Upgraded our set up

PNWDweller

Yesterday, my family went down to our local Best Buy and picked up a new HDTV and upgraded our home theater.

I picked up a Samsung 46" 3D Active LED TV.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/UN46FH6030FXZC

Then of course some 3D glasses (Samsung branded).

I debated on whether or not I wanted to get the Samsung Branded Home Theater in a box kit: 

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HT-F4500/ZA

Or, the Sony Home theater in a box which I did settle on based on my experience with their blu ray quality.

http://store.sony.com/3d-blu-ray-home-theater-with-wi-fi-zid27-BDVE3100/cat-27-catid-All-Home-Theater-Systems

We ended up upgrading from a Vizio 26" LCD TV, and a JVC 5.1 surround sound receiver because it didn't have the optical inputs (And I was only running on two speakers anyway).

Since we got the TV with 3D capabilities, I wanted to take advantage of the 3D format and picked up the theater in a box set up since it had the 3D player as well as a receiver.

After hooking everything up, I must say, it has been a total upgrade visually.  Having the ability to "Convert" anything to 3D was a cool toy to play with to add depth, but not too impressed with that.  We bough the Avatar 3D blu ray (Already own the collectors Blu Ray set as well), so we could push the system to it's limits.  We were not impressed....the colors, picture quality was good as expected, but the depth of the 3D, was blurred as in the background images to a point.  It caused both my wife's and my eyes to strain when trying to focus.   We were not expecting jump out of the TV 3D but turned 3D off pretty fast.  I'm not sure though if it might have been something to do with a Sony output to a Samsung 3D mode type of thing, but I don't think it is.

Anyway, my wife and I have noticed quite a difference in better quality, the sound from the TV Alone is very impressive.  When adding the Surround sound, it does make a difference, but the Sony speakers, I must admit sound like you are listening through a tin can or like the treble is not really there. On the flip side though - the system is NOT afraid to push the bass when called upon and I know we have probably startled the neighbors down stairs from us with the rumbles of my test movies I have been playing with. :)

In any event, we are very pleased with the investment.  In spite of the sound quality which I have managed to tweak some by matching the TV volume (For the treble and stronger center speaker), and the receiver.  And of course, viewing a much larger picture is quite an impressive upgrade on our modest budget.

• 3 weeks later...
jerzdawg

While I understand you not being happy with the htib speakers, I don't suggest you use them with the tv speakers at the same time. By doing so you will certainly "muddy" the surround sound when watching 5.1 content.

As far as the 3d, avatar was neat perfect for me (was also my first 3d at home experience). Take a look at the settings for both the tv and the player and make sure the 3d level wasn't changed, I know some players allow adjustments to be made and could make a movie look worse.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      MediaPortal 2.2.2 / 1.23.0
      by Razvan Serea

MediaPortal is a free and open source media center software, ideal for turning your PC into a very advanced multimedia center, or Home Theater PC, to view all your digital media in your living room. Do you want a Home Theatre with audio streaming throughout your home, a digital photo album to organize all your photos and webcam videos, access to web streams and information like weather, news, sports or Wikipedia, plus a super TiVo? With MediaPortal (MP) you can do all this and more, from the comfort of your sofa. It is the most feature rich Media Center software in the world today, and it's free!

Watch, schedule and record live TV - like a TiVo, but more, and for free! Play videos, movies, DVDs and Blu-ray discs Listen to music and radio Enjoy pictures, home videos or create a slideshow Stream media, radio and TV to any HTPC / PC connected to your network Use a remote to control your HTPC from your couch Check the weather, news, and more Access MediaPortal from the web or mobile device Highlights of this release:

TV/Radio

One-click deletion of grouped recordings: Grouped recordings in the TV recording folder, e.g. series, can now be deleted with one single click instead having to go manually through each individual entry. Radio recordings: You can now skip, pause and resume within a radio recording like in any TV recording Manual schedules: Manually added schedules will now appear in the list of scheduled recordings System

