Query Google with VB.NET

Question

Forgive my ignorance however I thought this is the best place to ask, I have been out of the programming game for a while now. My background is .NET (VB). What is the correct and up to date method that would allow me to query Google and extract this information? I did use a method before a few years back but access to this is stopped.

Thanks

11 answers to this question

This would be the api to use:

https://developers.google.com/custom-search/json-api/v1/overview

However, you can only do 100 queries a day.

Another way would be to just query the website with say WebClient and parse the html for the results. But that is very dirty and I don't recommend it, certainly not if you are planning on distributing your software

You could use HttpWebRequest to perform a search in Google and parse the response using an HTML parser or regular expressions, but do so knowing it will almost certainly break in the future.

Yeah thats how I would have done it but parsing the HTML would be a dirty way to do it. I dont plan on putting my code into production at all its merely for self interest and curiosity and to stop my mind going stale.

Yeah thats how I would have done it but parsing the HTML would be a dirty way to do it. I dont plan on putting my code into production at all its merely for self interest and curiosity and to stop my mind going stale.

Well, the link I gave you contains all the information, if you want to test it:

https://developers.google.com/apis-explorer/#p/customsearch/v1/search.cse.list

The easiest way to use it from vb.net would be using WebClient and parsing the result with the newtonsoft json library :)

Yeah, I just had a look for the hell of it and they don't return any results in the initial response anyway. Use the APIs.