Windows 8.x is Microsoft's second fastest selling OS ever

Those numbers start getting tricky when you factor in Volume Licences.

you missed my post above. this figure doesn't include VL,only oem+upgrades.

Microsoft separates windows revenues in their earnings now, one is OEM,and one is PRO. These windows numbers are for OEM. we don't know the combined number with PRO,but its much greater than 200 million.

I'm sorry, but this nonsense is utter horseploppy.

When win95 was released, people were lined up around the block, all over the place.

About the only os that did worse than the 8s, was vista.

people don't line up around the block for desktop operating systems anymore. I don't even think XP got that kind of reception.

The only thing that results in people lining up are new devices like smartphones, especially iPhones.

Windows 8 tablets would also be a license wouldn't they? So any Surfaces, or other 8 based tablets would have numbers.  Windows 7 was never really pushed on tablets.. yet is close to a 2:1 of sales.

It means everything, if you think selling an OEM license isn't a sale then I want to live where you live if they are free :p

There's also a difference in wording to take into account, Microsoft could have said they have shipped 200 million licenses (totally different thing) but they said they've sold 200 million licenses.

How often do we hear Apple, Samsung  or Nokia announcing they have shipped x million devices, totally different thing if they are indeed sitting on store shelves or in warehouses unsold ;)

Uhm.. microsoft SELLS the licenses to the OEMs... the OEM isn't necessarily selling the product though.

with all the OEMs selling system installed with Win8/8.1 is it any wonder? I'm playing the devils advocate on this in that, when you buy a new system you got Windows 8/8.1

But OEMs have bought OEM versions as I'm sure they pre install it on their PC's for sale..be it desktop or laptop. So there's a majority of the sales. the OEMs bought the licenses and preinstall it on PC's and laptops that haven't sold yet.

so Win 8 isn't doing as well as some may think since we've had many news releases how PC's sales are down... 

Uhm.. microsoft SELLS the licenses to the OEMs... the OEM isn't necessarily selling the product though.

Apple and Google don't even sell retail copies of their OS. Google is OEM-only and OS X is now a free upgrade, so their sales are zero?

• Like 3

Windows 8 tablets would also be a license wouldn't they? So any Surfaces, or other 8 based tablets would have numbers.  Windows 7 was never really pushed on tablets.. yet is close to a 2:1 of sales.

Yeah its just terrible.

Apple and Google don't even sell retail copies of their OS. Google is OEM-only and OS X is now a free upgrade, so their sales are zero?

They do sell directly (Google does the nexus on their site) apple does sales directly too.

Yeah its just terrible.

I wouldn't say "terrible" more of a.. it has a better shot at sales than 7 does.. why isn't it taking off? 

I wouldn't say "terrible" more of a.. it has a better shot at sales than 7 does.. why isn't it taking off?

Why would you say it has a better shot at sales than 7? Especially considering the pc market decline that began shortly before 8 was even released.

And it still counts as a sale in MSFT's books.

They do sell directly (Google does the nexus on their site) apple does sales directly too.

No, they don't. The Nexus is hardware that has the OS installed on it, same as the iWhatever and Mac. Same as Windows OEM PCs.

Why would you say it has a better shot at sales than 7? Especially considering the pc market decline that began shortly before 8 was even released.

But is it not the rise of the tablet and mobile market? Not the rise of touch enabled devices?

But is it not the rise of the tablet and mobile market? Not the rise of touch enabled devices?

I'm not sure what you mean.

The rise of tablets and smartphones are the fairly likely causes of the pc market decline. More people can eliminate the need for a desktop or hold on to their existing pc a lot longer then in the past.

Touch enabled devices such as laptops and desktop monitors don't remove that idea.

so windows 8 is 20million ahead of windows vista.... says it all really.

Vista #2

Win 8 is 20 million ahead 4 months earlier than Vista.

Win 8 - 200 million in 15 months

Vista - 180 in 19 months

I made a mistake in my original post and said 18 months for Win 8, but it's actually been on sale for 15 months.

Can we ever have a Windows 8 thread that isn't over run by trolls looking for a cheap shot at the OS? 

You can hate all you want, but MSFT has no plans to back away from the Metro UI, so can't we just get over it already? 

I can accept these statistics.  The desktop area of Windows 8 is a much better experience than Windows 7 IMO.  Windows 8 + Start8 is much better than Windows 7 IMO.

MS just needs to do the right thing, the SIMPLEST THING:  provide the classic start menu and provide options (either GPO, sysprep, control panel, or registry).

You guys cannot deny that if MS did this, then it would be Windows 7 v2.

People that love Windows 8 the way it is can continue using it like it is, but people that prefer the Windows 7 style get AN OPTION to do so and NEVER see metro.  Everybody wins if MS did this.

So? same thing happened with Windows 7.

Changes to the way Microsoft licenses Windows to OEMs pushes this number up artificially...

The Windows license is now required to be affixed into the computer BIOS during manufacturing. Compared to previously being done only at shipping. Previously OEM had the flexibility to have machines built, but not licensed if they hadn't yet shipped them or later decided to scrap them.

This also leads to organizations that are purchasing and installing Windows 7 on machines having the Windows 8 license purchased and activated in the BIOS.

I would argue the metric isn't fairly compatible between releases anymore due to changes such as these.

I am pretty sure my Dell system bought near launch of Windows Vista had this bios SLIC stuff.

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS#SLIC

This stuff is not new for Windows 8.

• 1 month later...

Overrated:

XP, 7

Underrated:

Vista, 8

I don't understand why the general public likes taking on revolutionary releases like Vista and 8? Vista was the first modern Windows. XP was nowhere near as revolutionary, it was just a pollished Windows 2000 with some feautures from 98/Me and a Fisher Price skin and icons. By 2003 it looked obsolete compared to the same era Mac OS X. And 8 is even more revolutionary than Vista was. :)