Another Member Joins The Ranks!

For the past month I've been looking at phones to upgrade to, my upgrade date was the 24th of February and as the day got closer and closer I found myself scratching my head, I just had no idea what I wanted. For the past 4-5 years I've used Android and loved every minute of it, I loved the freedom and being able to change my ROM every other day. I loved all of the interesting apps, I loved everything about it. So, as the day approached I found that I had 3 front runners, the Xperia Z1, the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One Max. I just couldn't make up my mind, they were all so similar and I knew that I'd be rooting it anyways so I don't have to worry about the crappy custom skins and bloatware which made it even harder to decide. I've never liked Apple products, but this isn't an Apple bashing thread so let's not get into that, and WP8 just wasn't for me... or so I thought.

For one reason or another I just decided early on that I didn't like WP8, it was Android or nothing for me so I always skipped over WP8 news and didn't know anything, or had very limited knowledge at least, about phones running it. I eventually decided to pop into the Vodafone shop (yes I know, Vodafone, but they have the best coverage in my area) and started trying out devices. Still, they all just felt... the same, then I noticed a little display tucked away in beside the counter, and there it was, the Lumia 1020. I instantly fell in love with it, the rounded sides, the square body with the rounded screen, the physical buttons (which I prefer over on screen buttons), just everything about it appealed to me... except it ran WP8. I thought I may as well try it out, and while it was a tied down display model, I was pretty impressed by the way it ran, everything was nice and smooth and the transitions from one screen to another were so fluid. I really did feel it starting to draw me in but... apps, the only thing that I could see as being a complete and utter downside was the "lack" of apps. 

So the next day I was sitting at home with the Android dilemma again and found myself sitting flipping through the app drawer on my HTC One, then something occurred to me... I used about 5 apps. Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Feedly and Snapchat (yes, I know, but I only use it to barrage my friends with stupid pictures constantly because they kept telling me to get it). After some research I found that all of these were available on WP8 in some shape or form. So then I started reading into Lumia 1020 reviews and I liked what I read. I've always wanted to have a go at photography but could never justify forking out the money for a good camera and that being the main selling point of the 1020 really appealed to me. 

So yesterday, in case you didn't guess from the title, I got an iPhone 5s! Kidding, I love my new Lumia 1020! I'll be honest, I did buy it with the mindset that if I hated it I'd wait till WP8.1 was released and if I still hated it I'd just sell it and go back to Android but I am loving the experience! I know it's still early days and over time I'll probably find some annoyances but, to Microsoft and everyone who I ever made fun of for owning a WP8 device, I'm sorry. 

So uhh,,, that's my story! I kinda have no idea why I didn't just write a post that said "I bought a Lumia 1020, it's good!", just in a chatty mood I guess :p Also I still like Android, don't get me wrong, it's an amazing platform and I'd still happily own an Android device, I just realised that you could love 2 different OS's! 

• Like 3