Windows 9 Concept - A Tablet/Desktop Metro Firefox

And there's no reason to limit laptop users like me to just one UI. I like the flexibility of having both the modern and traditional UIs on one system. The desktop is used mainly for legacy programs, while I find that the single purpose Metro apps are better for their specific function. Why go to 2 or 3 sites to check on the status of packages when I can have all the info at a glance in the Trackage app, for instance?

I like the additional options, and see no reason why Windows should be cut in half when it's easy enough to just not use anything you don't want.

Um, that is why what we are asking for is an OPTION.  You get to use Windows how you want, and I get to use Windows how I want.  To never see any metro and have a classic start menu.

If the provided this OPTION, everybody would be happy.  You can use it just like Windows 7 (classic start menu and all).  Or you can use it how it is now.

Why is it when somebody brings up these ideas for options, you guys freak out.  If they add an option, YOUR CHOICE still REMAINS.  WE just get our own choice.

^ Looks nice, but that is in no way finger friendly.

Um, that screen shot was for the desktop.  We can't make every single possible thing touch friendly.  Why do we need to make the DESKTOP touch friendly?

Um, that is why what we are asking for is an OPTION.  You get to use Windows how you want, and I get to use Windows how I want.  To never see any metro and have a classic start menu.

If the provided this OPTION, everybody would be happy.  You can use it just like Windows 7 (classic start menu and all).  Or you can use it how it is now.

Why is it when somebody brings up these ideas for options, you guys freak out.  If they add an option, YOUR CHOICE still REMAINS.  WE just get our own choice.

Too many of these kinds of posts suggest splitting the UI. All too often I read "Desktop/laptop users don't need Metro, so just have it on tablets". It's the suggestion that only tablet users use Metro, so separating it from the stationary computer OS is a solution that is the problem.

Every time I point out that splitting the UI by device type screws over those of us that like the hybrid, someone claims that wasn't what was suggested. If that's not what was meant, then why say it? These guys try to force their preferred way of working on the hybrid users, and then backpedal when I call them on it. Giving a choice of one or the other is not remotely the same thing as adding back a choice for a Menu and allowing the suppression of Metro. Forcing a choice of one or the other is reducing the choices available!

Metro is not just for tablets, and there are traditional form factor users who like it, especially since we still have access to traditional desktop programs. So how is splitting the OS in half providing a choice for us?

Desktop-oriented users are not excluded by the inclusion of Metro in the main Windows OS, but users of the mix would be by a split.

So I've been think about this exact issue too. I think I can understand why it might be a good idea to keep the environments together (with some concessions from each side.)

This issue makes me think of the ancillary programs and "Games For Windows Live." All of these programs can now go under the Metro moniker. I do think the Metro style would still need to be redesigned slightly though. The top and bottom hidden UI doesn't really work that well for desktop. So maybe if they find a way to make the Metro programs work with the desktop it could be a welcome edition. Especially, if I read correctly that it should be easy to port games from the new XBox to Windows 8. So maybe if Metro gained the caption button controls in the far right corner, the resizable window option, and instead had some sort of "minimal" on screen display the Metro apps could work real well on the desktop. I think the other thing is that some standard operating system utilities should be in the desktop format, since these have become standard on other operating systems.

Some of the issues stem from certain cliques on neowin who are hellbent of "forcing" others to give up all concessions from their side and embrace the new fad UI. there I said it. it is a fad UI.

But I posted an article whereby an article stated that the modern UI is not feasible for power users, such as those who, use virtual environments across several screens. how the modern UI is based on its being directed to the consumer market not, power users.

I continue to stand my ground on this contention

Some of the issues stem from certain cliques on neowin who are hellbent of "forcing" others to give up all concessions from their side and embrace the new fad UI. there I said it. it is a fad UI.

But I posted an article whereby an article stated that the modern UI is not feasible for power users, such as those who, use virtual environments across several screens. how the modern UI is based on its being directed to the consumer market not, power users.

