Internet Explorer 11 and Neowin Forums (now working)

Steven P.

Along with several fixes that Redmak (our developer/coder) has done in order to get IE10 and 11 working with our forums, we've now forced IE10 compatibility mode so that copy/paste and several other controls work, such as adding in Attached images from the full Editor where you want in the post.

Roll on IPB 4! and Thanks Redmak :)

• Like 18
Barney T.

(Y)

riahc3

Hello,

Along with several fixes that Redmak (our developer/coder) has done in order to get IE10 and 11 working with our forums, we've now forced IE10 compatibility mode so that copy/paste and several other controls work, such as adding in Attached images from the full Editor where you want in the post.

Roll on IPB 4! and Thanks Redmak :)

Intresting. Ive always perfered BBMode but better for all that perfer the other method.
Dot Matrix

My Surface RT thanks you! :)

• Like 3
George P

Have you guys tested with both the desktop and metro version of IE11?  Some times I get a weird behavior on my tablet and the onscreen keyboard starts to act up. Though I think this only happens with the editor off, now that you've improved it i'll turn it back on and see if the kb acts up again.

LimeMaster

Testing pasting text using IE11 on Neowin.

It works! :) I guess you guys got tired of waiting for the IPB team to fix it. :laugh:

stoo2000

It works! :) I guess you guys got tired of waiting for the IPB team to fix it. :laugh:

No, they're using a hook/fix provided by IPS. 

Steven P.

Well in all honesty, we didn't want to force backward compatibility for IE11 :p

No, they're using a hook/fix provided by IPS. 

We're not. We know how to edit meta tags in the global_template :p

stoo2000

We're not. We know how to edit meta tags in the global_template :p

So, you've got the same code that sniffs for Trident and says EmulateIE10 :P

Steven P.

We went a bit further than that actually. We fixed the Editor for IE10 in 3.4.5 ourselves, not sure why you are insisting we needed a hook to do all the fixes, but whatevs :P

LimeMaster

That's a wise decision because I remember issues started happening in compatibility mode. :) Anyways, hopefully the editor won't break again when a new version of IPB comes out.

• Like 1
menifred

That's great! No more frustration when I use IE11 :jump:

• Like 1
Ian W

Finally! Now I can happily use Internet Explorer 11 again.

Thank you Neobond and Redmak.

• Like 1
Boo Berry

Posted from Internet Explorer 11. Works good!

• 3 weeks later...
Boo Berry

There's a possible follow up issue, when you click the Image button, you can't get rid of the Image Properties dialog, hence you can't successfully embed images. Anyone else confirm/deny this?

+Zlip792

There's a possible follow up issue, when you click the Image button, you can't get rid of the Image Properties dialog, hence you can't successfully embed images. Anyone else confirm/deny this?

Working fine for me, I can post URL in field and then OK works also fine to embed image in post.

Dot Matrix

I've noticed the notifications on the home page have stopped "syncing" with IE10 on my Surface. They keep increasing, and there's no way to clear them. They'll also continually show old notifications as if they were new.

• Like 1
123456789A

I've noticed the notifications on the home page have stopped "syncing" with IE10 on my Surface. They keep increasing, and there's no way to clear them. They'll also continually show old notifications as if they were new.

I'm also getting this phenomenon.

Raa

I'm also getting this phenomenon.

I've had that happen on and off at work for the last few days too... [using IE10]

Boo Berry

Working fine for me, I can post URL in field and then OK works also fine to embed image in post.

Fixed it, userscript broke it in IE11. :p

tumblr_m0sujhZ24z1rrdywqo1_400.gif

*Posted and embedded from IE11.

• Like 1
Decebalvs Rex

Finally! Thanks!

Everything looks and works good now.

• Like 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      Microsoft announces end of support for Edge Legacy, Microsoft services dropping IE11
      by João Carrasqueira

In January of this year, Microsoft formally introduced the new Edge browser based on the Chromium engine. It introduced a bunch of new features compared to the previous UWP-based version, now known as Edge Legacy, such as support for Chrome extensions, profiles, and more. Naturally, the new version of Edge is set to eventually replace Edge Legacy, and Microsoft has said that Windows 10 version 20H2 will ship with the new browser for the first time.

Today, Microsoft announced that it's preparing to drop support for Edge Legacy, meaning it will no longer receive security updates. This will happen on March 9, 2021, at which point most Windows 10 users should already have the new Edge, since the browser is being pushed through Windows Update.

Microsoft also announced that many of its web-based services, such as Office on the web and Teams, will stop supporting Internet Explorer 11. In fact, Teams will stop supporting IE11 as early as November 30, which means you may be unable to use the service altogether, or experience some kind of problem with it. The rest of Microsoft 365 will stop supporting the browser a full year from today, on August 17, 2021.

