WZOR Talks About Windows (Codename) 9, Is a DP Imminent?

I can't see Microsoft offering Win9 for free, unless it was subsidized to Hell and back. Win8.1 users, maybe, but not XP, Vista, and 7 users. No way.

Yeah, I know it sounds unbelievable, but that's what I heard from MS people (or otherwise I wouldn't even mention this rumor). :)

Then I think you will stay using Win9, if the following rumor is real:

Rumor 1(most likely): All legit win8 can upgrade to win9 free.

Rumor 2(undecided): All legit Windows (i.e. including XP) can upgrade to win9 free.

... it's a rumor, so cross your fingers and take it with a spoonful of salt. :)

It seems crazy, but it wouldn't shock me if this came to be. Microsoft looks to be seriously repositioning themselves to be a device OEM akin to Apple. If you're making a premium on the hardware the OS becomes a free throw in (just like Apple)...

The only interesting tidbit is how does MS plan to deal with OEM if this were to be the case... Are they hoping to use them as ad machines? Or are they expecting them to be divested in Windows by the time Windows 9 hits? They could also just throw the OEMs a bone with it being free for them too as a way of marketing their services and ultimately consolidating around their own hardware.

I see this happening... If not with Windows 9 then it would be hitting with 10 for sure. Unless MS pulls back on its push to become an OEM.

It seems crazy, but it wouldn't shock me if this came to be. Microsoft looks to be seriously repositioning themselves to be a device OEM akin to Apple. If you're making a premium on the hardware the OS becomes a free throw in (just like Apple)...

The only interesting tidbit is how does MS plan to deal with OEM if this were to be the case... Are they hoping to use them as ad machines? Or are they expecting them to be divested in Windows by the time Windows 9 hits? They could also just throw the OEMs a bone with it being free for them too as a way of marketing their services and ultimately consolidating around their own hardware.

I see this happening... If not with Windows 9 then it would be hitting with 10 for sure. Unless MS pulls back on its push to become an OEM.

In this case what happens to people wishing to build their owns pcs, can they claim a free Windows dvd too?

In this case what happens to people wishing to build their owns pcs, can they claim a free Windows dvd too?

I guess it's way too early to think about these things, we don't even know what would eventually come out next year.

Anyway, for win7 to win8 upgrade, you pay for the upgrade fee, provide a legit win7 key, and get a win8 key and a download link, you would need to pay FedEx cost if you also want the real plastic. :)

I wouldnt mind if they ran Windows 365 like Adobe currently run Adobe Creative Cloud.
What I mean by that is you pay the subscription fee, say, $20 a year (ongoing). The subscription works much like the Adobe CC one. You pay, you get automatic updates and new features as they become available, but thats where it stops. 
Everything else windows wise runs as normal, connected online or not. Basically the whole OS would be on your local machine with updates pushed out as they are done, not like today when you got 'patch tuesday'. 
I think that would be more realistic then having the OS and everything run on Microsoft's cloud. 

I wouldnt mind if they ran Windows 365 like Adobe currently run Adobe Creative Cloud.

What I mean by that is you pay the subscription fee, say, $20 a year (ongoing). The subscription works much like the Adobe CC one. You pay, you get automatic updates and new features as they become available, but thats where it stops. 

Everything else windows wise runs as normal, connected online or not. Basically the whole OS would be on your local machine with updates pushed out as they are done, not like today when you got 'patch tuesday'. 

I think that would be more realistic then having the OS and everything run on Microsoft's cloud. 

I'm pretty sure that's how Windows 365 will work, just like Office 365. But I guess the updates will still be released only on patch Tuesday, that's better.

Patch Tuesday is a necessity. Businesses can't run while patches are pushed out left and right. They need to plan for that stuff.  

• Like 2

They should then have patches pushed out more than just monthly. It leads to vulnerabilities not being patched while waiting for the next patch day to come along.
Thats why Windows 365 needs to be able to do those updates without the need of a system reboot, therefore they can simply patch the OS as a background task as its released. 
Ideally that is how it should be anyway :)

They should then have patches pushed out more than just monthly. It leads to vulnerabilities not being patched while waiting for the next patch day to come along.

Thats why Windows 365 needs to be able to do those updates without the need of a system reboot, therefore they can simply patch the OS as a background task as its released. 

Ideally that is how it should be anyway :)

You just can't patch the OS in the background, vulnerabilities exist in system-crucial parts of the OS! Chances of a vulnerability being exploited before patch Tuesday are small, if there are active exploits, they offer a special update as soon as it's done.

Patch Tuesday is indeed something they can't take away without replacing it with something else, and random releasing patches isn't "something else". However, now Modern apps are coming to the desktop, developers can use the Modern apps to develop for the desktop instead of the desktop environment itselfs. What would we end up with? A central updating system (Windows Store) for apps, developers would be able to target Windows, Windows RT, Windows Phone and Xbox and it would make everyones life easier. I hope developers are going to take that opportunity.

You just can't patch the OS in the background, vulnerabilities exist in system-crucial parts of the OS! 

So why can't Microsoft build the OS so that it CAN be done? Thats what im saying. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that Microsoft can't build Windows 9 so that patching can be done in the background, even for system crucial parts of the OS. 

If we are to take the Mary Joe foley rumors, Windows 9 is April of 2015 if not later. Personally, i'd agree with most of the posters here, its likely Windows 8.1 Update 2, as this is where the start menu makes its return.

Office 2013 Update 1? That isn't the 2013 SP1, right? Also: Office apps are in RTM too! :)

I think it is SP1, considering SP1 just got released and "Update 1" is already listed as RTM...

Actually when I saw the pic, my guess(it's only my guess) was:

-Base From Update ------------------------

Windows 9      Beta

Windows Threshold

Preview Release blah blah ....

:)

Interesting stuff either way, so far all I expect is a update 2 for 8.1 later this year and Windows 9 for Spring 2015.