Except that the concession some of the "oldschool" interface proponents want is the complete removal of Metro. I see more people hellbent on forcing everyone on a traditional computer back to the desktop than Metro users wanting to kill off the desktop. Metro fans may think that the desktop is going to go away eventually, but aren't clamoring for its death.

I have no problem with the Menu coming back as an option. I do not want to have to use it myself, nor do I want to give up the Metro side. I also don't want to have to give up access to desktop programs to retain Metro.

I'm not the only person who likes the mix, yet invariably in discussions of "fixing" Windows, splitting it is offered as a solution, and even referred to as "giving us options". How is reducing how we can use out computers giving us more options? I like a little from both column A and B. It ticks me off to see being forced to pick one or the other offered as "more choice".

By all means, add the option to hide Metro and add back the menu, but stop the binary thinking. It's not an either-or decision for me, so I wish people would stop trying to force one on me. "Both" must remain as a option as well!

I'm in agreement with the majority of comments here (particularly those from Dot Matrix, theyarecomingforyou, and DConnell). While I will be the first to admit that I'm not exactly a huge fan of Metro, I do agree with most of the design principles.

With that said, I see several aspects of your design that could be considered flawed. First, why are the title bar and address bar merged together? Combining the two would make it extraordinarily difficult to reposition the window (at least if you had tabs open, which your concept does). Secondly, there is no need for the bookmarks sidebar to remain open at all times - it is far too intrusive and takes up valuable screen estate (a web browser is designed to show content). Its functionality is better provided by the bookmarks toolbar.

Finally, some of your UI elements are too small. It would be a pain in the neck if one attempted to touch them with a finger or tap them with a stylus (consequently, mouse usability would also be affected).

Metro is far from a "fad", when it's time to move on from it, what do you think MSFT is going to do? Abandon whatever technologies are around at that time, and revert back to the 1990's Start Menu paradigm? A "fad" denounces something that is short lasting, and Microsoft is thinking far with this new UI.

People once called the mouse a "fad, and the GUI was too, once called a "fad", but they're both still around, even after all this time. We haven't reverted back to the CLI, and we're certainly not reverting back to the old ways of doing things on the desktop. Technology is going to move forward, and along with it, the way we interact with technology. And those interactions are going to drive new interfaces, and input devices.

I can guarantee that 20 years from now, computers will be barely recognizable compared to today's form factors, none of which will be mouse driven. Or at least none that are driven by a mouse as we know them today.

• Like 2

Metro is far from a "fad", when it's time to move on from it, what do you think MSFT is going to do? Abandon whatever technologies are around at that time, and revert back to the 1990's Start Menu paradigm? A "fad" denounces something that is short lasting, and Microsoft is thinking far with this new UI.

People once called the mouse a "fad, and the GUI was too, once called a "fad", but they're both still around, even after all this time. We haven't reverted back to the CLI, and we're certainly not reverting back to the old ways of doing things on the desktop. Technology is going to move forward, and along with it, the way we interact with technology. And those interactions are going to drive new interfaces, and input devices.

I can guarantee that 20 years from now, computers will be barely recognizable compared to today's form factors, none of which will be mouse driven. Or at least none that are driven by a mouse as we know them today.

I respect this.  :)

I do not much like the concept in the first post. it seems unnesscarily compacted, cutting out things I'd want. I also just don't like the general look of it.

For the most part I think Window 8 works just fine, but I'd like to see more attention to convenience & properly refine what's there.

For example, this is something I've wished I could do in Windows 8:

Let me pull functions from the Ribbon & place them on the top Ribbon bar for quick access, rather than having to actually dig through the Ribbon everytime. I never have it pinned open so let me auto hide the ribbon menu too. Also show all the icon size option in the status area rather than just two.

win.jpg

And?

