Probably won't happen for a while, and with the upcoming external HDD storage, which is usable for games., I can't see them rushing

• Like 2

I actually think we'll see one holiday 2014, if they don't want to reduce the overall price of the XB1 to match the PS4 at $399, then you add value with a 1tb drive for $499, or come down a bit to $449 ($499 with a free game).

• Like 1

Good question. I just hope when, External HDD goes live, it supports 4TB drives. That should cover me for quite some time...

yes, most likely will happen. Expect it summer or early fall. So far the 500GB drive is fine, but needless to say it could have been larger.

It's just a shame you have to void the warranty to change the internal drive. I know someone who's upgraded the internal to a 2TB drive and everything has been great for him.

• Like 2

It's just a shame you have to void the warranty to change the internal drive. I know someone who's upgraded the internal to a 2TB drive and everything has been great for him.

Any link on how to do that while voiding my warranty?

Any link on how to do that while voiding my warranty?

I assume you meant to ask "without voiding my warranty"? And if so, impossible.

You need to open the case / remove the holographic sticker. Then follow this

Why would you want to open the case up though? Knowing that you can attach any USB drive to the machine, you can add tons of storage w/o voiding a warranty.

Why would you want to open the case up though? Knowing that you can attach any USB drive to the machine, you can add tons of storage w/o voiding a warranty.

That feature hasn't been enabled yet and it's more convenient/cheaper/usually better spec for $ for internal.

That feature hasn't been enabled yet and it's more convenient/cheaper/usually better spec for $ for internal.

since when is it cheaper to get a large internal 2.5 drive over a 3.5 usb drive? you can get 3TB USB3 externals for around $99 all the time

since when is it cheaper to get a large internal 2.5 drive over a 3.5 usb drive? you can get 3TB USB3 externals for around $99 all the time

And if it's anything like the Xbox 360 hdd support, you will able to plug and play your external HDD on the X1 to any X1. I love the portability. I can take games to friends and families on my HDD and not have to worry about lugging my console around or downloading everything onto their console.

Not always but if you shop around it's possible. Obviously not for 3 TB when those don't come in 2.5" flavour yet. Exts are less convenient as I said though.

Any performance gains to be had?

I thought the XO only recognised 500GB of storage and still only showed 356GB free regardless of drive size?

Can you install a SSD on the Xbox One?

If you plugged one in externally, would the USB 3.0 keep up with SSD speed?

Sure, but I doubt it would make enough of a difference to make it worth the cost. 

Sure, but I doubt it would make enough of a difference to make it worth the cost. 

Probably not, but I was just curious.

I'll probably get the biggest hard drive I can find once this feature is enabled.

Can you install a SSD on the Xbox One?

If you plugged one in externally, would the USB 3.0 keep up with SSD speed?

The Xbox One and PS4 don't benefit from the added speeds of SSD's like regular PC's do. Lots of tests have shown marginal/ignorable performance increases.

Personally, I can't wait until we no longer have to worry about local storage space. It seems we're long overdue for that type of advancement.

Still a ways to go, it is crazy expensive (at least in Canada, can't imagine other places) for unlimited internet.  I was able to finally get unlimited, but it costs me 140$ per month (45down, 3up, unlimited bw).  I got a deal by telling the lady I was going to flat out cancel, so it's only 100$ per month.. but still.

If local storage was gone, then we would need to have the internet stucture world wide to support that.

Still a ways to go, it is crazy expensive (at least in Canada, can't imagine other places) for unlimited internet.  I was able to finally get unlimited, but it costs me 140$ per month (45down, 3up, unlimited bw).  I got a deal by telling the lady I was going to flat out cancel, so it's only 100$ per month.. but still.

If local storage was gone, then we would need to have the internet stucture world wide to support that.

Ah, yes, good point. I keep forgetting that unlimited bandwidth isn't everywhere. I consider myself lucky here and I'll stop complaining. :hmmm:  :)

The drive on X1 is silly easy to replace, nothing custom about it. She's built like the original Xbox, just regular parts that come out no problem. But not sure how'd you get the OS on the bigger drive from the Samsung that's in there? I think there was a link mentioned above? And yes, warranty nullified on the spot clearly, so maybe not a good idea. I'm ok with the space, on my PC I have 1.5TB and that's been fine for ages, even with like 20-30 installed games on Steam at any given time.

I install PC games to my SSD, for performance, and it's only a 256GB so plus the OS and apps and games it's not that free, but really most games, once I finish them I don't replay them over, so when I'm done they get removed from my drive.   If I had the XB1 and was running low I'd just delete games I'll never play again.

• Like 1

Yes, it really isn't that bad. Even with 50GB games it's still OK, and maybe even adds an element of rationality to things, as you can't just gorge yourself on games like a lunatic. Not that i know anyone that does something like that.

EDIT: what do you mean you don't have an X1? What? How dare you? Get it NOWWW!