suited for Windows 9 because not everyone hates the modern interface.

I agree that having them in the task switcher would be a good idea but at the same time the metro task switcher is limited and needs to be updated. What I mean is that they have to give it the ability to scroll like they did to the metro IE tabs UI. Right now depending on your screen size the task switcher shows you a limited set of apps, open too many and older ones fall off it, same as tabs in IE used to do. If they do that it'd be a big difference and allow for more thinks to be shown and less reasons to have to drop back to the start screen.

Just a quick mockup:

post-420821-0-93394800-1391875602.png

Desktop apps in the Metro task switcher with scrollbar. The Scrollbar would appear/disappear as it does elsewhere in the OS.  

Just a quick mockup:

attachicon.gifTask Switcher.png

Desktop apps in the Metro task switcher with scrollbar. The Scrollbar would appear/disappear as it does elsewhere in the OS.  

How would that even work? Is every Desktop app just going to be full-screen? Will only full-screened Desktop apps show up there? What about if the Desktop is snapped to a Metro app? 

I feel like I'm in Bizarro World here if you think that would be a less messy solution...

An who is that going to benefit? Tablet users? Non-touchscreen PC users?

How would that even work? Is every Desktop app just going to be full-screen? Will only full-screened Desktop apps show up there? What about if the Desktop is snapped to a Metro app? 

I feel like I'm in Bizarro World here if you think that would be a less messy solution...

An who is that going to benefit? Tablet users? Non-touchscreen PC users?

Clicking a desktop app would take you back to the desktop, just like clicking on the desktop window would, and bring the app you clicked on front and center. Basically, just like the taskbar would.

It would benefit everyone.

Not sure what you mean by fullscreen. The desktop has always been fullscreen. It would work the same as Windows 8 does now in treating snapped apps.

• Like 3

The nice thing about 8's Modern/Metro design is the simplicity of it. It's a clean interface. With 8.1 Update 1, it imposes desktop design onto the cleanness of Modern/Metro, which makes the whole thing look like **** (at least from the pictures), like they took no thought as to what the end result would look like. I have no issues with integration, between apps and desktop but they completely failed in this attempt.

Clicking a desktop app would take you back to the desktop, just like clicking on the desktop window would, and bring the app you clicked on front and center. Basically, just like the taskbar would.

It would benefit everyone.

Not sure what you mean by fullscreen. The desktop has always been fullscreen. It would work the same as Windows 8 does now in treating snapped apps.

It would have to display windows, not apps on the left-hand side to remotely make sense. And you'd end up with a whole lot of scrolling. But then I don't see why tablet users would be interested in switching to Desktop windows anyway as they are terrible to use with touch. And non-touchscreen PC users would without a doubt prefer the task bar for switching between windows.  

It would have to display windows, not apps on the left-hand side to remotely make sense. And you'd end up with a whole lot of scrolling. But then I don't see why tablet users would be interested in switching to Desktop windows anyway as they are terrible to use with touch. And non-touchscreen PC users would without a doubt prefer the task bar for switching between windows.  

Because, at least for right now, the desktop is still very much a part of the OS. Having the desktop apps listed in the metro switcher would benefit users of all devices, especially those of AIOs and Surface Pros, who would be able to reach up, quickly select the app they want, and get back to work with the Kb+m.

It would also assist in the transition to Metro.

Not everyone who uses Metro is a tablet user. Some stationary system users use a mix, which includes both Metro and desktop.And I would prefer the Metro task switcher to be desktop program aware. To me this leak shows that Microsoft is going the wrong direction, back to the 1990s. If this gets released, Metro will have lost a lot of its uniqueness, and will be on its way to being just another variant of the Win 95 desktop like every other UI Microsoft has released in the last 20 years.And for me that's not a good thing at all - that design was always a necessary evil for me to run the programs I needed.

Why is it so much easier to click on this button at the bottom instead of this thumbnail on the side?

Although for economy of space, allowing the user to use tiles/icons rather than thumbs on the Metro switcher might be a good option.

as to the confusion of mashing two different environments together... the mess and confusion ensued aboard the USS Enterprise...

huh.gif

Because, at least for right now, the desktop is still very much a part of the OS. Having the desktop apps listed in the metro switcher would benefit users of all devices, especially those of AIOs and Surface Pros, who would be able to reach up, quickly select the app they want, and get back to work with the Kb+m.

It would also assist in the transition to Metro.

Disagree. I think the Metro Switcher should be dropped altogether and everything should appear on the taskbar, which is optimised for touch. We've already seen Microsoft accept that the taskbar is better suited for the desktop, with Metro apps now appearing there.

The Metro Switcher is incredibly inefficient - each app is massive, the number of apps is limited, the location of apps changes, etc. I'm not saying that taskbar couldn't be improved to better accommodate the needs of both mouse and keyboard users and touch users but it is certainly the better foundation.

• Like 2

Disagree. I think the Metro Switcher should be dropped altogether and everything should appear on the taskbar, which is optimised for touch. We've already seen Microsoft accept that the taskbar is better suited for the desktop, with Metro apps now appearing there.

The Metro Switcher is incredibly inefficient - each app is massive, the number of apps is limited, the location of apps changes, etc. I'm not saying that taskbar couldn't be improved to better accommodate the needs of both mouse and keyboard users and touch users but it is certainly the better foundation.

I couldn't disagree more. The Metro app switcher is an important part of the Windows 8 design. The taskbar is by no means, touch friendly. The icons in the system tray are too tiny, and so are the jumplists.

• Like 2