[windows 8.1]

I purchased a new PC for my son today.

It came with Windows 8.1 installed.

He is happy so won't be installing 7.

Two things, It recognised home group when I tried to join to mine, I entered correct PW, however it said, needs permission, so help with this please.

I also need to know how to get to Windows Updates.

You can find "Windows Updates" in the PC-Settings App > Update and repair, you can also search for "Windows Update" with the search charm. For your permission issue: what exactly do you mean UAC?

I purchased a new PC for my son today.

It came with Windows 8.1 installed.

He is happy so won't be installing 7.

Two things, It recognised home group when I tried to join to mine, I entered correct PW, however it said, needs permission, so help with this please.

I also need to know how to get to Windows Updates.

What kind of account did you set up for him? Microsoft account or local?

And if it's a local, is he an admin or regular user. I'm wondering if you need admin privileges to join a homegroup.

What kind of account did you set up for him? Microsoft account or local?

And if it's a local, is he an admin or regular user. I'm wondering if you need admin privileges to join a homegroup.

It was pre-instelled, however I will check this out.

Thanks for other replies.

Thanks for everyones help.

I realised the answer for HomeGroup once I went through HomeGroup settings, but was clued so thanks.

Windows updates, I created a shortcut via search and it's now pasted to start menu and is sorted too.

Thanks to everyone for their input, so everyone solved it.

:ninja:

Turn password protected sharing off. Install something like classicshell. At least it'll give you  a menu

Why do you force others to change the way they use their PC? He said his son is happy with it.

Why do you force others to change the way they use their PC? He said his son is happy with it.

Does Classic Shell always disable the Screen, or can that functionality be turned off? I can see where he might prefer to have a familiar menu to make supporting the system easier for him. If the addon menu and Start Screen can coexist, I don't see the harm in installing it.

His son can use the Screen for his everyday use, and leesmithg could have the familiar menu to use when fixing stuff. If he chose to install it.