PS4 cumulative sales surpass 5.3 million units worldwide

Sony Computer Entertainment announced today that its PlayStation 4 has cumulatively sold more than 5.3 million units worldwide and was January's bestselling console in the U.S., according NPD Group data as of Feb. 8.

Since its North American launch on Nov. 15, PS4 is available in more than 32 regions across North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia. It will launch in Japan on Feb. 22, coinciding with the launch of Sega's Yakuza Restoration and the next-gen beta of Square Enix's Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn.

"The PS4 system's momentum just keeps growing stronger, and we are extremely grateful for the continued passion and support of PlayStation fans." Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., said in a prepared statement. "I'm looking forward to Japanese fans sharing the excitement of the deep social capabilities and entertainment experiences only possible on PS4."

Microsoft's Xbox One was the bestselling console in the U.S. during December, according to NPD Group data, selling more than 908,000 units in its second month on the market. SCE declined to provide sales data at the time, stating that its console remained the cumulative leader for next-gen console sales since its launch.

Microsoft and Sony announced worldwide sales data for 2013 in early January, revealing that more than  3 million Xbox One and 4.2 million PS4 units were sold by the end of the calendar year.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/18/5421706/ps4-cumulative-sales-surpass-5-3-million-units-worldwide

• Like 2

3 weeks ahead of sales targets, GG Sony :woot:

So happy things are turning around for them in the gaming department. Almost a year to the date since the PS4 was announced too (Y) Japan should be another easy 1 million at least.

I'd like to see some comparison graphs and charts on physical availability, online accessibility, and monetary related numbers. Pure sales numbers don't really tell the story.

It seems, to me, that the console market has grown overall and that is what is fueling most of these numbers. Of course there are many factors at play.

I'd like to see some detailed analysis on what it all means.

Example:

In their first two months on the market, Xbox One outsold Xbox 360 by a 2-to-1 margin.

Sales from launch through Dec. 31:

Xbox 360 (2005): 1.5 million (worldwide)

Xbox One (2013): 3 million (worldwide)

http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/13/xbox-one-versus-xbox-360-how-microsoft-nimbly-pivoted-to-execute-a-successful-launch/

So, obviously the market has grown...

Glad this is the way its going for Sony too. Was looking at the PS4 yesterday in awe at how sleek and small it is for the technology thats inside. Incredible. Microsoft's Xbox One looks like a bloat. lol

Not bad considering no one wants consoles anymore now that everyone has iPhones to play games on.

Well, except the 5.3 million "no ones" who've purchased a PS4. And the 3+ million who bought the XB1.

Yep, other than those 8 million, no one at all wants a console. :laugh:

• Like 2

Twill be interesting to see what happens here in Japan tomorrow. I doubt there will be that many people lining up to buy on day one, though.

Because the Japanese don't do that or because you don't think there is as much of an interest in the PS4 for them to line up for one?

I do have to wonder if the ps4 will be hampered by a lack of exclusive japanese content at launch. I would say Deep Down was going to be the big title for them there, but it was delayed. Add into that the trend in Japan to focus on handhelds and not consoles could result in a slow start for Sony.

Or, none of that could matter and there is simply so much excitement built up that the ps4 is a smash hit from day 1.

I have no idea which is more likely, but I'll give it a 50/50 shot.

Well, except the 5.3 million "no ones" who've purchased a PS4. And the 3+ million who bought the XB1.

Well it kind of is consoles are  a failure.  For instance windows 8 is considered a failure and it has sold more then 200 milliton licenses.    

You realize my comment was sarcasm right?  Before the PS4 and Xbone launched there were A LOT of "experts" saying people aren't going to pay $400+ for game consoles anymore now that they can game whenever and whereever they want on their smartphones.  They even pointed to the Wii U sales as "proof" that the "next gen" consoles wouldn't match the sales levels of the past...