Windows 9 Concept - A Tablet/Desktop Metro Firefox

I really didn't follow any of that...

Your concept Windows MUI (Modern UI) apps. I can't get on board with that. I think it's inferior to full screen or snapped MUI apps. To integrate them better start with pinning them to the task bar (being done) and a way to auto-start MUI apps on boot.

If you windows MUI apps, are the app designers going to give up designing efficient and productive snap views? How will they scale to random window sizing that may change the aspect ratio? Or will they give up scaling altogether and just crop them?

The more I see these concepts, the more I believe, though Microsoft hasn't gotten it quite right yet, no one can do a better job than they're doing at the moment.

I would switch to Linux instantly... sorry  :blush:

I tried going to Linux, it was complete and utter tosh. I'd stick with the version of Windows that came before this, and hang in there till EOL.

You're confused? By what? I would keep the Start Screen for Desktop Apps only. I think it could work as a information display (RSS Feed Headlines, Toggles, System Information.)

That's what it does now.

Dot, there is no reason why laptop users like me need both UI's. the modern UI is geared for tablet and mobile markets. Since July last year I maybe have used the modern UI on my fingers. the last 3 months.. zero times. they wasted a DVD to give us a 32bit and 64bit versions of the OS in the past. so it isn't THAT difficult. it's not a matter of "can they" as it is more perhaps what you deem they should do right?

fLive and let live I always say. why put in the extra overhead (data) on the hard drive is a particular user doesn't want to? But enough of this because it's just a rehash of the age old argument of my dogs better then your dog..

And there's no reason to limit laptop users like me to just one UI. I like the flexibility of having both the modern and traditional UIs on one system. The desktop is used mainly for legacy programs, while I find that the single purpose Metro apps are better for their specific function. Why go to 2 or 3 sites to check on the status of packages when I can have all the info at a glance in the Trackage app, for instance?

I like the additional options, and see no reason why Windows should be cut in half when it's easy enough to just not use anything you don't want.

If you windows MUI apps, are the app designers going to give up designing efficient and productive snap views?

I think if they use the desktop window frame, the apps will taken on the same traits as the desktop apps.

I like the additional options, and see no reason why Windows should be cut in half when it's easy enough to just not use anything you don't want.

Do you think the option to choose the Desktop or Metro should be available on Start Up to avoid entangled UI?

Again your concept here leaves much to be desired in regards to a new menu system.

You didn't answer the question from earlier.

"I think you could make a "One" user interface for everyone. That would mean changing Metro. Would you rather have a Unified design for applications (where Metro took on desktop elements, namely the caption buttons) or would you like to keep Metro completely separate?"

Do you think the option to choose the Desktop or Metro should be available on Start Up to avoid entangled UI?

For me personally? No. I like the mix, and don't see it as an "entangled UI". I don't want to have to choose one or the other, at least not until we either get more robust Metro apps or the ability to run desktop programs directly in Metro.

But for others, it's not a bad idea, as long as the current mix is still an option.

It should not, must not be a strict one or the other choice! I don't want the OS lobotomized by having to select just one side or the other. The option of a blend must remain.

No. Microsoft is trying to move on, and prep themselves for future technologies. You can't do that by abandoning a subset of users. I can guarantee you the majority of innovation from Microsoft isn't going to be on the desktop anymore, but in the Metro UI.

No. Microsoft is trying to move on, and prep themselves for future technologies. You can't do that by abandoning a subset of users. I can guarantee you the majority of innovation from Microsoft isn't going to be on the desktop anymore, but in the Metro UI.

you're kind of playing the devils advocate there. think about it: in time the user base who move on to Windows 8.1 and above will increase because MSFT will cut support all older OS's and thereby the trump will be all systems will have atleast 8.1 or above. everything now pretty much comes pre installed with 8.1.. or 8. a captured audience is inevitible. 

It's hardly abandoning anything if people can still choose it upon Start Up. I got to be honest on this one. I would switch to Metro for a period of time just to enjoy that environment by itself.

And that wasn't the question I asked. The question I asked was "I think you could make a "One" user interface for everyone. That would mean changing Metro. Would you rather have a Unified design for applications (where Metro took on desktop elements, namely the caption buttons) or would you like to keep Metro completely separate?"

This is the most awful UI Concept I've ever seen. 

What was the second most?

Your concept Windows MUI (Modern UI) apps. I can't get on board with that. I think it's inferior to full screen or snapped MUI apps. To integrate them better start with pinning them to the task bar (being done) and a way to auto-start MUI apps on boot.

If you windows MUI apps, are the app designers going to give up designing efficient and productive snap views? How will they scale to random window sizing that may change the aspect ratio? Or will they give up scaling altogether and just crop them?

The more I see these concepts, the more I believe, though Microsoft hasn't gotten it quite right yet, no one can do a better job than they're doing at the moment.

MUI means Multi-lingual User Interface, not "Modern UI." That was one point of confusion. More to the point, my concept maintains full-screen and snapped apps. It adds the ability to use them in a windowed mode on large displays (as well as pin them to the taskbar, among other things). Rumors suggest Microsoft is already doing some version of this (along the lines of ModernMix, potentially). My proposal shows a way to do this and maximize its usefulness, while maintaining the existing concepts that are part of the system today.

Store apps already support arbitrary windows sizes in 8.1. In my concept there would be an appropriate minimum size for each workspace window. There would be no change for developers (although it might be desirable to add the ability to adapt their UI when in windowed mode - for example, some may want to expose additional mouse controls or make their AppBars always visible).

Miller continued on to explain that the design team split users into two groups: content creators and content consumers:

• Content creators were explained to be power users: they have multiple windows open across multiple monitors, they sometimes even have virtual machines that also have their own nested levels of complexity.
  • Content consumers were explained to be casual users who just use basic social media platforms, view photos, and so on. They were described as the computer illiterate younger siblings, the older grandparents, or the mother "who just wants to look up apple pie recipes."

Windows 8 was designed for the latter group: the content consumers. This is also where Metro stems from: it is a platform that is "simple, clear, and does one thing (and only one thing) relatively easily." Miller described Metro as the antithesis of a power user.

source https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-ux-designer-on-metro-it-is-the-antithesis-of-a-power-user

this about sums up my general thinking. MSFT needs a serious rethinking.

Now you're just cheating, you know MS will never update system icons, not a serious update. They'll eliminate the desktop first, lol.

Because once you memorize the Charms Bar, you're all set. For any app you use, the controls are all in one spot, and not all over the place.

It's not removing anything. They're all there, ready to use when you need the controls. And I disagree that an application "is not a painting". An artist doesn't leave their brushes and pencils all over their drawing, they set them away to the side, until they are needed. A busy and overly complicated UI does no one any good. A good UI is one that will stay out of the user's way until it's needed.

You're right, a program is a painting. An artist renders something visually. They find something for someone to connect to. They use form and symmetry to show something to people because if they didn't people wouldn't know what to connect to.

Someone already made a true* metro theme for Firefox:

pseutro_light_1_0_5_by_spewboy-d5yyxov.p

You can get it here: http://mucksponge.deviantart.com/art/Pseutro-Light-1-0-5-361067791

*It's not exactly Metro due to firefox base design, which is why it's called Pseutro.

^^ FYI, the above theme doesn't work on Firefox 27 or above. The developer is hoping to release an updated theme for Firefox 29.