PS4 cumulative sales surpass 5.3 million units worldwide

Good numbers considering the launch lineup (Y) I'm sure it'll explode when they get one of the popular RPGs

Yakuza isn't popular? Grrr. Haha.

There was no way it would do PS2 numbers. The Japanese market is totally different from then to now, much more focused on mobile games. I predicted 300-500k in the first few days/week.

Yakuza isn't popular? Grrr. Haha.

Well it is, but it's not exactly Persona / Monster Hunter etc :P

I think that's the reason why the portable market is so big over there. Those series really took off and they can make or break your console.

You know I like Yakuza :P Wish the HD remake of 1 and 2 was coming to EU :(

I think it was more to do with the looooooooooooong previous generation, people were ready for a new system. That coupled with arguably better hardware and cheaper pricepoint than Xbox One as well as their developer/consumer friendly policy I don't think it is a shock to see them blazing the sales figures.

The real test is going to be once the novelty of having a next gen console wears off, Sony have dropped the ball with regards exclusives, Drive Club is still nowhere to be seen, the Order is still a while off and Uncharted is probably going to be a 2015 game.

Huh

Your sarcasm meter is broke I think, the argument against next gen was always that the landscape has changed and people just play games on their phones and tablets and no one needs next gen.

Then 6m PS4 and 4m Xbox One were sold......

6 Million is still not a lot grand scheme of things. 80 million who people have either a 360 or PS3.  Game Developers should target them instead focusing resources on the new generation.  Even PC has more users with specs greater then PS4 or Xbox one.  

6 Million is still not a lot grand scheme of things. 80 million who people have either a 360 or PS3. Game Developers should target them instead focusing resources on the new generation. Even PC has more users with specs greater then PS4 or Xbox one.

Its the fastest selling console we've ever had this early into a generation, so right now its technically selling better than the 360/PS3...

PC sales barely break into single figure millions despite there being hundreds of millions of computers.

Why wouldn't developers focus on a new generation, sure the install base is there for previous generation but there is the next gen tax they can charge, despite there being only 6m PS4s game sales have been over double at 13.7m.

Developers will focus on next gen and hand off ports to their B teams or to other developers entirely.

With the excitement over next-gen it would be foolish to just concentrate on current gen.

If you look current data its really starting tapper off.  Its better to focus on the installed base then the new generation.  Just like each previous generation.  Why wasn't GTA 5 developed for the next gen right from the start because the install base is small.  You have wait untill you get to 10 -15 Million units soled then it makes sense. I don't think in the long this gen will beat previous Gen. of around 260 million consoles sold between the the 3 consoles makers.

GTA5 wasn't developed for Next Gen because it probably started production in 2008 straight after GTA4 was finished, the PS4 was just a twinkle in Mark Cernys eye back then.

Its the fastest selling console we've ever had this early into a generation, so right now its technically selling better than the 360/PS3...

Not to mention that both consoles have sold faster than any others so early in a new generation tells you that demand for content is very high.

GTA5 wasn't developed for Next Gen because it probably started production in 2008 straight after GTA4 was finished, the PS4 was just a twinkle in Mark Cernys eye back then.

They could have waited and pushed it out to all platforms they didn't.   I expect sales of both consoles to slow down until Holidays.  BTW if Steam PC sales are actually growing farely fast and the stalll base is huge.  

They could have waited and pushed it out to all platforms they didn't.   I expect sales of both consoles to slow down until Holidays.  BTW if Steam PC sales are actually growing farely fast and the stalll base is huge.  

They already delayed the game once I don't think people who were waiting to play it would have waited another 6-12 months.

Install base is huge on PC but a big game like Battlefield 4 has barely sold 900k, hell BF3 only sold 2.5m as of end of 2013 and that's terrible considering how many billions of PCs there are in the world.

Great news (Y)

As for GTA V, announcing both versions last year would have killed the current gen sales. Install base is what they're waiting for and probably adding extra content or optimization.

That exactly make point.   Also I think people dreaming they think consoles will reach 300 million during the lifetime of this generation.  

They already delayed the game once I don't think people who were waiting to play it would have waited another 6-12 months.

Install base is huge on PC but a big game like Battlefield 4 has barely sold 900k, hell BF3 only sold 2.5m as of end of 2013 and that's terrible considering how many billions of PCs there are in the world.

You can't expect game that huge disaster on the PC side to sell well.   Minecraft sold 14.4 million copies on the PC so their is definitely a market.  And If you look at game like Star Citizen it crowd funded game that has already passed $40 million dollars. So their is definitely a market. Publishers suck and don't always have gamers interests at heart.

14.4m is terrible sales considering the 2 billion PCs in the world.

Its really not  bad considering there was little marketing for it.

People don't realize the marketing budget for game like BF4 is huge like $40 million this is why games have a hard time making money back.

14.4m is terrible sales considering the 2 billion PCs in the world.

Most probably aren't used for gaming. They probably exist in offices, schools, businesses, etc. I would imagine the amount of gaming PCs in that 2 billion figure is rather small.

6 Million is still not a lot grand scheme of things. 80 million who people have either a 360 or PS3.  Game Developers should target them instead focusing resources on the new generation.  Even PC has more users with specs greater then PS4 or Xbox one.  

6M this early in its life is considerable. You can hardly compare the sales of systems which have existed for years to one which has only just been released.