Unable to install programs

Just got windows installed and updated, now when I try to install certain program like Cowon JetAudio, or Wincdemu, they will not install. Jetaudio launches the install shield and the progress bar moves, but then it freezes and eventually fails to install. With Wincdemu, as soon as I click ok to install it says install failed. It does prompt for admin privileges to install. I have run a SFC/scannow and it reports nothing wrong. The HDD is brand new, and SMART status shows that everything is OK... what could be causing this issue?

What version of Windows?

Any security/anti-virus software installed that could be causing a problem?

Can you install other programs, or is it just these you're having problems with?

edit: And something simple, which I'm sure you've tried, but have you tried restarting and trying again?

• Like 1

right click on installer>Run as Admin...have you tried that? I mean, that's if you're running Vista/7/8, with XP, that option isn't there. Knowing which version of windows, though, would help tremendously.

• Like 1

I tagged this thread win7. Yes I have tried restarting windows. I've tried running as admin. I do have kaspersky installed, but it is not blocking the install. As for other programs, so far others have installed fine.

Whoops, didn't notice the tag. My apologies. I'm mobile right now, but that's definitely strange. I will be back at my comp soon, I'll see if I can come up with a solution then. Unless someone beats me to it anyway.

Have you tried running "sfc /scannow"? - you did this :p

Also, check your services and see if Windows Installer service is running and still running after the failure.

It may also help to check "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress" when there are no installations running at all and see if there's a failed one that got stuck.

Few thoughts...  

Check to see if you have the latest Windows installer. ( I actually ran into an issue where the default one failed that was installed with Windows 7 but once I updated it then it installed.)  

Try the program in compatibility mode.... VISTA or XP

Also another thought - Try the following:

Run program in ADVANCED mode where you can specify the directory where it saves it to. 

Also check the properties of the installer ... It is also possible that there may need the "Unblock" and also Check the permissions of the File... it is possible that you may need to add it so that for example it can install for all users. 

In terms of the InstallSheild setup, something is preventing the COM component InstallSheild uses during setup to be registered.

Add the installer to the DEP exclusion list and try again.

edit: corrected atrocious grammar.

In terms of the InstallSheild setup, something is preventing the COM component InstallSheild uses during setup to be registered.

Add the installer the DEP exclusion list and trying again.

Your post got me thinking: maybe he is using EMET and that's causing the issues.

have you checked that all of the .Net features are all up to date too? Edit: EMET may VERY well be causing the problems as well....I hope that's all it is! At the very least....hmm...COMM components...are you sure everything is registered correctly reguarding COMM components? Maybe a rogue DLL that hasn't been registered correctly? I mean I have never had any problems after a clean install, but you never EVER know what might happen....

What is EMET? Also I went ahead and disabled DEP just to rule that out. I have attempted to run the file in compatibility mode, still nothing happens. @Redvamp, it was indeed blocked, I unblocked it but it does nothing, how do I prevent files that I download from being blocked? @Eric, nothing showing in the registry.

Even though you allow the program to install, sometimes these installs need to be ran as an administrator. 

shift + right click on the install

run as Administrator

What is EMET? Also I went ahead and disabled DEP just to rule that out. I have attempted to run the file in compatibility mode, still nothing happens. @Redvamp, it was indeed blocked, I unblocked it but it does nothing, how do I prevent files that I download from being blocked? @Eric, nothing showing in the registry.

This: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2458544 It could cause problems with misbehavior in applications. If you aren't running it, it isn't the problem though ;-)

Have the installer generate a log file and see if that offers more information:

If the installer is MSI (aka Windows Installer) based (which includes modern InstallShield installations):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

If it's an older InstallShield installation:

http://serverfault.com/questions/61883/does-installshield-keep-a-log-during-installation

In my continuing saga of screwed up stuff, I downloaded and installed MWB, but at the end of the install when it is attempting to create the shortcuts in the start menu and desktop, it pops up errors. When I try to run it, I get the message malwarebytes runtime error 372 failed to load control "Webrowser' from ieframe.dll your version of ieframe.dll might be outdated.  Now when I try to launch IE, it loads for a split second,then closes right away. I do believe that IE should be fully up to date.

It might not solve the core issue here, but I like to run portable apps. No footprint on the OS and it's handy to put into my Dropbox so I always an access these apps. Problem with the software? Shift + Del and download it again :)

Make sure your system is fully patched before you run it again, meaning all the windows updates. If that does not work do a chkdsk /f from an admin command prompt restart to check the file system. If that does not work do a sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt.

Have the installer generate a log file and see if that offers more information:

If the installer is MSI (aka Windows Installer) based (which includes modern InstallShield installations):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

If it's an older InstallShield installation:

http://serverfault.com/questions/61883/does-installshield-keep-a-log-during-installation

Tried that, however it does not seem to be generating a log. The only log file I see is one that was successful yesterday.

"I do have kaspersky installed, but it is not blocking the install."

And you know this how?  Have you looked in its logs?  Improperly configured/too restrictive AV can cause all kinds of issues, blocking access to temp folder, etc that can hang installs.

I would do uninstall it and see if your problem persist.  Don't you have another thread where IE won't even run?

Was also about to suggest un-installing your Anti-Virus as a last thing to try, because I'm all out of ideas.

I've experienced issues in the past using BitDefender and Visual Studio. It's never detected anything, it just prevented the compiler from working with an error code.