What's the point of aliases in outlook.com?

Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong category; but what's the point with having aliases in your main email in Outlook.com?

I used to have another email account linked to my main account (when Microsoft supported that), which I used, for example, to sign up for forums - much like this one! - because I never knew if I would be spammed to death from that or not ....turns out my linked account started to get a number of spam emails.

So I used the linked account for anything other than private stuff; so it acted basically as my spam account, whereas my main email account never got spam.

Then Microsoft took away the option of having linked accounts (if anyone could explain that to me in layman terms, I would highly appreciate it - I know they stated that it had something to do with security, but if it had something to do with security then surely they must have know about it from the start? Start being when they introduced linked accounts).

Now I have my main account, which sadly occasionally gets spam now (which I absolutely hate) and then there's my spam account. But I wonder if it would make sense to make the spam account an alias?

Wouldn't I see the number of the spam emails in my main accounts spam folder?

5 answers to this question

Alias are basically a way to create spam addresses without having to create full accounts. You can create and delete them much easier than a full account, and it doesn't requite signing in and out to view it / your main account. That isn't their exact use but what a lot of people use them for.

Outlook is sadly limited to 15 alias addresses (5 per year), but GMail has 30 IIRC, which is much more useful. The common practise is to sign up with the name of the site in the alias so you'll know who leaked your details if spam starts arriving at the address.

With Outlook alias you can direct the mail to any folder you like or set rules to move them to a folder depending on sender, content etc. Creating an alias won't reduce the chance of spam, unfortunately you're always going to get some, even with a "private" email address. Creating the alias inside your main account will certainly be easiser and quicker to manage though.

Linking was disabled because it was an easy way to hijack accounts on Outlook.

When you create an alias, you will also want to create a sorting rule with the Outlook.com settings that sends any mail that is coming to the alias account into a folder that you created on the main page.

I have an alias I created to use for things like forum registrations and then I have others for say financial things, or family members, etc. So I created folders on the main page of Outlook with the name of each alias and then created sorting rules for each that meant that any incoming mail being sent to an alias gets directed to that folder. It works fine for me and any spam goes into that folder and not my main Inbox.

Outlook is sadly limited to 5 alias addresses, but GMail has 30 IIRC, which is much more useful. The common practise is to sign up with the name of the site in the alias so you'll know who leaked your details if spam starts arriving at the address.

The limit is actually 15 alias addresses, its just that you are only able to create 5 of them each year. Weird rule, but there must be some security concern tied to it.

Also, you can still add email accounts to Outlook.com that are not counted against that alias limit. At least the option is still there on my account. I currently have 5 alias addresses and then 3 more that are from other accounts.

You can use alias for newsletters, or whatever you use for.... which you can separate the messages between the email addresses or depends on the rules you created based on the keywords, etc.

The limit is actually 15 alias addresses, its just that you are only able to create 5 of them each year. Weird rule, but there must be some security concern tied to it.

Also, you can still add email accounts to Outlook.com that are not counted against that alias limit. At least the option is still there on my account. I currently have 5 alias addresses and then 3 more that are from other accounts.

Ah ok. They really need to work on that interface. There isn't even a notification to let you know when the limit is reset. I had to keep checking randomly when I could create the next one over and over again for months (N)

As for the reason, I believe they just don't want people to get into bad habits of creating addresses for everything and to actually manage their email properly.

You can still connect accounts in Outlook IIRC, but you are no longer able to switch between them without having to log in again. It used to be a drop down option under the profile.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Firefox 81 will come with new Alpenglow theme
      by Paul Hill

If you’re a fan of the theming used by Mozilla for its Firefox range of products, you’ll like Firefox 81 when it comes out in the next several weeks. With Firefox 81, users will be able to choose the Alpenglow theme which uses purples and oranges predominantly.

The new theme will be accessible to users from the about: addons, about:welcome, and the Customise UI menus alongside the Automatic, Light, and Dark themes that have been available to pick from for a long time already. The new theme doesn’t offer any practical benefits but if you’re a fan of the aesthetics in the new Firefox mobile browser on Android, you’ll probably be a fan of this theme too.

In its Firefox Nightly News post, Mozilla also revealed that Nightly builds now ship with easier access to search engine one-offs and @aliases. A bug report opened three months ago suggested that one-off searches should be easier to discover.

It’s not clear when the new search engine update will finally make it to the stable Firefox branch but users should expect the new Alpenglow theme in Firefox 81 which comes out in September.

