Is this the year on Linux (the Death of XP, birth of SteamOS)

Will 2014/2015 be the year of Linux?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Will 2014/2015 be the year of Linux?

• 2014 will be the year of Linux
    • 2015 will be the year of Linux
    • 2014 will not be the year of Linux
    • 2015 will not be the year of Linux

I vote you are high.

So What do you think people.

Windows XP will be dead in the water as far as updates go so allot of people with old insecure machines will have 3 options

1) Upgrade PC to run windows 7,8.

2) Keep Windows XP and be insecure.

3) Install Linux.

Another thing happening this year is SteamOS and Steam Machines. As these are built and sold on you have more Linux users added to the Mix. If Game studios do start to take a liking to SteamOS (Personally I think they wont.) this could mean a huge boost in Linux gamers.

So will 2014 possibly 2015 be the year of Linux! (Not talking like 50%+ of all Operating Installs here just a huge jump in numbers.)

You do get the benefit of software support though from an increase in market share. And you probably would see a Pod X3 driver if Linux had significant market share on desktop. As it stands, desktop SW developers have a good reason to not cater to Linux though. Thankfully, there are developers and an ecosystem regardless though

I understand that, but for me the hardware support is there already. Other than the Pod I haven't had any unsupported piece of hardware in years, and I don't even go specifically picking compatible hardware.

The Pod X3 is a relatively old device already, so I'm not so sure about Line6 developing a new driver no matter what happens with Linux's market share.

So basically is market share goes up, nice. If it doesn't, that's ok too.

There will NEVER be a year of Linux, period!

Windows simply dominates the market with OEM computers to much.

Also the fact that there's WAY more of a learning curve between Windows and Linux than Windows 7 to Windows 8, even if Windows 8 sucks, for most people who first see it!

OEM isn't the problem - too many distributions are no-compromise to what their designers want.  Windows, by contrast, is compromise by design.  It may be hated quite a bit BECAUSE it is compromisal in design - however, due to that very nature, it will work when a more *specialized* Linux will not.  (Look at the number of Linux distributions based on Debian alone, and  most are incompatible with each other - let alone with Debian.org's own base.There are more forks of Debian than there are flatware forks!  This is supposed to replace Windows?)

Windows is hated BECAUSE it compromises - however, the very reason it mostly "just works" for most users is due TO that compromising nature - even with Windows 8.

OEM isn't the problem - too many distributions are no-compromise to what their designers want.  Windows, by contrast, is compromise by design.  It may be hated quite a bit BECAUSE it is compromisal in design - however, due to that very nature, it will work when a more *specialized* Linux will not.  (Look at the number of Linux distributions based on Debian alone, and  most are incompatible with each other - let alone with Debian.org's own base.There are more forks of Debian than there are flatware forks!  This is supposed to replace Windows?)

Windows is hated BECAUSE it compromises - however, the very reason it mostly "just works" for most users is due TO that compromising nature - even with Windows 8.

I'd also argue its easier to migrate from windows 7 to Ubuntu than windows anything to 8. For the basics, ubuntu is a very simple and well-explained distro.

I'd also argue its easier to migrate from windows 7 to Ubuntu than windows anything to 8. For the basics, ubuntu is a very simple and well-explained distro.

You can argue that, but it's not true. Upgrading to Windows 8 from 7, Vista or even XP is pretty simple. The only issue with XP or Vista is you'll have to do a clean install. The file/settings transfer wizard works just fine for backing up and restoring your data and preferences.

You can argue that, but it's not true. Upgrading to Windows 8 from 7, Vista or even XP is pretty simple. The only issue with XP or Vista is you'll have to do a clean install. The file/settings transfer wizard works just fine for backing up and restoring your data and preferences.

Correct. migrating from anything datawise is usually a pain. Try fixing a windows UEFI system with a dead HDD...Stupidly simple, UEFI will boot from USB and windows 8 has SLIC2.? which needs no key to register - but I had to make 5 USB sticks before getting it to finally work using rufus. Even windows 7 USB/DVD creator wasn't working due to a problem MS had to know existed with partition tables... but I digress.

I meant moreso in regards of usability than actually migrating your data across platforms. People can easily see the resemblance in pre-8 windows to the functionality of Ubuntu. Windows 8 leaves you scratching your head wondering which key combo you need to memorize or what corner to hover in to find the shutdown menu.