One of the big new features of the new Edge is IE Mode, which is meant to ensure complete compatibility with legacy apps and websites that require IE11. This essentially means that IE11 apps will be housed in a tab inside Edge, acting like a regular website, thus removing the need to use a modern browser and IE11 at the same time. This is an enterprise-only feature, though.

• By indospot
      Twitter.com drops support for Internet Explorer 11, adds new features
      by João Carrasqueira

Every month or so, Twitter releases a list with a roundup of the updates made to its PWA experience over the past few weeks. The changelog for June is available today, and it includes a couple of new features, but also some sad news if you're still using Internet Explorer. In terms of new features, there's newly-added support for tweet drafts, which can be saved for later. This feature was announced separately late last month and should already be available to most users.

Another major new feature is the new quick access panel for DMs. For a small number of users on widescreen displays, it should be possible to access your messages from a panel in the bottom right of the page, without leaving the current page. Another new feature is the ability to customize Lists with a custom banner image.

There is some less positive news, though, with the Twitter website no longer supporting Internet Explorer 11 officially. Officially supported browsers include Edge, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and any Chromium-based browsers.

There are also some updates to existing features, including some that revolve around last month's addition of a timeline for retweets with comments. Here's what's changed:

Finally, there are some bug fixes as usual. Here's what's been fixed:

These updates tend to roll out to users gradually, so you may need to wait a little longer before the new features show up, or you may have had them for a while now.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft reminds enterprise users of IE10 to migrate to IE11 as end of support nears
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft’s Internet Explorer has had its share of popularity in the early days of the web. The browser’s monopoly has even gotten the Redmond giant into legal troubles. Though its market share was eventually toppled by Google’s Chrome when it came to consumers, many enterprises still rely on IE for their legacy applications. With Internet Explorer 10 (IE10) reaching end of support this month (well, almost) for Windows Server 2012 and Windows Embedded 8 Standard, Microsoft is issuing a reminder to enterprises to migrate to IE11.

The company began letting Windows Server 2012 and Windows Embedded 8 Standard customers pilot the migration to IE11 back in January 2019. The firm notes that the upgrade to IE11 will ease the migration path to Windows 10, Windows Server 2016 or 2019, or Windows 10 IoT.

Up until now, IE11 had been labeled as ‘Optional’ in Windows Update and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). A standalone update package was also released for IE11 through the Microsoft Update Catalog. However, customers of the said OSes will now notice that starting February 2020, the then ‘Optional’ update in the Update Catalog and WSUS will be labeled as a ‘Recommended’ update. For those looking at Windows Update, the package will be flagged in the ‘Important’ section.

Post upgrade, users will also have to install the latest cumulative update for IE11, termed “Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 11” from the Update Catalog, WSUS, or Windows Update. The company notes that updates for the browser will be included in the Monthly Roll-up packages in the Update Catalog and WSUS later in 2020.

Microsoft adds that “Upgrading to the latest version of Internet Explorer will ease your migration to Windows 10 and also allow you to reduce the number of Internet Explorer versions you support in your environment”. Users can use the ‘Enterprise Mode’ in IE11 for increased compatibility which launches IE10 based applications in ‘compatibility mode’.

As with the final update for Windows 7, the final update for IE10 will be released on 11 February 2020, which happens to be Patch Tuesday of the month.

• By Rich Woods
      Today's Windows 10 Insider Preview build disables VBScript in Internet Explorer by default
      by Rich Woods

Earlier today, Microsoft released Windows 10 for PCs build 16237 to the Fast ring, adding a number of new features and changes. In a separate announcement, the company said that in this build, VBScript will be disabled in Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) Internet and Restricted Sites Zones by default.

VBScript is something that Microsoft is gradually phasing out of its browsers, as it's not part of Edge at all, and it's an officially deprecated scripting language in IE11. The ability to block VBScript first showed up in the Creators Update and the April cumulative security update for Internet Explorer, but this is the first time that that option is turned on by default, and if you're not an Insider, you'll see this change in the Fall Creators Update.

As with the change that was made in April, users of previous versions of Windows will still see this, but it will come in the form a cumulative security update. Of course, there will still be methods for enabling VBScript, as IE11 is still included in Windows 10 for the purpose of backward compatibility.

Microsoft suggests that if you have any feedback on this, head over to the Feedback Hub.

• By flynempire
      Hello I have a friend who is having an issue I cannot resolve at the moment. He is on Windows 10 using IE11. He opens up IE with 3 home pages in tabs and one is Yahoo Spain.

The issue is the following. He always get prompted for security certificate and it does not let him proceed anywhere on the web. I imported for the moment his favorites into Chrome so he can use something but wants to use IE. The certificate points to something call optimatic.com. 

I have done extensive Google search but no luck in finding a solution. Has any one come across this before and found a fix? Please let me know. 7 days now and annoying. I have unchecked the check for server revocation, cleared SSL state, etc and nothing.

Thanks for any help