iPad Purchased at Pawnshop

Hello,

Wouldnt jailbreaking it and downloading some tool help with this faster?

You won't be able to jailbreak it with the "Find my phone" password lock on it.  The jailbreak procedure requires you disable that password as one of the first steps.

Hello,

You won't be able to jailbreak it with the "Find my phone" password lock on it.  The jailbreak procedure requires you disable that password as one of the first steps.

I see.

Dont know the iPhone internally works but would it be possible, using dd, to copy a Apple image to the iPhone thus overwriting everything on the iPhone? Yeah, a brick is possible but...

Hello,

I see.

Dont know the iPhone internally works but would it be possible, using dd, to copy a Apple image to the iPhone thus overwriting everything on the iPhone? Yeah, a brick is possible but...

I'm not sure.  You are dealing with an anti-theft system that was designed to prevent folks from using stolen iPhones.  If it were as trivial as copying an image with some CLI tool, then the anti-theft wouldn't be very good.  I'm afraid the only way around it is to find an exploit which will not be so trivial.  There is currently an exploit for 7.0.4, look into it.

Hello,

I'm not sure.  You are dealing with an anti-theft system that was designed to prevent folks from using stolen iPhones.  If it were as trivial as copying an image with some CLI tool, then the anti-theft wouldn't be very good.  I'm afraid the only way around it is to find an exploit which will not be so trivial.  There is currently an exploit for 7.0.4, look into it.

dd doesnt care if its Apple or not. The important part is that if it has access to where the system is written. If that can be modified, then doesnt matter how powerful anti-theft system is.

A dd can destroy a encrypted drive in seconds. Sure the data is overwritten but then you have a working drive again. This is a similar situation: You dont care about the data on there but you do have to make sure the blocks you are copying are bootable Apple signed bytes that can be used as if the iProduct was from factory :)

My question was geared towards that. When you plug in a iProduct into a Linux box, can you see the system files?

There's a much simpler solution. Direct your friend to the video below

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnPk4RRWjic

That exploit doesn't apply in this situation as the device was already wiped and cannot be activated until the original apple id is entered.  Had the find my iphone been removed before it was wiped then this wouldn't have been an issue.  Or had this exploit been used before the wipe then again this wouldn't be an issue.

Unless the pawnshop or apple is willing to help then this ipad is basically a really good bookend.

Up to 150 dollars to buy from you then sell more than that to new customer Maybe around 350 to 450. Buy low sell high.

LOL I would never pay that much for one in a pawn shop. I would just save up and buy new.

LOL I would never pay that much for one in a pawn shop. I would just save up and buy new.

That's how pawnshop do.. I hate pawnshop.. I perfer to wait for deals such as 50% off from retail stores. Or buy new like you said.

Hello,

dd doesnt care if its Apple or not. The important part is that if it has access to where the system is written. If that can be modified, then doesnt matter how powerful anti-theft system is.

A dd can destroy a encrypted drive in seconds. Sure the data is overwritten but then you have a working drive again. This is a similar situation: You dont care about the data on there but you do have to make sure the blocks you are copying are bootable Apple signed bytes that can be used as if the iProduct was from factory :)

My question was geared towards that. When you plug in a iProduct into a Linux box, can you see the system files?

No.  You cannot see a file system when you plug in an iPhone.  That is not how an iPhone works.  The file system is guarded behind Apple's proprietary API.

That exploit doesn't apply in this situation as the device was already wiped and cannot be activated until the original apple id is entered.  Had the find my iphone been removed before it was wiped then this wouldn't have been an issue.  Or had this exploit been used before the wipe then again this wouldn't be an issue.

Unless the pawnshop or apple is willing to help then this ipad is basically a really good bookend.

You can't restore aka wipe in the first place if 'Find my iPhone' is on. It has to be switched off, hence my suggestion of using the exploit to do so. Once the iPad mini is wiped, there is no need to activate it.

Hello,

No.  You cannot see a file system when you plug in an iPhone.  That is not how an iPhone works.  The file system is guarded behind Apple's proprietary API.

Thank you for clearing that up :)

OP: You are SOL.

Hello,

Thank you for clearing that up :)

OP: You are SOL.

And not just a propietry API... True, you can mount the filesystem (a path of it storing music and images only) from linux using various tools, but even if you could mount the whole filesystem, unless it's jailbroken, you can't do anything with anything that's signed [as a security precaution and to stop jailbreaks working], so it would be nil anyway.