Can You Leave a Phone on Charge for Two Weeks?


Recommended Posts

Sir Topham Hatt

If I am going away, I don't want to miss any calls or anything.

Can I leave my phone on charge for two weeks or will it knacker the battery / fire?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick H.

They always suggest that you don't keep it charging once it is fully charged, but in all the devices that I've ever owned I've left them plugged in for extended periods of time without an issue. It may reduce the lifespan of the battery, but not by any noticeable amount. Personally I just think about the house phone which spends more time in its cradle "charging" than it does outside of it, and that continues to function just fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cork1958

As far as house phone, I leave mine plugged in all the time. They've all lasted as long as anyone else's, at least. All 5 are at least 3 years old! :)

 

It seems to me that people who leave them out of cradle for extended times, their phones die faster, IMO.

 

I don't think I'd leave my cell phone plugged in for extended periods though, but I don't think I'd worry about if I some how did either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+LogicalApex

They always suggest that you don't keep it charging once it is fully charged, but in all the devices that I've ever owned I've left them plugged in for extended periods of time without an issue. It may reduce the lifespan of the battery, but not by any noticeable amount. Personally I just think about the house phone which spends more time in its cradle "charging" than it does outside of it, and that continues to function just fine.

Depends on how long you own your phone and your usage cases...

 

It will cause the death of your battery prematurely, but death doesn't mean it can't hold a charge at all. It just means that the battery now holds less than ~70% of its original capacity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
exotoxic

Depends what type of battery it is, lithium ion battery stop charging when full, don't know about others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick H.

It will cause the death of your battery prematurely, but death doesn't mean it can't hold a charge at all. It just means that the battery now holds less than ~70% of its original capacity.

Yes of course. And I have just thought of one object of mine that shows this: my laptop. When I got it about 5/6 years ago it had a battery life of about 8 hours. But since it is normally plugged in to a power supply, these days unplugging it gets about 45 minutes of usage. :laugh: As you said though, that doesn't mean that the laptop is dead. If I wanted to I could just go out and buy a new battery, although I may as well just get a new laptop while I'm at it. ;)
Link to post
Share on other sites
Buttus

i've wondered that same thing for such a long time.   If i leave my cellphone plugged in, how does it handle the battery draining over time?

 

i mean, if it's plugged in and hits 100%, and then i guess it switches to just using the power from the plug?  or does it run off battery to a certain % and then switch to charging again?  even if it runs off the power from the plug, the battery would still drain over a longer (much longer) time.

 

hmmmm

Link to post
Share on other sites
a1ien

Of course you can! Don't listen to anyone who says it will cause significant problems.

 

If you want to maximize battery life, keep it in a cool place (but ABOVE 5C while operating). Lithium ion batteries are more sensitive to high temperature than they are to the charge state.

Link to post
Share on other sites
techbeck

I put mine on the charge when I go to bed.  Never had a problem with it reducing battery life or harming the system.  I also keep my tablet plugged in all the time. Even when it is off.  No problems there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+Dick Montage

If u r going away and leaving your phone at home, you WILL miss calls, surely?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Xenon

Buy a timer, the kind where you turn on the lights at a set time. Instead of plugging in your lamp, plug your phone charger in. Have it charge a few hours a day then stop charging. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon

 

So I don't it being a problem leaving it plugged in all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
SMELTN

man.. I don't know if I believe this..  You hear it both ways..  Some say you want to let it die all the way and fully charge because if you don't the battery will not be calibrated right, because these batteries have memory, per say.. 

 

Now Steve is saying DON'T let it die..  I don't know what to believe

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.