Windows 7 service pack question

I am reinstalling my windows 7, 64 bit. I have some question:

1. Is that correct that installing the service pack first is better than running the windows update directly (after installing so, I will run the windows update)

2 do I need to install sp1 first then sp2? Or directly sp2. Then run Windows update

Thank you

• Like 1

1. Correct, first install latest service pack.

2. SP2 does not released for Windows 7, so SP1 is your only choice.

Why not look for a Windows 7 w/SP1 ISO online? It's not pirating if you have a legit key.

Also, there will not be a SP2 for Windows 7. Ever.

Thanks zlip792.

How if sp2 already released?

It will make everyone life easy. Directly update to it and save precious time currently it takes to update from SP1.

If released, installing SP1 needs vanish and direct installing SP2 works.

Like others mentioned going with MSDN Legit ISO of Windows 7 + SP1 with your legit key is best method to go ahead.

Thanks All. currently I did not have the ISO and already install it. 

The update still take alot of time. I wish Microsoft releasing the SP2.

But look like microsoft is busy with Windows 8.x

Thanks All. currently I did not have the ISO and already install it. 

The update still take alot of time. I wish Microsoft releasing the SP2.

But look like microsoft is busy with Windows 8.x

If you require Windows 7 SP1 in the future, it would be wise to create Windows 7 installation media that already has SP1 integrated. I have provided a webpage that lists several Microsoft disc images of Windows 7 SP1. You are allowed to burn the appropriate version (the one you have a license for) to optical media, such as a DVD.

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

MS purposely cancelled Sp 2 in order to force us to use Windows 8 with more updates. It failed.

Just install Windows 7 and hit Windows Update. I believe MS recommends all the updates pre 2011 installed first similiar to Office 2010 Sp2. After several hundred updates and gigabytes later it will eventually be updated ;-)

... freaking MS

But it will get their eventually and I recommend doing it this way rather than installing Sp 1 on a fresh 2009 image.

If you require Windows 7 SP1 in the future, it would be wise to create Windows 7 installation media that already has SP1 integrated. I have provided a webpage that lists several Microsoft disc images of Windows 7 SP1. You are allowed to burn the appropriate version (the one you have a license for) to optical media, such as a DVD.

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

A little heads up. The product key may not work as Windows 7 sp1 is not the same as Windows 7. 

My machine I lucked out on, but others who do not have the oem get screwed as the key then becomes unactivated.

You can make yourself an image with all the updates included, or, if you're lazy/don't know how, you can get one from the lawless part of the internet. Use your legit key though.

MS purposely cancelled Sp 2 in order to force us to use Windows 8 with more updates. It failed.

Just install Windows 7 and hit Windows Update. I believe MS recommends all the updates pre 2011 installed first similiar to Office 2010 Sp2. After several hundred updates and gigabytes later it will eventually be updated ;-)

... freaking MS

But it will get their eventually and I recommend doing it this way rather than installing Sp 1 on a fresh 2009 image.

A little heads up. The product key may not work as Windows 7 sp1 is not the same as Windows 7. 

My machine I lucked out on, but others who do not have the oem get screwed as the key then becomes unactivated.

This is complete nonsense. Windows 7 keys activate Windows 7 SP1 installations just fine.

I have seen folks who bought the regular edition (non OEM)get accused of being thiefs when calling MS after the product keys wont work. Turns out the image of Sp 1 had a different key. OEM editions may not have this much of an issue but it happens.