Windows 9 Concept - A Tablet/Desktop Metro Firefox

It's only for the top bar.

I just think Metro would really take off, if there wasn't Hidden UI and Horizontal Scrolling.

A Tablet/Desktop app that could easily be fitted to both interfaces. While, avoiding the elements of Metro I don't like (Hidden UI, Horizontal Scrolling, And Empty Space.)

There is a reason why they have a hidden UI as you call it. It makes all apps use the same principle as to not have lots of buttons everywhere to press, and not having to memorize where all the buttons are. 

Jensen Harris actually spoke about these, you can check it here:

• Like 3

Some thoughts:

How do you know which of those Youtube tabs are what? 

What would it look like if I had 20+ tabs open? how would I go through all those tabs? 

As someone earlier mentioned, how would I move the window around comfortably? 

As someone who from time to time actually uses the desktop with touch (on my surface rt), how would I with fingers move that window around? How about resize it?

Where do I press if I want a new tab?

Questions:

1. Well, you can switch to them. You can highlight the name if the mouse pointer is over the tab on the desktop version I use.

2. I'm still wondering how it is that a person can read or watch one thing at a time, but you would need twenty tabs open in the first place. (not to mention the utility of bookmarks.)

3. I already answered that. The empty space around the caption buttons is what I use.

4. Long Press The Caption Buttons. Long Press The Firefox Button.

5. All other available options would be presented by pressing the Firefox Button on the left and bringing up a vertical menu. Of course, since it is Firefox you should be able to customize the Action Bar choices.

Questions:

1. Well, you can switch to them. You can highlight the name if the mouse pointer is over the tab on the desktop version I use.

2. I'm still wondering how it is that a person can read or watch one thing at a time, but you would need twenty tabs open in the first place. (not to mention the utility of bookmarks.)

3. I already answered that. The empty space around the caption buttons is what I use.

4. Long Press The Caption Buttons. Long Press The Firefox Button.

5. All other available options would be presented by pressing the Firefox Button on the left and bringing up a vertical menu. Of course, since it is Firefox you should be able to customize the Action Bar choices.

None of these make any sense on a tablet, let alone on a desktop machine.

You say you hate hidden UI's, yet you're hiding tab names, and other UI bits on your own.

There is a reason why they have a hidden UI as you call it. It makes all apps use the same principle as to not have lots of buttons everywhere to press, and not having to memorize where all the buttons are. 

Jensen Harris actually spoke about these, you can check it here:

"Not having to memorize where all the buttons are" - HOW does a making buttons pull up from a off screen gesture help find a solution to that!?!!!?

And I've seen that video. Fierce Reductionism. Even if it removes the basic components of the program?!?!? A Program is not a painting. If it was there wouldn't be the word "Interface."

"Not having to memorize where all the buttons are" - HOW does a making buttons pull up from a off screen gesture help find a solution to that!?!!!?

And I've seen that video. Fierce Reductionism. Even if it removes the basic components of the program?!?!? A Program is not a painting. If it was there wouldn't be the word "Interface."

Because once you memorize the Charms Bar, you're all set. For any app you use, the controls are all in one spot, and not all over the place.

It's not removing anything. They're all there, ready to use when you need the controls. And I disagree that an application "is not a painting". An artist doesn't leave their brushes and pencils all over their drawing, they set them away to the side, until they are needed. A busy and overly complicated UI does no one any good. A good UI is one that will stay out of the user's way until it's needed.

• Like 2

None of these make any sense on a tablet, let alone on a desktop machine.

You say you hate hidden UI's, yet you're hiding tab names, and other UI bits on your own.

This windowed version is what I use on my desktop machine. I have all the utility I need in one bar, instead of, three or four.

I can look at the highlighted tab name (I tried it out when I first set my browser to look like this), But I never do. I can distinguish the tabs from icon and usage and you can too.

A good UI is one that will stay out of the user's way until it's needed.

Well since you're using a program in the first place that seems like a moot point. I am more so just not a fan of off screen swiping gestures. I do think Hidden UI should be avoided, if it can be. Especially for the core components of a program.

Don't quit your day job  :s

With fresh jokes like that one, I feel optimistic about it.

Add a poll and see how many of us like this. I personally think this is ugly as sin :x ... no offense.

Being there's the fact that I seem to be pissing off people in both the Metro camp and the Desktop camp, I'm willing to say that comment was easy to make.

With fresh jokes like that one, I feel optimistic about it.

Being there's the fact that I seem to be pissing off people in both the Metro camp and the Desktop camp, I'm willing to say that comment was easy to make.

Are you trying to say I am following the herd? What part of "I personally think" you did not understand?

If something is ugly I will call it ugly or would you want me to be Minnesota polite and just say "Oh that's different" :P

What part of "I personally think" you did not understand?

Um, the part where you put "you" in front of "did." And I didn't say "herd," you said "herd." And if you're in both groups as well as neither that's fine too.

I like the notification area, but that's about it.

I am a real person. I enjoy it very much.

That's fine if you just plan on using this for yourself. However you cannot really say that it would be usable for other people. Not everyone likes having things cramped into one toolbar.

Action Buttons, The Address Bar, Tabs, And Captions Buttons? That's too much? Would it be easier just to swipe everything on screen and then choose one of the aforementioned functions because it seems like that would be more to do. I made this for functionality first and style second. Functionality, I think, should come first.

All those things are secondary. Your design makes them primary elements taking away from the central focus (task) at hand. Nothing wrong with hiding things as long as they are discoverable when needed.

I like the notification area, but that's about it.

But not the Start Button/Apps portion of the Task Bar? That's interesting, why? I removed the middle section because seeming like it is only empty space, I didn't want to keep it.

But not the Start Button/Apps portion of the Task Bar? That's interesting, why? I removed the middle section because seeming like it is only empty space, I didn't want to keep it.

To be honest dude, one could simply hide it if one didn't want to see it,

all in all I like the concept, but I fear I do not have the experience enough to offer anything more constructive.

That's fine if you just plan on using this for yourself. However you cannot really say that it would be usable for other people. Not everyone likes having things cramped into one toolbar.

I could say that or I couldn't. I could say having a button that represents every fundamental action in one bar is nice and there are other people that enjoy it as well.

Um, the part where you put "you" in front of "did." And I didn't say "herd," you said "herd." And if you're in both groups as well as neither that's fine too.

You asked for feedback, we gave constructed criticism. If you can't take it, then please leave. We are not here to kiss you and praise your work. You have ruined "Metro" if you think this is what Microsoft is going to turn towards. Too many colors, no flat UI, the buttons are all "old fashioned" Why is the bookmark PANE not able to be hidden? Why are the tabs all icons only, I have multiple videos open if I need to show my class multiple videos. Stop using ad hominem attacks.

To be honest dude, one could simply hide it if one didn't want to see it,

all in all I like the concept, but I fear I do not have the experience enough to offer anything more constructive.

Honestly, I think that is a good view point to have. A lot these guys seem to think they know exactly why something is wrong and (I'm answering their criticism) yet I don't see them offering any explanation to their criticism. And once one person says something negative others will join in easily.

I auto hide the taskbar, so splitting it just seem to draw my focus, don't know why. Could be just what I'm used to, or the center is usually where I target to unhide the taskbar, don't know.