Satellite provided Internet on tropical island.

I am hoping someone has some familiarity with C-band satellite dishes, or satellite-based business internet services.

I have been given the task of doing all the IT work for a company that is building a production plant in Fiji.

The plant is too far from the city to run lines from a major telco & it is pretty isolated from anything.

I am wondering what the options are with the large dish based telecom. (the 7' ones - think they're called C-band)

I know that Hughes is global, but from what Ive seen of their residential crap  - I REALLY dont want any part of that nightmare.

I dont need any kind of super fast connection, but I need enough to send video to remote users (like if someone wanted to view security camera footage from the US)

It will only be 20 users at the absolute most at one time, so the needs are not the issue - its the location.

If someone has used mobile sat internet, or a large dish based connection - any insight would be appreciated.

The other task I have is building all of the workstations.  They want custom-built due to the power to the plan will be propane-based - and the current may be a little iffy. (the PSU is usually an Achilles' heal of the mass produced computers.) - Im not debating the merits of custom built systems, just doing what they want & cashing the check.

I don't know much about it, but something I've read is that satellite signals can be attenuated by rain. Considering the hurricanes you can get in that area (I believe?), that is something you may wish to be aware of. 

• Like 1

Yeah, they have a monsoon season that lasts from November to April I believe.  I know the investors are aware of these things, but options are limited.

The first batch of numbers are pretty good.  

For a 3Mb/sec down & 1Mb/sec up is $2700/month - with an initial investment of $12,000 for a self-aligning dish.

The problem is they (sat provider) put bandwidth caps on accounts & I have to guesstimate how many GB they will use in a month....

There will only be a couple of people with large bandwidth needs, and its not like they are going to be online much.  I hope I can find another company with larger usage caps, or faster speeds.

I will be going there in September for 6 months, so now till then will be research & prep.

Hello,

http://www.kidanet.com.fj/pages.cfm/our-services/work/service-price-chart.html?CFID=3429671&CFTOKEN=cbe84bea616a3093-B8C6ED72-B025-7887-94C4C9CA1DFE3889

I did a quick Google search which I imagine you have too but this came up; VERY expensive though.

Also 3G-4G? Bandwidth caps will go from 3Mb to maybe 512Kbps but......

Sorry I cant help you much just trying some options :)

I live on a tiny island and a lot of people here use a 3G stick for internet, it has a simcard which you can load up with as many GB you want 

Don't know if something like that might work

Hello,

http://www.kidanet.com.fj/pages.cfm/our-services/work/service-price-chart.html?CFID=3429671&CFTOKEN=cbe84bea616a3093-B8C6ED72-B025-7887-94C4C9CA1DFE3889

I did a quick Google search which I imagine you have too but this came up; VERY expensive though.

Also 3G-4G? Bandwidth caps will go from 3Mb to maybe 512Kbps but......

Sorry I cant help you much just trying some options :)

I live on a tiny island and a lot of people here use a 3G stick for internet, it has a simcard which you can load up with as many GB you want 

Don't know if something like that might work

Thanks guys for the info.  I dont have the hard numbers yet, but I am thinking 5 people at most, onsite, will need net access.  The real bandwidth drain will be when the investors (my father) want to view the plants' cameras from back in the US.

I told him the first round of figures looks to be a $15,000 investment up front, with $2500/mo & his reply was "well, we have to have it" - so I am in the beginning stages, and appreciate the help.

Stoffel - Honduras is not the same as the S. Pacific - there are no 3G/4G sats over there :)