And it was a joke obviously, a crack at the very OS with a UI that all the die hard fanboy's have to defend and make excuses for as everyone else complains about it.  I thought my joke was pretty obvious since all the complaints about Windows new UI direction is. So I jokingly showed a pic of how you fix all that right now. Can't believe I had to spell out a simple joke, geez lighten up.

And it was a joke obviously, a crack at the very OS with a UI that all the die hard fanboy's have to defend and make excuses for as everyone else complains about it.  I thought my joke was pretty obvious since all the complaints about Windows new UI direction is. So I jokingly showed a pic of how you fix all that right now. Can't believe I had to spell out a simple joke, geez lighten up.

gotta admit, that was pretty good. for me, the leaning tower of folders was the dead giveaway.

And it was a joke obviously, a crack at the very OS with a UI that all the die hard fanboy's have to defend and make excuses for as everyone else complains about it. I thought my joke was pretty obvious since all the complaints about Windows new UI direction is. So I jokingly showed a pic of how you fix all that right now. Can't believe I had to spell out a simple joke, geez lighten up.

Sorry. The joke didn't translate too well through the Internet.

I do not much like the concept in the first post. it seems unnesscarily compacted, cutting out things I'd want. I also just don't like the general look of it.

For the most part I think Window 8 works just fine, but I'd like to see more attention to convenience & properly refine what's there.

For example, this is something I've wished I could do in Windows 8:

Let me pull functions from the Ribbon & place them on the top Ribbon bar for quick access, rather than having to actually dig through the Ribbon everytime. I never have it pinned open so let me auto hide the ribbon menu too. Also show all the icon size option in the status area rather than just two.

http://s1.postimg.org/5avhcrmkv/win.jpg

Okay, so I don't know if I should show this or not, but I also did this concept.

10997939685_3c40268c78_o.png

A few things about this concept. I like the Ribbon, but I thought I would much prefer it if I could rearrange and amend the buttons to a basic profile. There is an option in the desktop version of VLC to do this very thing and this is where I started this concept from. I would do this differently now though. I have not updated it yet. In the original post, I had a Task Bar that only allowed space for what was essential to the Task Bar. Start Button, Apps, and Status Icons. Since the space in between the Apps and Status Icons is now vacant, that is where I would put an incoming message box. Also for the Toolbar Editor, I would update it and provide an option for a customized folder address and icon (instead of a second line.)

Please if you're going to tell me why you like or hate this, explain why. Hyperbole isn't very informative.

It honestly still looks like a 1995 Linux distro.

That's in no way, shape, or form modern in any sense of the word. Hell I haven't even seen those grouping borders since ditching older programs when I moved off XP. Those design guidelines have long been ditched by MSFT.

This is a perfect example of a modern interface:

post-420821-0-88121900-1393185050.png

It's clean, and straight to the point. This is what Windows 9 will look like.

In the original post, I had a Task Bar that only allowed space for what was essential to the Task Bar. Start Button, Apps, and Status Icons.

Please if you're going to tell me why you like or hate this, explain why. Hyperbole isn't very informative.

It honestly still looks like a 1995 Linux distro.

That's in no way, shape, or form modern in any sense of the word. Hell I haven't even seen those grouping borders since ditching older programs when I moved off XP. Those design guidelines have long been ditched by MSFT.

Pretty Sure even Jensen Harris talked about "Fierce Reductionism" when he described Metro. How is keeping the Start Button, App Icons, and Status Icons and eliminating the empty space in between against this principle?

Pretty Sure even Jensen Harris talked about "Fierce Reductionism" when he described Metro. How is keeping the Start Button, App Icons, and Status Icons and eliminating the empty space in between against this principle.

Clutter. Tightly spaced elements are going to create nothing but. Modern interface designs are pushing to eliminate on screen clutter, and simplify end user options.

Clutter. Tightly spaced elements are going to create nothing but. Modern interface designs are pushing to eliminate on screen clutter, and simplify end user options.

I think all that empty space in the "Search And Apps" pic seems less appealing. It doesn't seem like a good usage of space.