Client wake-up at 2:00: A bug that caused a client to wake up every night was fixed. Party Music Player: The party player is now capable of handling large playlists with more than 1000 entries Extensions

MediaPortal 2.2.2's functionality can be further extended through the installation of additional plugins. The choice of extensions, while currently limited, is steadily growing. Discover what else is available in our Featured Plugins section. Trakt

A new Trakt plugin has been developed with better sync and watched flags management, completely compatible with the new User Management system, allowing different trakt accounts for different users. The development of the plugin has been moved out from the standard Mediaportal 2 development. This will ease development and bug fixes. For details or manual, please refer to the related Wiki section. Webradio

Webradio allows you to play internet radio without having to leave your familiar MP2 user interface.The plugin comes with over 10000's online radio stations from all over the world. Create your own filter from Country, City and any more. Make your own favorites list. Moving from MP1 to MP2

Procedures to install MP2 in parallel to MP1 are described in the Wiki. For all those who would like to move from MP1 to MP2 and preserve their current media organisation, our forum member raffe has created a small tool that will extract information from your MP-TvSeries and MovingPictures databases and picture folders, The tool will leave all your original data untouched, create .nfo files for all your media and copy existing pictures from your MovingPictures and MP-TvSeries to your new MediaPortal 2 media folders. The .nfo files and pictures then allow a smooth and quick import of all your media info into MediaPortal 2. See thee respective forum thread for further details. Full list of changes

You can review all changes by taking a look at changelog: MediaPortal 2.2.2

Download: MediaPortal 2.2.2 | 141.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: MediaPortal 1.23 | 224.0 MB
      View: MediaPortal Homepage |Release Announcement

• By Chris Schroeder
      Sony announces new line of "True" 4K HDR Home Theater projectors
      by Chris Schroeder

Portable projectors are gaining momentum among consumers, with feature-rich projectors like Sony's new Xperia Touch portable projector allowing you to have your display on-the-go and register touch points on things like a table or wall surface. These advances are great, but some people may be wondering when more projectors will begin to offer 4K HDR standards without crushing your budget. It appears that Sony is closing in on a relatively affordable solution.

Announced yesterday via the company's own blog, Sony has revealed a new range of projectors that handle native 4K HDR standards. The VPL series has a wide range of pricing but all feature high-end specs, such as 200,000:1 contrast ratios, 6,000-hour bulb lifespan, 10-bit color depth (meets HDR standards), 200" screen throws, and relatively affordable price points. Sony's VPL series projectors are also quite compact, so you can tuck them away in the corners of your entertainment room rather easily.

Sony has been a big force in pushing for consumer-centric projectors with true 4K support. There are many "4K projectors" out there that are less expensive but sacrifice quality using a display technology called "simulated 4K", which acts similar to "super-sampling" that is found in some games these days but still don't throw an actual native 4K image.

If you're looking for a projector that beats any theater experience (and money is no object), Sony has also announced the VPL-VW885ES. This projector features 2,000 lumens of brightness, infinite dynamic contrast, laser lighting, "whisper-quiet performance", and 20,000 hours of bulb life. The VW885ES also supports dual 18 Gbps HDMI with HDCP 2.2 support. Check out Sony's own blog for more info on the VW885ES.

Sony's new VPL projectors vary in price as follows:

Sony VPL-VW285ES 4K HDR Home Theater Projector: $4,999.99 MSRP Sony VPL-VW385ES 4K HDR Home Theater Projector: $7,999.99 MSRP Sony VPL-VW675ES 4K HDR Home Theater Projector: $14,999.99 MSRP Sony VPL-VW885ES 4K HDR Home Theater Projector: $24,999.99 MSRP Should you be in the market for a 4K projector, Sony's new VPL series does offer you decent options. Of course, it is important to note that you won't be able to watch 4K content if you don't have a 4K Blu-Ray player. If you plan on purchasing a Sony 4K projector, consider bundling your purchase with a Blu-Ray player from Kaleidescope. Bundling the two together through Sony will net you ten UHD Blu-Rays (a $350 value) for free until March 2018.

