hdca18

This figure is not surprising at all. The fact that U.S ranks high up there on literary rate (reading and writing), does not necessarily mean the majority of the general public is educated beyond a certain level. I.E., you should expect to find a low number of people who know the answers to such questions, in a very large country, with such a wide range of social equality, mainly economic equality.

Next..

DocM

This figure is not surprising at all. The fact that U.S ranks high up there on literary rate (reading and writing), does not necessarily mean the majority of the general public is educated beyond a certain level. I.E., you should expect to find a low number of people who know the answers to such questions, in a very large country, with such a wide range of social equality, mainly economic equality.

Next..

Almost 90% of Americans think the KJV Bible is the original and unaltered work of God.

B.S. For over a decade Gallup has run the largest poll on the subject, and they report numbers hovering around 30%.
chrisj1968

and these people are allowed to vote? now is it any wonder why our country is so jacked up?

• Like 2
+JHBrown

You must not have paid much attention in schools earlier than Junior High/High then.....my nephews (neither of which have even made it to Junior High yet) know the Earth revolves around the Sun. It's something that I honestly cannot remember a time that I didn't personally know it to be true. It's taught in Elementary schools and is so commonly mentioned in the years after that, that it would be almost impossible to not know it unless you went to some really crummy K-12 schools.

I went to an excellent private school from K-12. So save the crummy school comments for someone else. However, you are correct about me not paying attention in school. I've been a heartbreaker and troublemaker since Kindergarten. Two degrees later, not much has changed.
+Raze

and these people are allowed to vote? now is it any wonder why our country is so jacked up?

You're right, the one person one vote concept is just so wrong.  Lets limit those who can vote. Who shall we start with?  How about you?    /s

KingCracker

You're right, the one person one vote concept is just so wrong.  Lets limit those who can vote. Who shall we start with?  How about you?

How about illegals and dead people. 

+Raze

How about illegals and dead people. 

Lets see can they legally vote?  Nope.   But, of course, it happens.  Such are the risks we are exposed to in a free society.

KingCracker

Lets see can they legally vote?  Nope.   But, of course, it happens.  Such are the risks we are exposed to in a free society.

Voter ID.

chrisj1968

You're right, the one person one vote concept is just so wrong.  Lets limit those who can vote. Who shall we start with?  How about you?

:rolleyes: you have to do better then that insult me. is that the best you can do?

+Raze

:rolleyes: you have to do better then that insult me. is that the best you can do?

lol...An insult?  Better grow a thicker skin.  I was being sarcastic.   Here I'll edit it to make you feel better.   :rolleyes:

• Like 1
Rohdekill

I'd like to know how this survey was conducted.  If you send me a link or pop up a survey on my browser, I intentionally give the most insane answers intentionally just to throw off their numbers.

dvb2000

Fewer than half (48 percent) knew that human beings evolved from earlier species of animals.

Assuming that the evolutionists are correct, then that 48% would be right.

T3X4S

Forget public schools - when many private schools are faith based - they are teaching bogus crap as well.

My niece and nephew both attend a really nice private school - Liberty Christian, really respected.  I will sometimes help my niece with her work (nephew too young, his stuff is really basic).

I can tell you at least 1x a week do I see her curriculum and somewhere it will say "..because thats the way god made it..." or something close to that.

For christmas I bought them a microscope/science kit.  So they could begin to see the greatness of science, and that there are many things out there that we dont have answers for, and never accept the fallacious argument from ignorance "well I dont know the answer, must be god !"

Yes i purposely didnt capitalize things... :devil:

And what is the cost of all this worldly unbiased knowledge ?  $1000/month - per kid...  one is 9 years old, the other 5.

I hope they follow their nerdy uncle, and search for their own answers....

• Like 1
Andre S.

You are aware that we lived a 1000 years without any progress right? That the moment we started to put Christianity to a secondary position when we started to thrive.

People still believe this?  :|

#6. Scientific Progress Was Dead

(...)

