Unable to install programs

Here's something I whipped up on a quick google search, may help: http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/archives/1823-Windows-7-fix-for-crashing-Windows-Installer-errors-cannot-install-or-uninstall-MSI-packages.html , but it says MSI packages, not sure if that's what you're trying to install or if the installer(s) you try to use extract an MSI then install, or not...sorry it took me so long to reply, haven't been feeling well. :/

Fire-up "Event Viewer" and check the "Windows Logs"... You get more detailed info why it failed.

I would second this. the first thing you want to check if an instal fails and does not provide its own log is the event viewer.

Also are all of these installs MSI files or is there a mix. MSI files require more services to be running in order for them to install properly

well if your saying IE will not even load correctly - I would run a repair

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

How to repair or reinstall Internet Explorer in Windows

Then once you have IE working, try to reinstall the software

Did that, still not able to install/run, and IE stills behaves the same way it did before, opening for a second or two and closing.

Fire-up "Event Viewer" and check the "Windows Logs"... You get more detailed info why it failed.

Does not show anything related to the installer failing, I do see this warning:

Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

Not sure what that means.

It also seems that nothing that I install can create links in the start menu and/or the desktop, that is when I receive the error messages.

you sure its not your AV saying - close IE.. In the other thread what does your windows log show.  I would prob get a mod to merge these - these are the same issue.

In my continuing saga of screwed up stuff, I downloaded and installed MWB, but at the end of the install when it is attempting to create the shortcuts in the start menu and desktop, it pops up errors. When I try to run it, I get the message malwarebytes runtime error 372 failed to load control "Webrowser' from ieframe.dll your version of ieframe.dll might be outdated.  Now when I try to launch IE, it loads for a split second,then closes right away. I do believe that IE should be fully up to date.

You sure you dont already have malware?  There is a lot of malware out there that will prevent from loading/installing antimalware programs.  I also recently removed spyware that would close IE at random.

I would hook up the HD to another system if you an and run a can on it before you do anything else.  If it is malware causing the problem, then it needs to be cleaned or else you will never get this fixed.

Just a thought

I would also check to see if you have a restore point before this happened.

Given, entries aren't being created for Desktop/Start Menu, what's the permissions on C:\ProgramData, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu, C:\Users, C:\Users\[username], C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Also, to rule out a corrupt user profile, did you try installing applications using another user profile? 

Had not thought about the other profile, I'll try that. @BudMan, I have completely shut down the A/V program and it still will not install, so I'm relatively sure that it is not caused by the A/V. @techback, I'm not sure of anything right now! The image I used to install came from MSDN, and I have installed from it before without issue. I have run chkdsk/f, I have run sfc/scannow, the last time I did sfc it reported corrupted files, and fixed them. Chkdsk found nothing wrong with the HDD @arachnid, the only update I have hidden is AMD SATA driver that causes the system to BSOD each time after it is installed.

So when you say you just installed windows - so you installed stuff before the issue, for example your AV..  So how are you not sure your not infected?  Have you tweaked anything, shutting down services you felt where not needed, etc?  Ran any registry cleaners, etc.

Or is this a clean install? If its its clean - then I have to say this machine has issues, ram or something.  What was on this machine before you did your clean install?  Or is this new build?

So when you say you just installed windows - so you installed stuff before the issue, for example your AV..  So how are you not sure your not infected?  Have you tweaked anything, shutting down services you felt where not needed, etc?  Ran any registry cleaners, etc.

Or is this a clean install? If its its clean - then I have to say this machine has issues, ram or something.  What was on this machine before you did your clean install?  Or is this new build?

I've only shut down windows firewall (set to manual, not disabled), so it does not conflict with Kaspersky. Never run registry cleaners. I've ran memcheck and the RAM is fine, the PSU is brand new, the windows HDD is new.

At this point you should do a reinstall if you can't fix the issue or narrow it down to a specific cause: it is a new installation anyway. My guess is that something was broken during the update process.

Delete all installShield temporary folders you find. They are usually hidden in your Program Files/x86.

Clean your disk with CCleaner and clean up parts like Explorer MRU.

IMO you have corrupted registry entries of InstallShield / Windows Installer.

Given, entries aren't being created for Desktop/Start Menu, what's the permissions on C:\ProgramData, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu, C:\Users, C:\Users\[username], C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Also, to rule out a corrupt user profile, did you try installing applications using another user profile? 

Just tried that, no change. :( I think I'll reinstall windows. Also I grabbed process explorer, and watched when I attempted to install, nothing installshield shows up as a running process.

Another oddity: When I checked the security tab of the HDD's properties it showed the owner listed as Trusted Installer, not my name, I changed that, but not sure what (if any) difference it will make.

"it showed the owner listed as Trusted Installer, not my name, I changed that, but not sure what (if any) difference it will make."

So when asked you if this was a "clean" install - why did you not mention that?

Start OVER!!  This time don't change anything from the default.

"it showed the owner listed as Trusted Installer, not my name, I changed that, but not sure what (if any) difference it will make."

So when asked you if this was a "clean" install - why did you not mention that?

Start OVER!!  This time don't change anything from the default.

I am not sure what you mean, this was a clean install, I just now changed the ownership... I will start over I was just wanting to know what might contributed to this problem.