Source: Sony

• By Copernic
      MediaPortal 1.17.0
      by Razvan Serea

MediaPortal is a free and open source media center software, ideal for turning your PC into a very advanced multimedia center, or Home Theater PC, to view all your digital media in your living room. Do you want a Home Theatre with audio streaming throughout your home, a digital photo album to organize all your photos and webcam videos, access to web streams and information like weather, news, sports or Wikipedia, plus a super TiVo? With MediaPortal (MP) you can do all this and more, from the comfort of your sofa. It is the most feature rich Media Center software in the world today, and it's free!

Watch, schedule and record live TV - like a TiVo, but more, and for free! Play videos, movies, DVDs and Blu-ray discs Listen to music and radio Enjoy pictures, home videos or create a slideshow Stream media, radio and TV to any HTPC / PC connected to your network Use a remote to control your HTPC from your couch Check the weather, news, and more Access MediaPortal from the web or mobile device Highlights of this release:

MyVideos

Fixed some bugs with video views, especially collections, user groups and libraries. Added new properties to display icons of movie awards, extended MPAA text and movie awards text. Skinners now have the possibility to add badges for collections, user groups, new and actualized movies, watched/unwatched movies etc. as overlays in nearly all layouts like thumbnailpanel, filmstrip and coverflow. DefaultWideHD already shows some of the new functions. MyTV

The lists in TV Recordings now show the year of the recording, e.g. 12-03 2016 instead of only 12-03. Added the functionality of moving or deleting channels from/to channel groups inside the GUI via context menu in TV EPG. Fixed an issue that recording files were left open by the Streaming Server MediaPortal General

Fixed the problem of scaling issues when using MP in windowed mode or other resolutions than the standard resolution of 1920x1080. Fixed a proplem with Watchdog crashing on failure when trying to copy TV Server gentle.config as well as Watchdog not grabbing all TV Server configuration files. Fixed an issue with MiniDisplay not showing the correct labels for the actual highlighted button or selected items in a dialog list. MediaInfo

Updated the MediaInfo.dll to version 0.7.95. Download: MediaPortal 1.17.0 | 206.0 MB (Open Source)
      View: MediaPortal Homepage

• By Draconis1
      I've thoroughly searched the internet for a solution and I find no one has the same issues as me. First I should state that I'm not technologically impaired. I've already made sure my drivers are up to date for my MOBO, GPU, OS, and audio hardware, and I have disabled devices shown in playback devices menu.

I know this is an issue related between the Samsung home theater receiver I have and my desktop PC. The home theater works great, and I get surround sound from my cable box and my amazon fireTV box that are both connected to the TV. However when I have my PC connected to the TV via HDMI I get audio ban can only configure a "stereo" setup instead of 5.1 or 7.1 surround. However both my cable box and amazon box were able to configure settings for surround sound through the same HDMI cables and input ports on the TV.

When I plug the receiver directly into the PC via HMDI, no device gets detected whatsoever. When I try to plug it in via AUX then a device is detected and I can configure 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound, but I still get no actual sound from my home theater setup.

So I am sure the receiver works, I am sure the cables work, I am sure the ports work, I am sure the drivers are all up to date, but still in quite a pickle. I need professional help.

The PC specs are:
      ASRock Z170 PRO4 MOBO
      EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 GPU
      Intel Core i5 6600k Quad-Core Prcoessor
      OS is Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

Receiver is a Samsung 5.1CH Blu-ray Home Entertainment System

TV is an LG UHD with LED
    • By Copernic
      MediaPortal 1.14.0
      by Razvan Serea

Watch, schedule and record live TV - like a TiVo, but more, and for free! Play videos, movies, DVDs and Blu-ray discs Listen to music and radio Enjoy pictures, home videos or create a slideshow Stream media, radio and TV to any HTPC / PC connected to your network Use a remote to control your HTPC from your couch Check the weather, news, and more Access MediaPortal from the web or mobile device Download: MediaPortal 1.14.0 | 146.0 MB (Open Source)
      View: MediaPortal Homepage | Release Notes