Other misconceptions such as: "the Church prohibited autopsies and dissections during the Middle Ages", "the rise of Christianity killed off ancient science", and "the medieval Christian church suppressed the growth of natural philosophy", are all cited by Ronald Numbers as examples of widely popular myths that still pass as historical truth, although they are not supported by current historical research.[50] They help maintain the idea of a "Dark Age" spanning through the medieval period. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)#Rational_thought_and_the_study_of_nature

chrisj1968

now as a bible student of theology at Liberty University I can say some things about the bible. GOD inspired the word of GOD. He inspired certain men, his closest followers, Paul, Timotheous and a handful of others on what to write.

the original books of the NT were written on either leather scrolls or papyrus parchments(papyrus would break however if rolled) and a bishop named Marcion who dies in AD 160, hated the GOD of the OT and would use "select" books of the OT and NT. He was later kicked out of the church as a heretic. He later joined the Gnosticism movement and this forced the REAL church to use 3 criteria for which books would be put in the NT as "authoritative."  Marcion even tried to push a false gospel of Thomas. But the 3 criteria were 1. had to be written by an apostle or someone of authority close to the apostle 2. It had to fall in line with Christian doctrine 3. had to be accepted by all the churches.

Historic Christianity is the roman Catholic church who sent soldiers to Jerusalem during the crusades. Soldiers got blessings to rape jewish women from the pope of that time. GOD would NEVER allow for raping of his people. punishment yes, rape no.

Real Christianity real Christians were killed and put on poles and burned to light the pathways for people to see at night. REAL Christians were tortured and killed by the roman catholic church to try and get them to leave the Christian faith or be declared heretics.

I'm currently learning both the OLD and NEW testaments.

the bible shows GODS mercy, love and judgments for disobedience. It shows the Heart of GOD while at the same time, shows a mirror of mans evil heart. sin.

FloatingFatMan

As much as I enjoy the jokes about "dumb American's" as much as the next Brit, I'm really struggling to believe it really is as bad as this indicates...

OK, maybe down in the deep south, where everything goes via the bible first...

• Like 1
Vykranth

I do not think this is a survey as in 'website poll/survey'. This kind of surveys is indeed completely unreliable because the audience of a web poll is representative of the people going to the web site and not of the general population.

After that, searching up for 'National Science Foundation' linked me to http://www.nsf.gov and 'American Association for the Advancment of Science' to http://www.aaas.org .

They list plenty of papers and publications but I am still searching for the study.

It would have been nice for Breitbart.com to put a link to the said paper/study

• Like 1
psionicinversion

Is that serious?  wth do they think the earth revolves around? apart from themselves of course!!

LOC

As much as I enjoy the jokes about "dumb American's" as much as the next Brit, I'm really struggling to believe it really is as bad as this indicates...

OK, maybe down in the deep south, where everything goes via the bible first...

It's only that bad when you watch sensationalist news and crap like that. Sure there are morons out there (every country has em!) but I'd wager that most people are not all morons and derp heads.

• Like 1
Davo

Two things:

1.) Breitbart? Gross.

2.)

Fewer than half (48 percent) knew that human beings evolved from earlier species of animals.

That's a loaded statement in a country where a lot of people believe we should be run like a theocracy.

Yazoo

How do 2,200 participants in a survey = 1 in 4 of all Americans?

lol and this is a prime example of poor schooling

He's Dead Jim

"1 in 4 Americans unaware that Earth circles Sun"

and the other three think the sun shines out of their own arze ...

j/k :)

I love my transatlantian bros really ;)

Coi

Well it doesn't really circle the sun. The orbit is more elliptical.

A circle is an ellipse whose eccentricity is zero

Exactly, I guess?

leesmithg

Well it doesn't really circle the sun. The orbit is more elliptical.

Correct and it's also off course by a few metres every year, not sure how many but I think not too many.

Reason some people think the sun revolves around the earth is because it rises in the East and sets in the West.

I would not think any less of someone that didn't know the astronomy.

sorlag

Well the americans also use wrong names all over the place...

For example they say  million billion trillion, but it is  million milliard billion trillion. 

or the name of the element aluminium is misspelled as aluminum