• By indospot
      Outlook on the web is getting text predictions
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft's Outlook e-mail service is getting a couple of major features this month, according to the company's feature roadmap for Microsoft 365 (via Windows Latest). The first of those features is text predictions, which is pretty much what it sounds like. Outlook will be able to guess the rest of a word or sentence based on what you're typing, and users can press the Tab key to automatically enter the predicted text. A separate support document details how the feature can be used.

If that sounds familiar, that's because it's the same feature that Google rolled out to Gmail two years ago under the name Smart Compose. Gmail's feature equivalent has actually gone past the web version of the service, and made its way to mobile devices a few months later.

The other important addition is a "Send later" feature, which lets users schedule when they want a specific message to be sent. This can be useful if you don't want people to know you're sending e-mails in the middle of the night, for example. This capability has also been a part of Google's e-mail service for some time, so it's good that Microsoft is matching it.

Looking at the roadmap, there are a few other features coming to Outlook this month. Suggested replies are expanding to more European countries with support for French and Italian, and the Microsoft To Do integration is getting some improvements with support for rich text formatting. Outlook for Windows is also getting a notable new feature - the ability to save app settings to the cloud so they sync across devices.

• By indospot
      November updates to Microsoft 365 include dark mode for OneNote 2016 and more
      by João Carrasqueira

We're nearing the end of the month, and that means it's time for Microsoft to once again highlight the changes made to its Microsoft 365 products over the past few weeks. There actually wasn't a blog post for October, so this is the first time we're getting a feature roundup of this kind in a couple of months.

Many of the changes in this month's updates were actually announced at Ignite earlier in the month. For example, OneNote 2016 has been brought back to life, and it's now getting a new dark mode that's already available for all Office 365 subscribers. Another previously announced feature is Sheet View in Excel, which lets users filter and sort lists in spreadsheets without affecting other users in real-time co-authoring.

One thing that's new is that users who create quizzes using Microsoft Forms can now allow respondents to upload files. Microsoft is also announcing an upcoming Outlook.com integration with Sticky Notes, which will let users see their notes in their inbox. This will be rolling out to everyone next month.

For IT managers, there are other updates this month, but they were also announced back at Ignite. These include a new Endpoint Manager, which brings together features from Intune and System Center Configuration Manager (ConfigMgr). Microsoft has also made Intune licensing available to ConfigMgr customers. There's a new Productivity Score feature that lets organizations get insights into how productive its teams are and what factors might be affecting productivity.

Finally, Microsoft is announcing that Cloud App Security and Azure Advanced Threat Protection are now available for U.S. Government GCC High customers, bringing additional security capabilities to the public sector.

• By indospot
      Microsoft is testing Gmail integration in Outlook on the web
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft seems to be testing a new integration in Outlook.com which will bring Google services into the experience. The capability was first spotted by Twitter user Florian B, who pointed out that not only is it possible to add a Gmail e-mail inbox, but you can also attach files from Google Drive into e-mail messages, as well as access your Google Calendar on Outlook.com.

As it stands, the feature seems to be very limited in terms of availability, and it doesn't seem to be available for us just yet. This might be because it's still in early testing, as Florian points out that switching between Outlook and Gmail accounts refreshes the entire page, and you also can't add more than one Google account (via The Verge).

Otherwise, the integration seems to be much like what you find in the Outlook apps, which already let you manage accounts from a multitude of services. The Mail and Calendar apps on Windows 10 can also integrate e-mail and calendar from Google, but you can't attach Google Drive files as easily, so this could be an improvement for desktop users.

It's currently unknown when the feature will be more widely available, but we've reached out to Microsoft for more information, and we'll update this article if there's anything new.

• By indospot
      Outlook on the web can now show your calendar and tasks next to your inbox
      by João Carrasqueira

The web version of Microsoft's Outlook service has been updated recently to add a new capability, which lets users view their calendar or tasks from the To Do service next to their e-mail inbox. Until now, the Outlook inbox had links to both calendar and To Do services, but they would open in a different page, taking users away from the inbox.

As seen in the image above, the integration can be accessed through the calendar icon on the top menu bar, next to the Skype button. In this split view, the calendar can only be seen in a weekly or daily view, but you can still view and create new events.

The Tasks view also has limited functionality, but it can work in a pinch, You can also drag e-mails from the inbox into the task list to create a new task, which will include a link to the message itself so you can see it later.

In addition to this change, Microsoft recently added the ability to use different themes while in dark mode, and there have been minor tweaks to the look of the page, such as a redesigned "New Message" button.