Can I keep a wifi router on top of my external hard disks

I recently got a new wifi router and it is pretty bigger then the one i earlier had. The only way I could accommodate the router on my desktop is to move stuff away.

But I have two external hard disks which are the western digital elements, I have kept them in upright position. I was thinking of keeping the router on top of these two hard disks and saving space. The hard disks are in the open, on the desk. Also they are not constantly used, few times a week other wise switched off.

My question is will it be safe for the hard disks, do you'll think the router would create issues with the hard disks.

Please note this is only a guess, as Budman would know a hell of a lot more about this than I, but at a guess I'd say yes, it'll be ok, Routers use radio (unless I'm mistaken) and assuming your HDD's are in metal cases, they should be adequately shielded, but please, don't let me set your mind at ease prematurely over this, as like I mentioned, I know very little about whether or not routers can interfere with external drives.

Hello,

I think it would be a better idea to put the HDDs on TOP of the router.

So they're easier to accidentally knock over as they're spinning?  Ummm, no.

FWIW, I've have a small pile of hard drives sitting right next to my router for years, and wi-fi is not a problem.  Don't worry about needing any additional "shielding", the wireless bands (2.4/5GHz) are supposed to go through everything safely; a wi-fi signal isn't going to flip random bits on your spinning platters.  If proximity was a problem in that sense, it wouldn't make any difference whether it's sitting of top of your hard drives or it's in the next room.

You can build a shelf with plywood a few of 2x2 studs.. or 1x1 depends the size of the shelf...  similar to the TV stand with keyboard slide into under the TV.

and you can place it on your desk and place your HDDs under the shelf and place your router on top of the shelf...    so the airflow will flow smoothly.

Hello,

So they're easier to accidentally knock over as they're spinning?  Ummm, no.

You accidentally knock over one HDD, you most likely knock the other and obviously your router falls as well. Take your pick.

Aren't those wdc elements pretty small?  How are you balancing the router on top of them?  You stated you have them vertical so I assume they have some sort of little stand you attach to them to allow that, your not just balancing them on their edge? Can you post a picture - just curious.

As long as your not blocking airflow I don't see how it would have much effect on performance of either device, and no I wouldn't worry about the RF wiping your disks or anything.

But it doesn't seem like a very stable setup, and devices falling over could damage them.  Even if only a few inches, etc.  I would look to something more stable to sit your router on.. I have both of mine sitting on top of small cardboard boxes that equipment came in (nic or the router itself sort of thing)  Just sitting on top of my desk few feet from each other, 1 is g other is N.  They are on different channels so not really an issue being so close.  I am not seeing any performance problems with the setup that is for sure.

Hello,

You accidentally knock over one HDD, you most likely knock the other and obviously your router falls as well. Take your pick.

I wasn't suggesting it's gonna make any difference if it's the whole thing that's come crashing down to the floor.  If you just knock over what's sitting on top, then it's much preferable to have the router sitting on top of the drives rather than the other way around as the router doesn't have platters spinning at thousands of RPMs.  Tell me I didn't really have to explain this...

Hello,

I wasn't suggesting it's gonna make any difference if it's the whole thing that's come crashing down to the floor.  If you just knock over what's sitting on top, then it's much preferable to have the router sitting on top of the drives rather than the other way around as the router doesn't have platters spinning at thousands of RPMs.  Tell me I didn't really have to explain this...

It really makes really no difference.

And like Praetor said, nothing inside a router or inside a HDD should affect each other.

hard disks?

No... But you can mount the router on the wall if you want to... which you can see the mount holes on your bottom of the router. Which you could hang it on the wall...

Some people do this way... especially the companies.

There are external HDD's with Wi-Fi built in, so if they can produce such a product, then YES you can put your router on or near your external HD's.

HDD's have a shielding to prevent WiFi and other signals interfering with them, so they will not be effected by WiFi signals from your router.

the only issue you may have is from the heat from the HDD's and the Router, the Router may overheat and cause your internet speed to drop, or the HDD's may have hot spots where there router is sitting.