Suffering serious permission issues

Hello,

For some odd reason, the permission on a NAS (QNAP TS-469U-RP) have "confused" themselves.

Im toying around (problably too much) and it seems that now it doesnt apply any change. Just gets stuck applying them (been at 0% for hours)

The next step Im gonna do is turn off and on the NAS. Im not a fan but...

Why could this have happened? I mean Im looking at the permission and they are all perfect but they dont get applied.

it's your QNAP? Are you using ACLs? Then i'm afraid to say what i've said before: ACL in the QNAP is crap; not even robocopy can copy the ACL into a QNAP because their implementation is so bad.

If you are not using ACL's then you are using QNAPs own permissions (local users and groups); a reboot *might* solve that issue but i would backup any critical information before. Also how's the disks, is the SMART showing that they are all OK? CPU and RAM are on normal levels?

1 it is a nas

2 they don't like ad permissions 100% of the time

3 it is a nas

You are better off doing a Iscsi connection to a windows server and having the windows server manage the permissions/share.  I have had my fair share of nas devices (buffalo, netgear, seagate, lacie to name a few brands) sometimes taking windows permissions and many times not with their built in AD conduit.  I mean sure it looks great and pulls info, but then they eventually run into your issue you are having.

1 it is a nas

2 they don't like ad permissions 100% of the time

3 it is a nas

You are better off doing a Iscsi connection to a windows server and having the windows server manage the permissions/share.  I have had my fair share of nas devices (buffalo, netgear, seagate, lacie to name a few brands) sometimes taking windows permissions and many times not with their built in AD conduit.  I mean sure it looks great and pulls info, but then they eventually run into your issue you are having.

yep, i currently only use the iSCSI protocol but even that can go to hell if the NAS decides to reboot while the host is online and accessing those volumes, like it happened to me: all the volumes gone bye bye because of a bug in the software of the NAS that, in certain circumstances, could reboot itself. and it did.

Hello,

Um ok :laugh: Noone has said anything about what to even check...

Anyways, Im gonna keep going at it and see if I can solve it.

Im gonna problably start splitting up folders into shares as I only have ONE share and I see that as a mistake now.

you need access to  the back ground coding in the nas box.  If you have access to it you can properly troubleshoot the link between it and active directory.  Nas boxes offer very little to attempt to troubleshoot with other than saying that they are poorly designed. 

Check this, you don't have access to the tools needed to properly troubleshoot the communication issue between the nas and the AD server or the applied permissions on the nas box.  It is an on or off feature with nothing else to assist you with your troubles.  You can check the event logs in you ad server to see if there is a security issue going on, I highly doubt it. 

the logging on the QNAP (assuming it's the QNAP) is crap; Lenovo-EMC ones have a better diagnostic tool but still is pretty much useless.

I don't know what to say to him, since he doesn't have the tools or the access to proper diagnostic the problem; better off contactic QNAP about that issue (good luck!) or a faster solution: reboot the QNAP; he didn't even responded to my questions, so i really don't know how to proper help him :s

Im gonna problably start splitting up folders into shares as I only have ONE share and I see that as a mistake now.

hum...only ONE share? :( please awnser my questions, since this seems to be the same problem i had experienced before.