To catch a theif?

A friend of mine is trying to catch a suspect money thief from an office desk draw.

He wants to capture images of the thief, The cleaners are suspected so its happening overnight.

What options are available? He doesn't have local admin rights to install any software. Ideally battery powered but not adverse to electrical socket. He had a non descriptive brand of camera from eBay but it failed last night so without spending anymore money on it then I am looking at better alternatives.

Thoughts?

If he does not have network/administrator rights then an IP Camera or locally installed software solution is ruled out which only leaves a standard camera hidden in the room. Perhaps he could borrow one.

If you have an old phone with a camera... you can turn it into a webcam and plug the phone to the wall so you wouldn't worry about battery goes down... and place it somewhere and use your current phone to watch the action.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what a desk draw is, but the nanny cam type scenario would be a good option. That or a remotely monitored webcam, but with limited rights on the machine it'd be problematic. 

Locking the money up in a cash box or something would be a smart move if it's being taken from a desk, that or have a drawer with a lock